PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Options

Comments

• freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Funnily enough, I'm making a pie today for OH and DD using up some cooked chicken (rescued from various roasts), leftover sliced gammon and a handful of leeks that I got reduced (I sliced and froze them). Im having corned beef hash.

I'm considering using a pack of chicken cup-a-soup* as a sauce and sliced potatoes as a topping.

I was going to use pastry, but I'm trying to stave off shopping for as long as possible and we don't have pastry in.

*mushroom flavour is a nice base for pasta!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I made sweetcorn chowder for lunch to use up a tin I opened yesterday to go into tuna mayo filling for jacket potatoes and the chowder used the last 3 rashers of cooking bacon from my 60p pack. I think they are the best value on the market at the moment and bacon is very versatile and flavoursome and seems to go into many things to help with tastiness. I'm making us Irish Stew this evening as I found a small piece of neck of lamb fillet YS yesterday and I have carrots, home grown onions and potatoes too and some lamb stock cubes in the cupboard. Just right for such a cold and wet January day!
  • ScotinLondon
    Options
    Ginmonster wrote: »
    I had the remains of a veggie sausage casserole last night with half a leftover flat bread. I'd been putting off eating it as I just didn't fancy it but yesterday I gave myself a good talking to and used it up. It was very tasty and so I was able to tell myself 'Told you so!' as well. :-)

Today's lunch was beetroot risotto from the freezer which was lovely. I'm planning to finish off the fridge bottom soup I made at the weekend tonight for tea with some hm bread (from the freezer - I freeze any we don't use at the weekend to keep it fresh).

Feeling good at the lack of waste so far although I will have to tackle a few wrinkly apples that have hidden at the back of the fridge at the weekend. I think a crumble may be in order. It's that kind of weather isn't it?

Does freezing risotto work? I would have thought that the risotto would have gone to mush - silly question i know, but am interested as i love risotto and its one of my quick go to foods.

Thanks in advance

SIL
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    I've not tried freezing risotto but you can buy it frozen.
  • Datchet
    Datchet Posts: 117 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    YorksLass wrote: »
    I was decluttering the sideboard this weekend and found 2 unopened bottles of wine tucked away at the back - a Merlot and a Chardonnay, both unoaked. We're not wine drinkers so I think they must have been presents at some time or other. The thing is, they are probably about 10, maybe 12, years old! :eek: Does anyone think they may be drinkable or alternatively could I use them in cooking? Or should I head in the direction of the sink?

Look at the red wine by holding up the bottle neck to the light - if it looks brown - recycle it. You could use it in a caserole or white in chicken gravy - but as our friends have stated " if it's not good enough to drink ; don't cook with it!'

You could try adding brandy, sugar and mulled wine mix! Hic!
    Just a thought!!:beer:
    "Is it that the future is so uncertain, the present so traumatic that we find the past so secure? " Spike Milligan
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    DGD popped in tonight and saw my sheps pie on the side and said 'Oh have you got a spare one for me to take to work tomorrow, I love a 'nanny pie ' :):)So I had a delve in the freezer and she went off happily with a frozen one under her arm in a take away box that she can ask the school cook to reheat for her at school tomorrow, another happy lass and a bit more room in the freezer
  • SpendingSensible
    Options
    SIL - I have frozen risotto before and it tasted fine. I defrosted overnight and added some extra stock when reheating.

Well, didn't feel much like cooking tonight so dinner was a bit of a mishmash. Made an omelette and had some pasta and peas with it. Bit odd combi but tasted fine.
    Stewed some plums for dessert, they were rock hard but a few minutes In the microwave sorted that quickly :)

Found some Italian 00 flour that has just gone out of date so will be making pizza tomorrow. Will need to get some cheese for that but that should be all.
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    maddiemay wrote: »
    Unless I am cooking chops, chicken breast etc. I am really bad at portion control even tho' it has only ever been OH and me in the household, it is made slightly worse by my small appetite.

The bonus is that tomorrow I can feed OH with a good sized portion of yesterday's bolognaise bake and I can have some of the over production of Remoska mushroom rice perhaps with 2 poached or fried eggs on mine and probably enough to have with some tinned tuna for a lunch too:D

Mrs Salad Dodger - I may pinch your idea as I have a pack of GF puff pastry which needs using and I have ham, several varieties of cheese, peppers, tomatoes etc.

Have at it Maddiemay:) & please let us know how it turns out.

MrsSD:)
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    YorksLass wrote: »
    I was decluttering the sideboard this weekend and found 2 unopened bottles of wine tucked away at the back - a Merlot and a Chardonnay, both unoaked. We're not wine drinkers so I think they must have been presents at some time or other. The thing is, they are probably about 10, maybe 12, years old! :eek: Does anyone think they may be drinkable or alternatively could I use them in cooking? Or should I head in the direction of the sink?

YorksLass, I agree with the sniff & taste test.
    Reminds me of my Champagne dilemma. XMas 2001 I won a Jeroboam of Moët et Chandon Champagne in the office raffle, but never had an occasion to use it. It was kept in its rather nice crate box but we were not that careful about where it was stored so the temperature wasn’t regulated. Last year my DH’s great niece was 30 & was having a big party so we donated the champagne with the advice that it shouldn’t be relied on (we had googled it & 5 - 7 years was the max time).
    However the big day arrived, the cork popped nicely & the taste test was conducted. Much to my GINORMOUS SURPRISE it was a very nice champagne & everyone enjoyed it - so much so that the whole Jeroboam was consumed very quickly. The ultimate LFHW - 16 year old Champagne! (I also provided a couple of hm focaccias, which also didn’t last long + I didn’t poison anyone:j).

I think tomorrow needs to be a baking & cooking day as I have everything I need & all the fruit & veg is now a few days old.

Any ideas what I can do with 3/4 jar of pickled red cabbage & 3/4 jar of silver skin onions & 1/2 jar of curry paste?

MrsSD:)
    LFHW
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,987 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mrs SD - The tart/galette turned out great. The ready rolled gf pastry fitted beautifully onto my baking sheet so I scored lines just in from the edges and spread just over half a carton of LF cream cheese, thinly sliced a whole load of chestnut mushrooms and mini plum tomatoes and spread them over and topped with a generous layer of grated tasty cheddar. I couldn't believe how nice it is:D:D I use LF cream cheese a lot for sauces and in quiches, but not tried it this way.

Any ideas what I can do with 3/4 jar of pickled red cabbage & 3/4 jar of silver skin onions & 1/2 jar of curry paste?

I ate a lovely cheese and cold meat platter out for lunch the other day and it had these little onions in a balsamic dressing, they were so tasty, might be worth rinsing the vinegar off and trying this.

Curry paste is nice just brushed thinly on chicken or fish for grilling/baking.

I think my tummy would certainly rebel if eaten all together at one sitting though:rotfl::eek::rotfl::eek:
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback