KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

edited 22 January 2019 at 10:32AM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.4K replies 522.7K views

Replies

• Wednesday2000Wednesday2000 Forumite
    4.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm trying to kondo some books as I added them up and realised I have almost 40 of them!:o Most of them are on kindle so at least they aren't cluttering up the place but I am not letting myself buy any more until they are gone!

I used up some rose water in a hot bath this morning.

I got rid of something else from my wardrobe - a long blue skirt. I like the pattern, but I put it on today and it just isn't comfortable. I'm now wearing a different dress and a perfect condition M&S cardigan I got from a charity shop. It feels like I'm wearing a cosy blanket.

I like to be comfy!:p Life is too short.
  • SlinkySlinky Forumite
    6.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    silvasava wrote: »
    I clean mine like the old style window cleaners used to - use a squirt of washing up liquid in hot water for the inside windows. Wipe over with soft cloth and then scrape with rubber squeegee - no streaks, smears or spots! I've got two different sizes of squeegee as some of my top openers are small. I use the same method for my mirrors and a couple of cabinets that have got glass doors. Window cleaner does the outside though ;)

That's what OH does with ours, but it ended up spotty when dry. You can only see it when the sun shines through it, so it's not exactly been much of a problem recently!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I can`t make myself do it, throw the window cleaner sprays out. It is dull out and I have used part of one doing inside windows downstairs. If I see streaks when the sun comes out, then they will go. I was very thorough in polishing it off, more effort than the os way, or maybe not as my mum used pink windolene and they were always looking for ways to get streak- free windows. I mustn`t confuse os with professional. I remember her using screwed up newspaper, water with vinegar and so on. Professional is far and away the best
  • lessonlearnedlessonlearned Forumite
    13.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am utterly useless at cleaning windows. :rotfl:

I took four bags of goodies to the charity shop this morning. Oh it feels good, although it felt strange seeing some of my treasures from last week on sale.

I mooched around and whilst I was there the assistant was putting out some of my bric a brac out that I took in today. She kept saying how nice my things were.....:rotfl:

The good Feng shui continues because not only does my house feel more spacious, lighter and is able to breathe, whilst I was in the shop I did pick up some clothes, two Pairs of cropped trousers, three pashminas (s o d the fashion police who keep trying to tell us they are old fashioned - I love them) and a beautiful cream silk camisole and matching cover up top - perfect for hot weather.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    ooh nice LL and all the sweeter for being a useful bargain

I have been ploughing through dvds, some are ancient films and so far 22 are out. I started watching series 1 of the onedin line and it has me well and truly hooked, very enjoyable, lol I have just received series 2, 10 hours worth at £1 an hour. I don`t think I will be getting past series 3, looking at reviews. Terrible times for sailors and their families

George and mildred, I enjoyed the first couple but I can see that series becoming boring. I liked the working class v posh and the lava lamp etc. Stuff that we really did have in those days when G and M was topical. Lots of innuendo and I will watch a few more before I decide that enough is enough. Same for fools and horses and open all hours.
  • PollyWollyDoodlePollyWollyDoodle Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I hardly ever clean my windows. It's only on the rare occasion that the sun is shining that I ever notice them!

Luckily I don't read fashion magazines, so I didn't know pashminas were 'out'. I love mine - I have several, different weights and colours and patterns, they are a great way to brighten up a dull outfit, cover up arms/neckline, keep the sun off/add extra warmth. I think I'll just carry on not reading fashion 'advice'.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
  • GreyQueenGreyQueen Forumite
    12.9K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :p I 'follow' fashion from a safe distance, laughing and pointing.

Guys, wanna laugh? Some person, quite possibly utterly insane, has stolen about 20 pieces of broken glass from a bucket on my allotment.

I got up there just before 6 pm yesterday and discovered someone had been trespassing on the top sections of both my lotties. They'd plucked and discarded one of my autumn-sown broadbeans, about 10 inches tall, thrown a few things about, left their hoofprints in fresh-dug soil and moved a bucket containing bits of broken glass, which I'd left soaking, from its position, and removed every bit of glass from inside and left the water behind!

I thought they might have just slung the glass around to be a nuisance but, despite mucho searching, I cannot find it anywhere. How bizarre is that?! :rotfl:

As they'd also tampered with my shed lock, and this must have happened in mid/ late afternoon in plain view of the road, I was a bit anxious it was a recce for an overnight shed break-in, so nipped up there at 06.30 hrs to check - no sign of any trouble, no new footprints (discounting the cat) and still no sign of my glass.

:D Well, that takes the cream cracker for weirdness, doesn't it? :D

I was only up there for a few mins, as had gone before brekkie. Grabbed a previously-washed broken seed tray and brought that down for the recycling bin.

Have become rather over-tired , so have grounded myself for this evening, my wild enthusiasms for gardening have run a little too wild (should have listened to the wise ones on here, of course ;)).

I shall be back up there tomorrow evening. Perhaps my local sanity-challenged trespasser can be incentivised to run off with bramble roots or some other such worthless items.

I have been inspired by kittie's sorting out of DVDs to watch one of the dozen or so I borrowed from Kid Bruv a few months' ago. If they don't grab me in the first 15 minutes, I won't continue. If I can watch a few, they can go back to him when I visit next month.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • SlinkySlinky Forumite
    6.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    My childhood home, the windows were never washed inside or out, I'm sure we could see out of the windows after a fashion!

I have discovered today that my hand-held Gtech multi has a washable filter. I've only had it about 4 years....... OMG you should have seen the amount of dust, it was like the filter was wearing a wooly overcoat about 1cm thick. No wonder I was having trouble with suction. I don't know why it didn't occur to me something would need cleaning inside, I wash the filters in the ordinary upright one.

Will have to fess-up to my MIL who also has one of these and won't know about cleaning it either!

We're having visitors for the weekend, nothing like that to encourage a bit of cleaning, clearing and Kondoing. We defrosted the chest freezer on Sunday, moving everything from it into the upright freezer. TBF there were only 3 frozen lumps I got rid of, but now I'm pondering whether we actually need the fridge/freezer as we could get everything into the chest one and the fridge if kept tidy. It certainly needs defrosting as well, once that's done I think I may just switch it off and see if we can manage without. We won't get rid of it as if the one at the rental property packs up (given its age there's every possibility) we wouldn't want to have to go out and buy another.
  • PookyPooky Forumite
    7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I kondod a happy half hour this afternoon visiting our new allotment plot! I'm still at the over excited stage at the moment, I'm sure that will wear off slightly as I get stuck into just how much needs doing. But yay!!!

I've also kondod 2 more tins of paint, lots of cardboard packaging and several lengths of old skirting board. My newly decorated hall is look fab and thanks to some serious kondoing I've only put back what I actually want out there, not just what fits.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • edited 18 April 2018 at 1:45PM
    SlinkySlinky Forumite
    6.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 18 April 2018 at 1:45PM
    Well the cleaning continues here. Kitchen floor mopped with the back door open so the lovely warm air can come in and dry it. Kitchen bin given a good bleaching, is now propped open in the garden drying off. All the shelves from the fridge have been washed and replaced, the ones from in the door are draining.

I've been doing battle for a while with some limescale rings in the toilets. One in particular that doesn't get used much, water evaporates leaving a limescale ring. Bleach didn't remove it, vigorous use of the brush didn't either. The penny finally dropped and today I've baled out all 3 loos, attacked the limescale with Viakal, left it for a while, given it a good brush and it's gone. Hoorah.

Whilst in the downstairs loo I took down some voile, which I now believe has been up at the window a number of years (don't ask) to find it was absolutely black at the top by the trickle vents. Oh the shame. To be fair, the voile was doubled over a pole so the back wasn't visible. This has been washed, the window has had a sparkly clean, I gave the ceiling extractor vent a good wipe over whilst stood on the toilet and it's all waiting to be put back together again when the voile has dried.

I'm working my way through the cleaning (we have visitors for the weekend coming) on the basis of 'what would I be most embarrassed about if they turned up now' principle.

The cat is well confused as to why I'm not glued to the computer, I work from home.

Got a chap coming to mow the grass today or tomorrow, hopefully he will be coming fortnightly across the summer. OH works away from home, I don't want him wasting too much time on mowing at the weekends, and I certainly don't want to do it myself! He quoted my only just over half what I was paying somebody else a couple of years ago who turned out to be too busy to bother turning up, so that's good.

A lovely sunny day is certainly sparking joy here.