PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Options

Comments

• joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,563 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Used an odd chicken breast from the freezer today to make a curry. Made up a new batch of curry powder but think I must have added a bit more chilli than usual and the curry was a bit hotter than usual. Must remember to use about 1/2 a Tbs less than usual in future. We needed to add a bit a yoghurt to it so that we could actually eat it!
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,714 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Not many bits to use up at the mo, but this morning I've made:

1) Potato salad for tomorrow's dinner using 3 LO new potatoes, mayo & chives

2) Half a large eating apple (the other half was used in last night's hm curry) to make 2 puddings - apple grated into some Greek style yogurt and decanted into individual lidded dishes, with a few sultanas added to one and a crumbled wheat biscuit in the other. I'll add a sprinkle of nutmeg or cinnamon just before serving. I got this idea from yogurts that Aldi used to do.

I've also made a batch of granola bars (I'm not sure if the recipe came from this thread or another one) as I had all the ingredients in the cupboard. They're a bit crumbly but very tasty indeed and I'll definitely make them again, but will give them an extra 5 mins in the oven.

Not much on the shopping list so far (just 4 pts milk and a pack of 2 haddock fishcakes) and, unless I spot any bargains, I don't need anything else as everything for this week's meal plan is coming from existing stocks. :j
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • Wraithlady
    Wraithlady Posts: 856 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi Yorkslass,

I've found the thing with granola bars is to put a piece of greaseproof paper or clingfilm over them then tamp the mixture down ( firm pats with a rolling pin or large wooden spoon). Remove the paper/film and bake - tends to help solve the crumbliness problem
    2024 Fashion on the Ration - 10/66 coupons used
    Crafting 2024 - 1/9 items finished
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,403 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Yesterday and today used up 3 x eggs, salad onions, couple of rolls, butter, tartare sauce, 2 potatoes made into chips, pears, Philadelphia cheese, cheddar cheese, rocket, 3 pieces of cod, ys chicken burgers, soya milk and strawberry jam.
    Pulled rhubarb from the garden - stewed and are with yoghurt.
    Also picked from the garden - rocket, flat leaf parsley, coriander, spinach and chives and made a herb salad. I love this time of the year when lots of the fresh food has zero miles. You can't beat freshly picked food.

Only thing left in the fridge - onions, raspberry yoghurt and unopened cheese. It feels good to know that everything will be very fresh.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Next door neighbour Jamie ,bless him gave me a big bag of rhubarb and it was turned into a delicious crumble, some of which has gone in portions into my freezer :)

Son-in-law also gave me some left over unused minted lamb chops tonight that he forgot to BBQ. The boys aren't keen so they will be dinner tomorrow night.

JackieO xx
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,714 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Wraithlady wrote: »
    Hi Yorkslass, I've found the thing with granola bars is to put a piece of greaseproof paper or clingfilm over them then tamp the mixture down ( firm pats with a rolling pin or large wooden spoon). Remove the paper/film and bake - tends to help solve the crumbliness problem

Thanks Wraithlady, I'll try that next time. I thought I had pressed the mixture into the tin firmly enough - but obviously not! :rotfl: Tastes good though. :D
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • MartagonLilies
    Options
    Hello, I hope it's OK if I join in?
    I was sent here, on a thread I started! I'm trying to save a lot of money in the kitchen, as my shopping bill is out of control, and my food waste is terrible.
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,563 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello, I hope it's OK if I join in?
    I was sent here, on a thread I started! I'm trying to save a lot of money in the kitchen, as my shopping bill is out of control, and my food waste is terrible.

Everyone is welcome. I'd also suggest you try the Grocery challenge - that would probably help with the shopping budget.
  • MartagonLilies
    Options
    Thank you:)I
    I'll go over to the other thread too!
  • Hopeless_Case
    Hopeless_Case Posts: 949 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    Options
    joedenise wrote: »
    Everyone is welcome. I'd also suggest you try the Grocery challenge - that would probably help with the shopping budget.

I just came here via a recommendation on the grocery challenge thread - love this thread already !! :):)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback