PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Options

Comments

• YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Another one relying on the freezer and cupboards for meals this month. Like JackieO, we spent a fair bit whilst on holiday (it did include a few bits for Xmas pressies) and we've also booked and paid the deposit for next year's holiday. :eek:

Yesterday's dinner was a hm chicken, bacon & leek pie (from the freezer) with new potatoes and sweetheart cabbage.

Tonight we're having potato croquettes with ys steak burgers (both from the freezer) with a mix of lo sweetcorn and fine green beans (from the fridge). Strawberries for pud. I haven't got any cream for them :( but what I do have in the fridge is a jar of fruit-infused rum. The fruit (cherries, redcurrants, blackberries, strawberries) is long gone - used on ice cream and meringues - but the rum makes a lovely topping. :D
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,410 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Made a lemon drizzle tray bake for work - having a Macmillan coffee afternoon this week. Used up some frozen lemon peel. Had to trim the edges to get into the tin. Placed bits into a container. Hubby is happy munching on these.
    Also made a chocolate cake. (Using up cocoa powder). Will fill it with something tomorrow. Not sure wether to make a salted caramel ganache or put inside some home made blackcurrant curd and a normal chocolate ganache on top. What are your thoughts. (I have some blackcurrant curd
    to use up but also some salted caramel chocolate that is getting close to its best before date).
    Made some tomato soup with tomatoes that could not be frozen. Took all the blemished bits off and hey-presto good as new tomatoes. Also used the rest of the potato that I dug up from the garden.
    Hubby made dinner tonight - Chinese - chicken and black bean with Chinese veg. He forgot to do rice or noodles!!!
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well I've got my MSE mojo back again, yet I still had to throw out some spinach leaves last week. Annoying but I guess the bags I am buying are larger than what I can reasonably use. If I'm honest, the other part of the problem is that I bought a big box of rice pops, so was happy to eat these at night instead of proper food.

Have decided that it probably suits me to get what I want (including bulky items and drinks) at the start of the month - after my credit card deadline - and then keep going until I use up what I have. Any top-up shops for the odd item can then be done by foot so that banks me 5,000 steps on each occasion. In the last fortnight of every month, I will wait for treats, they'll go on the list for the next month. If the fridge runs low at the end of the month, I'll use up what's in the freezer, or eat cereal and whatever is in the fruit bowl (that always full!). So it's a way of wasting a lot less, having small things to look forward to, and getting plenty of exercise :)
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • cuddlymarm
    cuddlymarm Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi guys
    Because there are only the two of us now I have started buying frozen veg a lot of the time as it’s so easy to use a little bit of a pack. No waste and as most things are going in soups, stews etc you don’t notice. OH developed a taste for raspberries this summer but you can buy a frozen bag, three times as much for the same price. There are still things I don’t like, frozen carrots just aren’t the same. But it also means if we are short of money we can manage out of my freezer and cupboard supplies easily for a few weeks.
    It’s lovely here today, it feels autumny. I try to find pleasure in small silly things, this is one of them. Also yesterday was lovely with all the first timers starting school in their very smart, very tidy, school uniforms, it made me smile.
    Enjoy your few hours of peace young mums.
    Have a good days guys
    Cuddles
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    Options
    Spent all day yesterday baking. I made a courgette and sweet potato loaf and some apple and prune muffins for us. OH had to take cakes into work for his birthday so made a lemon and courgette cake and a victoria sponge. I made way too much buttercream so will make a victoria sponge for ourselves at some point.
    Tonight dinner is 2 packs of stir fry veg that OH picked up last night for 10p and some beef strips from the freezer.
    I received my microwave pressure cooker and have been looking through the recipes they included. There is one which sounds lovely which is spicy Caribbean pumpkin. We have a huge squash from the garden so might have to give it a try.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    YorksLass snap I had to fork out £665.00 last night for the deposit for next years house on the IoW But at least its booked now so its just pulling the belt in a bit tighter and streeetching things out a bit more :):)

Just had a lovely lunch of salad bits from the fridge lettuce,tomato,cucumber bit of left over orange pepper diced up, a bit of grated cheese and a dollop of soft cheese, and I am totally stuffed Tonight's meal is at the pub quiz so no cooking for me today

NSD at all this week as I got everything I needed last saturday :) so my purse is shut with a large clang and won't be opened this side of the weekend :)

eldest DD popped in for a cuppa after work and asked if I'd like to go to dinner on Saturday evening so naturally I said yes please as I've not seen my youngest DGD for three weeks as she was away in Florida on holiday.
    Sunday I shall be at youngest DDs for dinner as usual, so really I only have three dinners to make this week :) all of which will come from the freezer.
    Happy days :):)

JackieO xx
  • DWhite
    DWhite Posts: 232 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Today I made pesto using some leftover salad in a bag. It was a mix of spinach, watercress and curly lettuce (no idea what). It was looking sorry and wasn't going to be used in a salad, so I blizted it with some oil, roast garlic and cheese and made a pesto. I'll try it with some pasta later. The idea was courtesy of Jack Monroe as I have been poking around her website recently for ideas. :T
  • YorksLass
    Options
    YorksLass wrote: »
    Tomorrow I need to do a small online order for delivery as cupboard stocks of some items are getting desperate but I'll be aiming to keep it to a minimum.

Famous last words! Delivery arrived today and it came to more than I'd have liked. :( Still, on the bright side, much of it was for store cupboard items that will last for quite a while - and it satisfies my squirrel instinct that always seems to kick in at this time of year. :D
    cuddlymarm wrote: »
    Because there are only the two of us now I have started buying frozen veg a lot of the time as it’s so easy to use a little bit of a pack.

We prefer fresh veg so generally only have frozen peas plus whatever fresh I've chopped and frozen (eg peppers), but I'm aiming to make room in the freezer for other veg. I think, given this year's weather, our home-grown crops could well be in short supply and therefore pricier, so it's probably a prudent move. Not a fan of tinned veg either - but if push comes to shove ......;)

Tonight's dinner is salad with pilchards for DH and mackerel for me. Strawberries for pud again, but with cream now I've got some! :)
  • Hopeless_Case
    Options
    I defrosted a large bag of gooseberries a few days ago that had been in the freezer for at least 3 years - I found that mixed in chopped fruit, they are fine eaten raw and not to sour - the freezing has softened them too - so I'm getting through them nicely :)
  • YorksLass
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    I had to fork out £665.00 last night for the deposit for next years house on the IoW But at least its booked now so its just pulling the belt in a bit tighter and streeetching things out a bit more :):)JackieO xx

Forgot to say yesterday - OUCH! I think that belt would be strangling me. :D

Another NSD today. :):)

Dinner tonight is haddock fishcakes (freezer), ys sugar snap peas and lo new potatoes, sliced/sprinkled with oil/black pepper and baked in the oven with the fishcakes. Pudding (if wanted) can be toasted sweet waffles topped with grapes and ice cream. The waffles are another freezer-lingerer. ;)

Cake tin replenished with a hm coconut cake filled with lemon butter icing. That's used up my coconut and most of what's left of the icing sugar, just a couple of ounces left. The icing sugar BBE date is Aug 2015 :o and, although it doesn't make good icing, it's still good for butter cream. Cheated a bit here as I didn't have any lemons or lemon juice so used a tablespoon of lemon curd instead and it tastes very good indeed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport