PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,114 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    I hope you have better, sunny weather now caronc, you will need to get out and about to complete the healing process

oh and those pizzas wort :) I admit though that I cannot eat chilli, it is a biggie trigger in the heartburn stakes

I am sitting here with a healthy bowlful next to me, Salad stuff, beans, walnuts and quinoa, it doesn`t do it for me like sausage rolls but heyho. I had lost my christmas and early january weight this morning so it is going to stay off. Heck I can still eat nice things like chocolate and cake and drink fresh coffee

This morning I was busy getting ready for the family early evening. All spuds steamed, thickly sliced and layered to take off and fry whatever is needed. Chocolate cake has risen a lot and looks nice. 12 sausage rolls made and in the fridge ready to cook. Extra bed is blown up and made, other 2 are always made up. Fresh bread made last night, better than fresh today, develops a much nicer flavour. Crumble is ready in the fridge and I am whacked but happy
    Thanks Kittie - sun is shining here too:), no "out and abouts" allowed for a few days though I had a nice sit on my deck earlier to get a Vit d boost. Hopefully the sun will still be shining in a few days time:). Sounds as though your family are in for a treat later, hope they appreciate it:)
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 2 February 2018 at 2:56PM
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Things were no better this morning so I bit the bullet and contacted the Drs. As I suspected my Meniere's has de-stabilised knocking my BP sky high (183/107:eek: - so just below hospital admission level:)). Meds have been tweaked and I've a stay of execution on being admitted provided things don't deterioate further. I've to take it really easy for the next few days and get checked again next week. Needless to say food hasn't really featured today though I'm wanting a decent dinner tonight. Something from the freezer I can bung in the oven I think but not sure quite what yet.

ETA - To add to my tales of woe I've also got nasal shingles and what looks like a patch on my scalp too..... so got anti-viral pills to add to my collection.
    Gosh you have been in the wars! I know someone who had to take early retirement due to persistent Meniere's. As for shingles, I suspect it is more likely to kick in when your immune system is low.
    Give yourself a weekend treat if you are up to it - something norty but nice :D

Weekends I like to slob out in front of the television with some easy food, so I have a 2 day beef curry on the go - it's in a heavy iron pan 'slow cooking' on the edge of the multifuel stove. I'll have tonight's with some garlic and coriander naan. 'Perfik' :j

On the subject of food (sort of) someone mentioned their dog throwing up. My dog when he was last sick had to be stopped from eating it all up again :eek:
    Saves on the cleaning up I suppose.. :rotfl:
  • caronc
    Options
    Thanks pineapple - I had to take early retirement last year due to mine. Not what I had planned....

I've put together a loose meal plan for next week to try and keep me on track. No doubt it will change;)

Tonight - cumberland sausage, cauli cheese, baked mushrooms & tomato
    Then:-
    • jerk spiced chicken, coleslaw, corn & sweet potato wedges
    • steak, mushrooms, onions, peppers & potato slices
    • liver & bacon casserole, cabbage & mash
    • marinated pork & veg skewers with pitta or rice
    • veggie pasta
    • salmon, pepper stew & wedges
    I'll make soup on Monday so that should cover lunches:)
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,312 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 2 February 2018 at 4:57PM
    Options
    Running late today, had to attend a funeral which meant rushing home post volunteering to grab a quick N easy crisp sandwich for lunch

Also meant no chance to prep things for dinner, plan was HM pie or pasty, but not much time for faffing now

Luckily Lild had YS min pork pies this morning, they are really mini, more micro I think, one gobful and gone

Dinner may thus be micro pork pies, with piccalilli, or maybe a bacon, lettuce & tom sandwich to use up last of the bacon

I will take the beef chunks out of freezer for overnight defrost, then the pies / pasties, or maybe slow cooker stew thingy will be tomorrows task

PS, there was also a strong lemon based beer named 2 dogs, which everyone understood where the name came from, which was part of the appeal
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I couldn't decide what to eat until 10 minutes ago....

Just had beans and cheese on toast... because the bread's dated by tomorrow (still half a loaf left, so I should freeze that in a bit) ... the beans were open and the cheese was grated so I might as well use that up and wash out the container.

I've got a bit of a food list in front of me, for when I next go out - which, now I've eaten, is unlikely to be today ... so far it says: chips, sausage rolls.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Unexpected stint of voluntary work this afternoon - so lunch was "What can I grab?" status. So - a bit of asparagus and sprouting broccoli I needed to use up steamed, a bit of that cashew "cream cheese" I made, some tomatoes, some sourdough bread and a drink of rice mylk. Wasn't too bad.

Dinner - that cauliflower steaks with chermoula sauce that I put on my rather loose meal plan I reckon. Probably with baked potatoes. Followed by fresh pineapple.
  • caronc
    Options
    Good evening everyone,
    It's frosty here already though it's supposed to rain later then back to cold tomorrow. I'm hoping the sun reappears at some point over the next few days.
    I spent a pleasurably hour sorting ot my seed box and ordering what I need for this year's veg growing. I actually didn't need to buy very much which is a plus:D
    Apart from that I've not done very much at all. Lunch was the planned LO veggies and rice from last night with a poached egg. Dinner is as organised as a bung it in the oven needs to be and I've finalised my grocery order for tomorrow so hopefully I'll be well stocked again with fresh veg when it arrives. So far I managing ok with only getting a shop every 8 or 9 days so I'll keep that up unless I'm having visitors as it is making me more focussed on using what I already have:)
    FitBit steps have gone to pot this week so one to work on over the next few days. I'm very unlikely to ever get 10K but had been managing 5-6K so would like to get at least that back:)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 2 February 2018 at 7:57PM
    Options
    Had that cauliflower steak with sauce. Verdict = 4 times as much sauce if doing that again I think. It just added a smattering of looking better and ditto a smattering of extra taste.

Hmmm...not too bad a meal. Followed, in the event, by frozen banana and stewed plums with Oatly "cream" and few cacao nibs.

Lives and learns....and it's rather a steep learning curve going on here. But I feel a good bit better informed than I did about this way of eating - and I guess "feeling a fancy" for a bit of cheese will diminish over time....:rotfl:. Thinks....reminding myself that I think my abdomen feels marginally flatter than it did....:)

Did give way to temptation and had a bottle of beer earlier - my excuse this time being I still feel a bit "discombobulated" by the incident earlier this week...
  • caronc
    Options

Did give way to temptation and had a bottle of beer earlier - my excuse this time being I still feel a bit "discombobulated" by the incident earlier this week...
    It's Friday- do you need any other excuse ;)
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Thanks pineapple - I had to take early retirement last year due to mine. Not what I had planned....

I've put together a loose meal plan for next week to try and keep me on track. No doubt it will change;)

Tonight - cumberland sausage, cauli cheese, baked mushrooms & tomato
    Then:-
    • jerk spiced chicken, coleslaw, corn & sweet potato wedges
    • steak, mushrooms, onions, peppers & potato slices
    • liver & bacon casserole, cabbage & mash
    • marinated pork & veg skewers with pitta or rice
    • veggie pasta
    • salmon, pepper stew & wedges
    I'll make soup on Monday so that should cover lunches:)
    Sounds like some tasty meals !
    I had jacket potato and cheese with salad of lettuce tomato onion peppers and sun blush tomato.
    Had a few nachos with dgson, and finished with a slice of gf 'lemon drizzle cake that I got Y'S today. I've sliced ti and kept 3 pieces out 3 pieces gone in freezer.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback