PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    I will be having the others at lunch tomorrow, imagine me, the one with my arms clasped around the plate close to my bosom, mine mine mine.

It's the only way to eat food.

I "don't share" ... and despise those that reach/grab/take as if it's a given that's "the norm". Or those that arbitrarily decide and spread all food out telling people everybody's sharing, without asking ....

I order/bring what I like ... and I don't like what others have/want/choose, so I'll rarely gain any benefit from any level of sharing.

Anybody not understanding it, see the Smithy clip from Gavin & Stacey when he turns up and they're ordering an indian....
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have done a bit more batch cooking for the freezers today. I did a chicken and mushroom casserole in one slow cooker, and a lamb stew in the other one. I shall have a portion of the lamb stew with dumplings shortly for dinner and freeze the rest. I've got quite a few HM ready meals in the freezer now.

I had some part baked rolls that were a week out of their BBE date so baked two of those and had them for lunch with some cheese and pickle. I've frozen the rest of them because I don't think I will get through them over the next couple of days. I bought them just before Christmas as a 'just in case' type of thing.

Kittie - I'm pleased to hear that sausagemeat is good, I've got a pack portioned up in the freezer as well :D.
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 31 January 2018 at 6:54PM
    Options
    There's been a stomach bug doing the rounds in our area apparently. It doesn't make you vomit but it does fill you full of gas till you feel you are going to explode. :eek: Plus in my case the GP thinks it has caused temporary lactose intolerance. Great. I'm about to become one of those 'faddy' people you see hanging round the 'free from' supermarket products :D
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've just had the dauphin potatoes with a gf breaded chicken fillet and last of the cauli. The portion of potatoes left I've regretfully binned, they've been cooked twice now and unlike chips I don't think thrice would be nice!
    Tonight is yoga and quiz, my sister is on hols so we're down to 3, should have had fish for the brain food. I've been lazy all day catching up on tv shows I'd recorded so need a bit of exercise.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    If you look out now, there's a huge moon rising.

I just had two hot sausage rolls. I had 5 digestives earlier and 4 squares of chocolate.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Now I do like it when I see the words "bring food to share" on something - provided they also say it must be vegetarian (which it does tend to do) and I feel there's a good chance that it's the type of gathering where the food will be healthy. I regard it as quite a sociable thing to do - and I'm looking out for any foods I've not tried yet.

Dinner tonight was another try-out from one of my latest cookbooks - ie the Michael Gregor "How not to die" one.

So - vegetable unfried rice. Verdict - needs more "taste" - so I think I'd probably do it again - but with everything else I can think of flavourwise too (eg soya sauce and it feels like it needs something sweet - so maybe some raisins). Darn - I forgot the salt and pepper. Can't quite figure out why - but he doesnt put salt in recipes...so I add it.
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    It's the only way to eat food.

I "don't share" ... and despise those that reach/grab/take as if it's a given that's "the norm". Or those that arbitrarily decide and spread all food out telling people everybody's sharing, without asking ....

I order/bring what I like ... and I don't like what others have/want/choose, so I'll rarely gain any benefit from any level of sharing.

Anybody not understanding it, see the Smithy clip from Gavin & Stacey when he turns up and they're ordering an indian....

One of my favourite clips, as you watch Nessa and Smithy bond over a shared love of not sharing,,,
    Nessa is a wonderful comic creation, full of improbables, I loved it when John Prescott and Noel from Hear'Say turned up at her wedding-that-wasn't to Dave Coaches.

Back on topic.
    I ordered some Asian foods mail order from Wing Yip, and did a really daft thing. I had a nibble from the seaweed 'slices' (actually ribbons) through the afternoon yesterday, I love seaweed, and have eaten carrageen moss as a nibble. Anyway, this isn't designed to be eaten as a nibble. It's meant to be thoroughly washed and used in soups.

The extra salt made me feel really yeuch _pale_ I missed my weekly night out at the live music club, and I still feel a bit sick, although I find it extremely hard to be sick.

This resistance is very useful on boats and ships, and was during pregnancies, but hasn't been over the last 24 hours.

So zilch cooking here.

I have some energy drink powder, and have been flushing the salt from my system with that, plus black Nespressos.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Now I do like it when I see the words "bring food to share" on something - provided they also say it must be vegetarian (which it does tend to do) and I feel there's a good chance that it's the type of gathering where the food will be healthy. I regard it as quite a sociable thing to do - and I'm looking out for any foods I've not tried yet.
    When you know up front that's fine. But it's often thrust upon you, without warning or consultation. Imagine if you were told to "bring something to eat", then when you got there it was grabbed off you and you were told "we're sharing" and it was plonked on a table amid a pile of meaty pies .... and before you knew it some fat fingered oik'd grabbed a big pile of your little bit of food .... not even noticing/caring it was veggie - and that was the only thing on the table you could eat ... except somebody took it out of your dish and plonked it on the same dish as the sausages on sticks!

It most often happens at, say, a chinese/indian restaurant.... where you only like ONE dish ... and have only come with enough money for your one dish - and then suddenly it's a "free for all" of sharing and split the bill ... with a raft of King Prawn and beef dishes laid out in front of you and you're asked for 3x the amount of money you've got in your pocket :)
  • Irenadler
    Irenadler Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hey all

Been knocking around in RL so playing catch up tonight...:)

Wish I had something exciting to report, but, the dog throwing up on the carpet has been the highlight....!

Or is that lowlight.

Yesterday's menu:
    Mr P with Mrs B
    Hoisin duck with singapore noodles/veg (YS ready meal nuked)
    Chicken salad sandwiches, yogurt and meringue mash up with plums (YS)

Today's menu:
    P & B
    Pulled pork with mustard sauce, mash, beans and carrots (YS ready meal, nuked)
    Wholemeal toast, greek yogurt

Feeling a bit cream-crackered today. Lots of running about over the last couple of days feeling like I didn't get a lot done/achieved but needs must. Hoping that everyone is feeling better and looking forward to pancake Tuesday....
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'

Dog's 'Pot o' Gold' = £23.85
    Household maintenance = 0
    Prolific Academic = £41.64
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good evening everyone,
    I'm having a bit of a mope- vertigo walloped again this afternoon and I'm feeling pretty drained. I think it's time for a GP appointment as it hasn't been this unstable for a while so need to get my BP checked and an inner ear infection eliminated. I've avoided going to the Dr as I tend to end up in hospital for monitoring which is PITA so if I disappear for a bit that will be what's happened. Dinner tonight will be something I can either bung in the oven or nuke so veggie pasta is on hold for the time being.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback