KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

edited 22 January 2019 at 10:32AM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.4K replies 522.7K views

Replies

• FlossFloss Forumite
    5.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Silva another one who went for the chop! Mine is going naturally "ash" so looks quite elegant if I blast it, but tidy waves if I don't :)
  • KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    34.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm wondering about short hair again ... I don't like how I look with short hair, and with all the scanning I'm doing, I'm seeing a lot of photographs! But I love the ease of short hair; and my hair isn't curly any more, it doesn't suit the shape of my face (uh, which used to be round, before I got old). I want to do something about it in the next few weeks, cos of the holiday. Decisions!
    /end ribbit.
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
  • wortwort Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I have mostly had short hair, occasionally I fancy growing it, but then I tie it up keep off my face it really doesn't suit me longer, pulls my face down makes me look older!!!!
    So back short I go at the moment it's shaved at the back and sides no 2 then layered on top usually pulled forward with fringe.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • IgamogamIgamogam Forumite
    6K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am still in love with my shoulder length hair and thick fringe. I have now convinced the hairdressers that I do not want it coloured - the grey bits dont bother me and will keep it long going for as long as poss - I love its versatility : its thick and wavy but I dont fuss with it - sometimes up sometime down sometimes straight sometimes not!! Depends on mood really :) I have to have it tied back for certain jobs though otherwise I just cant get going with a job - just like clothes. There are certain clothes I cant do certain jobs in.....I know weird :) MY DDs have very long thick hair and they found the drying tiresome - if left it could take over 24 hours so they went for the undercut. I was surprised at first but when hair down its unnoticeable and when up it looks quite attractive - dont think I could get away with it ;)

Mainly kondoeing in the garden this week. I have finally cleared clutter of coffee table today - I was convinced none of it was mine until I started :rotfl:
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • daisy_1571daisy_1571 Forumite
    486 posts
    Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    Evening all

Just popping in to catch up, been busy in rl for a while.

Loving the hair info - can picture you all much better now :beer:

Not understanding how long hair a bother tho - I have a fringe, a centre parting and I've had waist length hair since I was about 15 and it's never been shorter than bra strap length in almost 40 years. I wash it every day in the shower, wrap a towel round it while I dry myself then leave the house with it wet. (Lost count of the number of people at school and works over the years who told me I would get a cold if I did that). If I put it in a ponytail too quick and leave it like that it's still wet in the middle when I go to bed :rotfl: no idea where my hairdryer is as it is used more for drying paint in the garage than hairdressing.

Occasionally Ive had shaggy perms (remember them :T:T:T) and I've dyed it sometimes over the years for a change, usually red or purplish but in my early 40s I fulfilled a lifelong ambition and went black. Jeez I looked about 60 and did not suit it at all but I loved it. I also wasn't recognised by several people including my mother in law and scared dh every time he caught sight of me as he thought a witch was coming for him :rotfl:

My granda used to tell a wonderful poem:

as a beauty I'm not a star,
    there are others more handsome by far,
    but my face I don't mind it,
    cos I am behind it,
    it's the man in front gets the jar :rotfl:

That kind of sums up me. Pals at a night out were discussing their make up now we are all getting older. I was amazed at all the stuff one in particular uses on body, face and hair. They all laughed when I said a good week is one where I remember to brush my hair twice. I wasn't really joking tho :o:o :T:rotfl::money:

Daisy xx
    "Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion" Take hold of every moment by anon

The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today
  • edited 22 April 2018 at 7:34PM
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    edited 22 April 2018 at 7:34PM
    my hair is short and around my ears, cut in layers and is a little longer on top as I am wanting a bit of a change from judi dench. It is very shiny, crystal clear pure silver and thinner than it used to be,bereavement stress caused that. I love my hair colour and the fact that I just wash and go and got rid of my hair drier. I used to have thick very dark hair with a slight wave, then it started to go silver, more with each child. I stopped colouring it when I was about 35. My skincolouring now matches my hair and so colours that used to suit me, don`t suit me any more

A silk pillow case helps to preserve my hair. I get it cut and blown dry every 7 weeks, she uses good products but I hate these commercial products, I only ever use organic pure paraben free products at home, commercial products make my scalp feel horrible after 2 days and I always need to wash them out and that makes the cut the most important part of my hair style
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I am concentrating on teas from now, not the usual teas in bags. I have a good assortment of special teas such as fermented balls called pu-er. first flush darjeelings etc. I love an oolong made in my very special tiny clay teapot. I love these teas but often forget to use them in the rush to get jobs done. I shall walk around at a leisurely pace and drink tea in tiny bowls

Started off well with a matcha. Lots of goodies in tea, the antioxidants for starters, will help stop me rusting
  • PookyPooky Forumite
    7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love my short hair, I wash it daily but then it's a quick blast with the drier and a splodge of wax and I'm done. When I have grown it out in the past I always end up with it up in a clip and can't bear a fringe in my eyes or hair falling in front of my face. Short all the way!!,

3 more sacks of stuff for the tip today and I shall be looking at clothes again this afternoon, I've now dropped another dress size (down 3 since Christmas) and all my trousers all falling down, my tops now feel like I'm wearing someone else's tent too so a good overhaul and get rid of the larger stuff and then I can start looking at CS and boot sales for smaller stuff.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • FlossFloss Forumite
    5.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pooky how have you managed the weight loss? Is it health-related?
  • KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    34.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One little bag of tech recycling going to the tip today, courtesy of my sister - I can't get to a tip on my own, without a car. I'm hoping to set another incinerator bonfire tomorrow, that will do a *lot* of the most accessible branches.
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019