PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Options

Comments

• VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,960 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Ooh grapefruit curd sounds nice

I have made stock with a chicken carcass and turned some of that into soup with some carrots that I'd frozen as they were starting to turn, and some frozen butternut squash from a bag

I have picked rhubarb and cooked it up. I am on a bit of a restrictive diet for another week or so, so I'll freeze it for a crumble later. I did have some of it with coconut yogurt

I also fished out a tin of Spuds that is two years out of date :o and made Jack monroes veggie tagine. I am not mad on tinned spuds, but I've made this before and, if you freeze before eating, once defrosted you can't tell they were tinned.

I also made guacamole out of a very ripe avocado.

Feels good to be back on the LFHW waggon
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    Options
    I'm trying to use up all the odds and ends from my freezer so today I made a pie with leftover turkey, gammon and some puff pastry from the freezer and some leeks that were looking worse for wear from the fridge. Also have apple, pear and rhubarb crumble for pudding. All the fruit was frozen from last year's glut from the garden. I've also made a batch of red onion marmalade and boiled some eggs that my partner got YS sp he can have egg mayo for sandwiches in the week.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I use the tinned spuds if I am doing a casserole for extra veg ,saves me peeling any :) I also sometimes fry them up with bacon egg and mushrooms, or chuck into a quiche cubed or thinly sliced
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,960 Forumite
    Options
    I used up left over chicken in a lunchtime salad with leftover coleslaw from last night's bbq
    I also used up a bottle of no-alcohol beer last night - i am going alcohol free for a month as part of an exclusion diet. However today i have developed a rash under my eye again - so i definitely have an intolerance / allergy to something in beer (that isn't the alcohol). the rash was one of the reasons for the exclusion diet. I am hoping it's barley, but am rather afraid it might be yeast.

Tonight we are using up some of our mince stockpile that i found when doing my freezer inventory. OH wants lasagne so he can make it - i am not eating pasta (see above) so will have the bolognaise sauce with courgette and carrot - etti.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    Options
    Tonight we are having ham, egg and chips. I am finishing up the leftover cooked gammon from the freezer. I've made some chips from the last few potatoes in the cupboard and will use a few more of the YS eggs and a tin of beans.
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I!!!8217;m challenging myself to use up all of our lo food to make my lunches, so far I!!!8217;ve made a coconut & lentil curry, a Greek salad, a feta & butternut squash quiche & a chicken & vegetable pie!
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,562 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    I use the tinned spuds if I am doing a casserole for extra veg ,saves me peeling any :) I also sometimes fry them up with bacon egg and mushrooms, or chuck into a quiche cubed or thinly sliced

They also roast quite nicely! When we're away in our motorhome we often cook them on the BBQ along with the onions & peppers to have with whatever meat we're having.

Denise
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Saved a red pepper, a red onion, a potato, several eggs & some feta cheese from the food waste bin & made a sort-of quiche.
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,697 Forumite
    Options
    I love tinned potatoes in a Spanish omelette, I lightly fry a couple of onions for about ten minutes, add a drained and sliced tin of spuds. Beat four or five eggs with a little salt and pepper. Mix the onion and potatoes into the eggs and pop it into a well greased deep cake tin and bake for 20 mins. ( I know I am supposed to cook it on the hob, but I burn the bottom and it's never set in the middle)
    It cuts into nice big wedges which are also fantastic in a bread roll that I regularly see Spanish people eating.
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Mrs_Salad_Dodger Posts: 4,908 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sad day today as my DSis!!!8217;s cats were rehomed - so Kentucky Chucky for dinner but the place is so far away that it had to be reheated in the microwave. Not very MSE but we were all too sad to cook.

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback