Forum Home » Old Style MoneySaving

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up - Page 99

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

edited 22 January 2019 at 10:32AM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.4K replies 522.5K views

Replies

• DawnWDawnW Forumite
    6.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    GreyQueen wrote: »

This morning I am going to the juntique shop to work my magic decluttering mojo. SOS from my dear pal, who does me many a favour and has offered to bribe me with lunch and some bags of horse manure.

:p Err, I do hope I heard the offer right, and the manure isn't intended for my din-dins..... :eek:

Well, there's a pal who knows how to show a girl a good time :rotfl:

• edited 21 April 2018 at 8:33AM
    GreyQueenGreyQueen Forumite
    12.8K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 April 2018 at 8:33AM
    DawnW wrote: »
    Well, there's a pal who knows how to show a girl a good time :rotfl:
    :p He has horses at home, I have an allotment, he has clutter, I have kondo fever, we're a perfect match.:rotfl:

Auntie once asked me what I wanted for Christmas, was told several tonnes of manure and gave me a toiletry set. It went to the chazzer unopened. I'd've been excited beyond belief if she'd organised the manure delivery to my allotment (I actually did get it by organising it myself and paying for it from present money from other relatives).
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • MMF007MMF007 Forumite
    1.4K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Yesterday was hectic! A big tidy up of LR was necessary because we were away for 3 days then squashing 3 days work into 2, and the arrival of 2 floating shelf-type-thingies with drawers, all meant a lot of repositioning was required!
    Awaiting putting up of shelves (getting someone in 'cos DH, while useful in so many ways, is no DIY-er and we haven't got a suitable drill /drill bit for the stone walls).

As soon as the shelves are fitted I shall remove old CD tower that has been functioning as shelves in a corner. I think the small room will look bigger then.

Have to take a bag of polystyrene to the tip, and a big bag of cardboard.

I did an inventory of my picture frame stash*, which almost all fit into an old record case. I hope to be painting more this summer :D
    * all bought at CS for very little money :)

I also kondo'd a major holiday planning project and a fair amt of money, liaising with 2 lots of friends to visit the Caribbean again next winter. Took some research and some loyalty points we've been building up for years, but I have booked a long haul and an inter-island flight, a week in a hotel, and several weeks with friends :j :j :j

When I rang my mum to tell her she imagined i was volunteering as a travel agent and asked me to book her 2 domestic flights and a botel!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • PookyPooky Forumite
    7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) How many square meters have you got, Pooky?

:

250sqm or there abouts...we are limited on size of shed or greenhouse but poly tunnels don't seem to count. Will phone the manager lady during the week and see what's what, the lease was a bit vague but I don't want to step on toes. I also want a pond up there, plenty of others have them but just want to double check. I'd really love some chickens too but DH isn't keen, I'll work on him for next year. In the mean time I'll just watch the very fluffy girls on the plot in front.

DD1 who has never liked gardening, getting dirty or the outdoors is getting really excited about going up in the evenings after work to help out. :T DD2 gave me the look and changed the subject :rotfl:
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • GreyQueenGreyQueen Forumite
    12.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :) Sounds great. My Plot1, which I've had since March 2008, is 300 m and Plot2, which I've had a month now, is another 150 m. Sounds like a lot but you do lose some space to paths, the shed and what I call my 'patio' which is a 6 x 8 ft patch of slabs where I stand the deckchairs and a couple of pots.

Allotmenteering is different from regular gardening. For one, it's very public, mine is within view of a busy suburban street, and two, it's more sociable. I'm timing today's allotment adventures to meet my 'toy boy' up there, a lovely chap literally half my age, who my wicked peers insist is my toy boy! He's in on the joke, some pals are indiscreet enough to let something slip and I'd be mortified if he thought I was serious.:rotfl:

Am having a pottering-around morning decluttering a few niggling jobs, alternating a chapter of my book with a niggle, and getting a few things done. I have also cut my hair and washed it, so feeling a bit tidier. Some of my self-inflicted 'dos are better than others but, if anyone ever comments, I tell them airily that I hack it off with clamshells/ lie down near the lawn mower.;)
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • silvasavasilvasava Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've just made the decision to kondo my shoulder length hair! It looks lovely on the day I've washed and dried it or hot rollered it if we're going out. The rest of the time it's screwed up in a crab claw. I know it will need ongoing maintenance but I can get rid of my large hotbrush, professional hairdryer, hot rollers, tongs and too many slides, clips, bobbles etc!
    I won't be able to do it immediately but within the next couple of weeks ;)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • wortwort Forumite
    1K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Mmf- congratulations on booking your holiday it sounds fab, and always wonderful to look forward to.
    No indoor kondo here weather been too nice.
    I've done a kondo of a large leggy shrub for a nice bright leaved smaller one. Also kondoed some hours reading and enjoying the sun!:rotfl:
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • wortwort Forumite
    1K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Silva saver I have very short hair , it's fab I can be washed and dried in mins!
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • GreyQueenGreyQueen Forumite
    12.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wort wrote: »
    Silva saver I have very short hair , it's fab I can be washed and dried in mins!
    :) I got rid off my past-shoulder-length hair a few years ago. One of the best moves for an easy life, IMO.

I have very thick hair and, even with a hair-dryer, it would take about 20 minutes to dry it. Not to mention about 6 hours to air-dry. Plus, being such a mop, it was difficult to style as moving the part even slightly/ wearing a high ponytail/ up do, would cause severe headaches.

I realised I don't like my hair over my face and invariably had it stuffed back with an alice band and/ or in a ponytail, so cut it short.

It suits me, it suits my lifestyle, and means I wash it, run a comb thru, and I'm good to go.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • edited 22 April 2018 at 12:52PM
    SlinkySlinky Forumite
    6.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 22 April 2018 at 12:52PM
    Our weekend visitors have just left. We had a good time, visited a National Trust property yesterday which was very interesting, on the way home we stopped in a village which were advertising a local art and craft fair. The art was in the local church, some lovely pictures, but we have no spare wall space. There was also a book sale, 30p each or 4 for £1, found several we liked the look of and were purchased. From there to the village hall where the craft stalls were, however the real driver was the suggestion of tea and cake. Lovely cake and tea was consumed. Then P suggested he have a go at the tombola. 5 tickets for £1. M said to us, I really don't want that 'white thing' hope he gets the bottle of red wine. Of course, on a table with maybe 80-100 things on it, he duly won the 'white thing', which he hadn't heard M didn't want so came back clutching it triumphantly. You couldn't make it up. The 'white thing' turned out to be a tea light holder, but looks more like something you'd put a hamster's ashes in, except it is pierced by holes. Much hilarity ensued, I was trying to stop crying with laughter, as whoever donated said item could have been in the room. So I was then despatched with a couple of quid for 10 tickets, and won firstly a strange material ensemble, which M identified as possibly being a tissue box cover...... But then I won the bottle of red wine which turned out to be a more than passable Malbec which we enjoyed with our dinner last night. Not bad for £2, and the tissue box cover will be recycled by our friends who have more calls on them to donate for raffle prizes. We dug out a tealight and the white thing was placed on our dinner table, with photos taken of M&P with it, for posterity. It will be passed to a local charity shop where they live, I fear it may be destined never to be loved.

So today our friends left, taking with them a couple of large pictures of a part of Greece where we have all visited at different times. In our new house we won't have the wall space, and it turned out M has been wondering for a while what to put on their bedroom wall having got rid of a load of previous artwork when they downsized. So everybody was happy. We now have space to put up a couple of other pictures that have been stored for a while when decorating meant other artwork was moved round the house.

We also dug up some self seeded plants as M is still working on her new garden and was happy to receive them.

Got to catch up on some work I didn't get done on Friday ready for a busy day tomorrow, and so the work cycle continues.