KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

edited 22 January 2019 at 10:32AM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.4K replies 522.7K views

Replies

• wortwort Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Defrosting the big freezer today. Nothing to throw away !! I'm keeping on top of what goes in and out now.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • VJsmumVJsmum Forumite
    6.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Afternoon all - long time no visit...

loving the hair talk - mine is shoulder length, thick, and naturally curly - it went curly after i had DS 19 years ago:eek: I am like daisy, if i tie mine back when wet it would still be damp when i go to bed. i usually straighten mine - mainly to ensure it is dry and to strip the volume out of it. it is the thickest hair any hairdresser i've ever had has ever seen... No idea what colour it is, i have it dyed every 3 months but lately have gone blonder :rotfl:

Our house is nearly straight after 'floodgate' last september - yes, it has taken that long (though partially cos real life gets in the way). i have one large desk still to remove - i've tried FB marketplace, offering it free, and freecycle but no takers :( (although there have been a lot of inane questions). So I am about to phone the council to arrange it to be collected with the rubbish..:(

Just as we have got straight though, DS is about to come back with his uni stuff...:eek:

Any advice on how to dispose of some old SLR cameras and lenses? Is there a market?
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • SiebrieSiebrie Forumite
    2K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Last weekend I went to a friend to help pack for her move, but when I came there, she told me she had decided to have the movers pack :) So all we had to do was kondo :D

We went through her wardrobe and she threw out about half, mostly because she had outgrown them, and had kept them for growing back into. 1 Item was too large, and I asked if she wanted to keep it for growing into, but she didn't :) I took all the clothes home, aired them, gave half to the WI pop-up shop and half will travel with dh to his mother country on Friday. We have many children's clothes to give to his relatives, but not many women's clothes, and as these are larger-sized, they are perfect for his relatives (that's not a jibe, just a fact. Larger-sized women are more appreciated in his country - my size 14 is considered on the brink of poverty-thin).
    She threw away soooo much stuff, and every single item had a story, so we talked a lot! Well, to be honest, she talked a lot, I mainly listened; she's single and working from home a lot of the time. She is moving to move into a new house with her father; her mother passed away last year, and her father bought a new house that is suitable for separate living quarters.

My friend will live on the first floor (living room, bedroom, bathroom, small kitchen set-up in a corner of the living room), her father has a similar set-up downstairs, but with a full kitchen. The detached house has a large garden. I'm not sure my friend is entirely happy with this arrangement, although she does want to leave the village where she is now, and she finally managed to sell her house for a decent price (she tried twice before and there was no interest whatsoever).

We made a trip to the tip, and to a secondhand shop, and the house looked much emptier! I gave her shed a good scrub, removed cobwebs from the scullery, helped take stuff down from the attic (she didn't store much there, as it's difficult and dangerous to reach), removed dead growth from the garden/yard, and gave everything a good swipe. It's almost ready to be moved into by the new owner next week.
    Wombabeluba 2020! € 124,28 = £ 61.09
    2019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46
    Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31 = £ 2,969.05
  • SlinkySlinky Forumite
    6.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    VJsmum wrote: »

Any advice on how to dispose of some old SLR cameras and lenses? Is there a market?

Do you have a branch of London Camera Exchange anywhere near you? They do have some for sale on their website, not fetching great prices though. Ebay might be worth a try.
  • greentgreent Forumite
    8.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wow Pooky! Hopefully the weightloss is wanted and a good thing..? x

My hair is top-of-bust type length, with a reasonably full fringe. I had it cut in late Feb from mid back/ just below bra strap length and I think I'm going to go somewhere back in between. It's very, very fine - but there is masses of it. It easily takes 20-30 mins to dry with a hairdryer and if I had it coloured it takes around 90 minutes to put foils in because of how much there is. If I plait it wet before bed it is still damp the next morning. I'm just beginning to get grey threading through, but at 48 hardly any - not enough yet to really think about colouring it (plus I'm incredibly low maintenance - and that's why I have longer hair, not shorter - I go around 6-10 months in between cuts, don't dry/ straighten it unless at work (and then not always) and can twist it up into something reasonably smart quite quickly if needed :))

Not much KMing here at the mo, just the usual detritus being removed (although my favourite 3/4 trousers developed a hole in the middle of one cheek :eek: so had to go for recycling :(
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/19 £48986 2020 OPs (#18) £4980/6K
    Net sales 2020 £563.25/£500 Decluttering: 1550/2020
  • daisy_1571daisy_1571 Forumite
    486 posts
    Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    Evening,

Greent, dh cuts mine at the back every 6 monhs or so to neaten it up and one of us cuts the fringe when it gets so long into my eyes that i keep pushing it back and end up with a stupid cow lick. Here's to mse, must have saved a fortune over the years. I cut his which is even easier than mine as his us all long, no pesky fringe to keep straight lol. When we last went to a haidressers many many years ago it cost us a fiver each :beer:

Vjsmum, we had loads of cameras and lenses, enough to fill a holdall type bag about 3'x2'x1'. In 2014 we were offered £10 from a camera shop so they have been up the attic ever since. Recently we put them individually on @bay expecting the cameras to sit and the lenses to go since they fitted digital cameras too. However it was the old cameras that got snapped up. And unopened years-out-of-date film too. Apparently old fashioned film cameras are big now with the young ones. We have had 2 jessops open in town to do printing again! Who knew!!

Daisy
    "Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion" Take hold of every moment by anon

The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today
  • PookyPooky Forumite
    7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Greent - the weight loss seems to be purely down to going gluten free. I've not changed anything else but feel loads better.

VJs depending on the camera and the lenses there might be some worth selling but it might be nice to offer them to a local school or college, if they teach photography they'll be able to put them to good use. My eldest did photography at college and they had all manner of cameras to take apart and learn how they work and learnt how to clean lenses properly etc. My dad has a huge camera collection and buys and sells so his reject box went to the college and they were over the moon with them.

Nearly kondod myself yesterday as I managed to climb the loft ladder forgetting to duck under the door frame. I saw stars, muttered some newly invented swear words and had to sit down until I could see straight again. I did manage to get into the loft in the end and found 3 large bags of cushions up there that I'd saved for Justin...considering one of the bags I was putting up there was...yes a bag of cushions for Justin, I removed the older bags and they're now in the car to go to the tip.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • Knit_WitchKnit_Witch Forumite
    4.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hmm currently in the process of Kondoing my bank account :mad::mad::mad::mad:
    Must use my stash up!
  • SiebrieSiebrie Forumite
    2K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Knit_Witch wrote: »
    Hmm currently in the process of Kondoing my bank account :mad::mad::mad::mad:
    Why? Doesnt it spark joy? ;)
    Wombabeluba 2020! € 124,28 = £ 61.09
    2019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46
    Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31 = £ 2,969.05
  • Knit_WitchKnit_Witch Forumite
    4.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Siebrie wrote: »
    Why? Doesnt it spark joy? ;)

Seeing as how I haven't been able to access it for 4 days no ... err NO it doesn't :o
    Must use my stash up!