PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• Wednesday2000
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    I cannot knit at the moment due to a finger joint but am getting into a book about whitechapel long ago, it starts with a ho-are living on gin and that made me think of gin

What book? It's funny as I have had to go up to Whitechapel quite a lot over the past few months. I looked in the gallery there and saw a few interesting landmarks too.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone,
    Weather is back to very stormy and I'm wonky donkey again. I do wish barometer would stop flip flopping!
    My Dad is home and with some good news - they are 99% sure it isn't cancer.:D He has polyps and an infected bowel and it is the infection that is causing his blood results to be iffy. So antibiotics and steroids for a bit then some surgery but nothing too major thankfully.
    I did have to smile at the Tesco website, I popped a bunch of daffs in my "trolley". When you do this at the bottom of the page you get "Usually bought together" suggestions. These can be quite random but today's selection were the best yet: Milk , Tena Ladies, c@ndoms and a pregnancy test. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:I did need milk though ;)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 30 January 2018 at 6:35PM
    Options
    Good news about your father caron:T

I can sorta see connections with the daffodils - as in "he gives her bunch of flowers" and hopes for an "interesting evening" ..#cough....:rotfl:

Right - off to make a bite to eat. I had the rest of that mushroom/spinach thing today with some more toast at lunchtime and an apple after. Hungry mid-afternoon - so toast.

Planning on trying a recipe I've found for vegan banana oatmeal pancake now. Thinks.....could try that with a couple of different types of frozen berries from the freezer and throw some nuts and or seeds over the top. Maybe a dollop of yogurt...

Kittie - not a great tv evening imo. I've got my eye on latest episode of "Girlfriends" and that's all I'm that interested in personally...

EDIT; There's always "Next of kin" on Iplayer at the moment too I should think - another one I'm watching at the moment.
  • caronc
    Options
    Good news about your father caron:T

I can sorta see connections with the daffodils - as in "he gives her bunch of flowers" and hopes for an "interesting evening" ..#cough....:rotfl:

Right - off to make a bite to eat. I had the rest of that mushroom/spinach thing today with some more toast at lunchtime and an apple after. Hungry mid-afternoon - so toast.

Planning on trying a recipe I've found for vegan banana oatmeal pancake now. Thinks.....could try that with a couple of different types of frozen berries from the freezer and throw some nuts and or seeds over the top. Maybe a dollop of yogurt...

Kittie - not a great tv evening imo. I've got my eye on latest episode of "Girlfriends" and that's all I'm that interested in personally...

EDIT; There's always "Next of kin" on Iplayer at the moment too I should think - another one I'm watching at the moment.
    Thanks money re my Dad:)

It was the "usually" bit that cracked me up, visions of 1000s of virtual trolleys across the UK with that particular combo in them......:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • SquirrelSmall
    Options
    I'm back here, if only to say hello.

Boat life with a pair of cats who, within 36 hours, managed a total of five dunkings in freezing waters has been trying. Not least because that exhausted my supply of dry towels and being limited to a launderette isn't cheap.

With the wood burner restored to action, the cats have refocussed their attention to relieving themselves in the coal bucket and climbing into the (mercifully) unlit stove. Only to re-emerge covered in ash and tinder.

CFO continues in my habitual batch cooking manifesto, so tonight, Jim, I'm making a chicken tagine.

All is not so bad. There's a new boy in my life. Just with gluten and dairy allergies.

Rock. And roll.

All of that is a long way of saying sorry for being so shy.
  • caronc
    Options
    I'm back here, if only to say hello.

Boat life with a pair of cats who, within 36 hours, managed a total of five dunkings in freezing waters has been trying. Not least because that exhausted my supply of dry towels and being limited to a launderette isn't cheap.

With the wood burner restored to action, the cats have refocussed their attention to relieving themselves in the coal bucket and climbing into the (mercifully) unlit stove. Only to re-emerge covered in ash and tinder.

CFO continues in my habitual batch cooking manifesto, so tonight, Jim, I'm making a chicken tagine.

All is not so bad. There's a new boy in my life. Just with gluten and dairy allergies.

Rock. And roll.

All of that is a long way of saying sorry for being so shy.
    Hello :hello: glad things are going ok for you. Lovely to get an update :)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Hi Squirrel Small - I've wondered if the cats were still taking inadvertent swimming lessons....no change there then...:cool:
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    .... exhausted my supply of dry towels and being limited to a launderette isn't cheap.
    If it's towels for cats ... then there are other routes. Smallish microfibre cloths can get them dry - and then use a small 7 litre flexibucket to wash the small microfibre cloths out - and they dry pretty quickly and can be pinned up in small spaces...

Rather than "wasting" whole towels on them.

You'd be surprised just how much hand washing can be done in 7 litre flexitubs.... keep you going so you just need to go to the launderette for the "proper big stuff". 7 litres is a good manageable size that is easy to find a corner for and can be moved about easily enough.
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 31 January 2018 at 8:58AM
    Options
    The other night I ended up with just porridge for dinner. Bad planning on my part though in my defence I do live in an out of the way spot.
    But the point is that though not nutritionally sound in the long term, shorter term there should be no need for anyone to go hungry even with a depleted store cupboard. I could have made flat bread from flour and rustled up a dip using the last tin of tomatoes. Plus I might have a lentil or two lurking somewhere... ;)
    Even at this basic level it's the sort of food that much of the developing world survives on.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    good news about dad Caron, I think we worry more about adults than children. I worry about my three, about decisions they make, about their health, about how they manage financially. Then I step back and remember how I worried about us and all that worry and we came through

Spelt toast and peanut butter for breakfast. Loving the spelt toast made with a little honey in the bm. Will make it more often, I am sure it is cheaper than spelt flakes for breakfast

Stands in front of freezer and scratches head, no idea about food for today
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure