PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,923 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I just had the last of the L1pton tea, hurray! Now for a few days with good tea, and then I will see what else needs using up.

To the attic: 3 long sleeves, 2 T-shirts, 3 pairs of socks (all too small for dd2), 1 vest (too small for dd1)
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • Icey77
    Icey77 Posts: 1,247 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    My kids school asked for outgrown socks and shoes to send to their partner school in Kenya ... well I was happy to take a big bag of socks, plimsolls and shoes straight down.

I had been hoarding it all ready for the next Bags2School date but this works just as well, its out of my house and the kids in Kenya benefit. I'm happy with that :)

2 bags of gubbins to the CS yesterday and a bag of jigsaws will be going into work with DH this week (if he remembers!) to pass on to colleagues with younger kids.

It's all go at home, I have my eye on a fireguard in the shed. It needs a brush down and then it will go on to FB. I hope it's dry enough this weekend to turf out the small shed which has got at least 2 boxes of tiles left over from before the extension was built. High time they can go too!
    Whether you think you can or you can’t, you’re probably right ~ Henry Ford
  • Siebrie
    Thursday and Friday I had courgette soup for lunch, from the freezer. This has been in the freezer for at least 18 months, as it was homegrown courgette, and I didn't have any courgettes last year (I had put the plants in the soil and then it got incredibly hot for a long time; the plants just never grew). On Thursday I had the soup 'as is', but on Friday I added 1 ball of weird frozen spinach, 2 small cooked and frozen potatoes, 1 teaspoon of veggie veggie stock bbd 2016. It was really nice :) and there is more space in my freezer :).

On Wednesday I cleared the shelf over the coat rack, and found two empty boxes for electrical items. I gave them to husband to decide, and he threw them both out; win! One of the boxes was a very sturdy small square box, which I have repurposed as 'new battery container'; winwin! It fits just right on onne of the desk shelves in our home office; winwinwin!

This morning I cleaned one shelf in my pantry, discovering two bags with African herbs (kinkeliba and bissap (aka dried hibiscus), mainly); a large tin of split pea soup bbd 02 2019; new batteries (huh?). Herbs and soup are now in the kitchen for checking/deciding/using up/eating. Shelf is clean, and only few items are returned.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Various bits of paperwork going.....slowly! DH bought a pillar drill for the garage and saved the box for me. I did thing Why? & then realised I've some crockery to kondo and it will need a sturdy box to transport to the CS - good boy!!
    Been out in the garden when I can kondoing the dead stalks of plants & generally tidying up. I've found the more you can get done at this time of year really pays dividends later in the season. At least the green bin is full up - very satisfying to get my money's worth ;)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Part of the Furniture Mortgage-free Glee! PPI Party Pooper
    silvasava wrote: »
    Been out in the garden when I can kondoing the dead stalks of plants & generally tidying up. I've found the more you can get done at this time of year really pays dividends later in the season. At least the green bin is full up - very satisfying to get my money's worth ;)

Kondoing in the garden here too today - large patch of a lovely but outgrown its welcome geranium, almost dug out and garden waste bin full :)

Trip to CS later to day - first proper one this year. I have been accumulating stuff to take and it really needs to go this weekend. I am challenging myself to get rid of 2019 things this year.....not counting individual tiny things like a bag full of felt pens that are all still good ( I tested them all!). I will just keepa running total privately to keep myself amused:D 5/7 items sold on Eb*y too very pleased with the extra £50 that yielded.
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Hi all!

I’m getting a new kitchen fitted next week so I’ve been ruthless in my kondoing - two more c/s bags donated today with various items from boots to lampshades to kitchen utensils to cat trees!

When we get the new kitchen, the pans are the next thing to be kondoed - anything that doesn’t work on an induction job is out! Yay! Been looking for an excuse to get rid of inherited pans for ages as we have far too many but OH doesn’t like parting with them!
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 5,027 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    After the re-arranging and clearing out of items from 2 of the kitchen cupboards I ventured upstairs and have at last dealt with the OOD items in the first aid box, paracetamol, anti-histamines, ancient and part used bottles and tubes of this and that. A small bag ready to drop into the pharmacy for disposal tomorrow and a bag of clothes and household bits to the CS. Another bag of clothes, costume jewellery and skin care items left at CS in nearby town of Friday.:D

Looked through my pile of knitting UFOs and things that did not quite work out, trying to get everything into one place, a snood has been unpicked and started again, hopefully will look and feel better on when I have re-made it differently, also some yarns earmarked for CS or to a friend who is crocheting blankets for animal charity.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • This Jan in addition to the previous 12 bin bags we have just cleared some misc items and have another 1 bin bag worth (actually three smaller bags, one for charity, one for bin and one for So 13 bin bags out of a one bedroom flat.

Feb update. 1 more bin bag for the charity shop. I'm surprised actually to have found another bags worth.

Another 3 bin bags for the bin or recycling. This is from the garden and shed. I have more of this to do tomorrow and a run to the dump.

So at 17! Bin bags worth so far from a one bedroomed flat!

I also had a bag of bag for life shopping bags and I have neatly folded them Marie Kondo style and put an elastic band round them.... so four will go in my car and four in my partners. They look so small folded!

Still haven't tackled my cable box or put up the pictures... today I did a deep clean of the flat (hense finding another bags worth for the charity shop) and started on the garden and shed.

I have piled up the items left 'to do' in the middle of the living room floor. Tonight will be sorting out this pile once I have cleaned the bathroom, then tomorrow the rest of the garden and shed and the dump.
    19/12/14: Spent 10 years of savings!!
    :heart2: ..... to buy my first home. :heart2:
    11K OP 31.03.19

Current goal: €151,000 deposit Ireland and counting, to buy Spring 2022 we hope!
  • Siebrie
    Well doen, A Silver Lining!

I made granola from cheap muesli, the last of some gifted honey, and the last of the dried exotic fruit cubes I rescued from work last year. Two nice glass containers empty and ready for a new job: spices, herbs, nuts,.... let's see what presents itself first.
  • Icey77
    Icey77 Posts: 1,247 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Siebrie wrote: »
    Well doen, A Silver Lining!

I made granola from cheap muesli, the last of some gifted honey, and the last of the dried exotic fruit cubes I rescued from work last year. Two nice glass containers empty and ready for a new job: spices, herbs, nuts,.... let's see what presents itself first.

Ohhh, how did you make the granola Siebrie?
    Whether you think you can or you can’t, you’re probably right ~ Henry Ford
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.