PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Good evening everyone,
    Things were no better this morning so I bit the bullet and contacted the Drs. As I suspected my Meniere's has de-stabilised knocking my BP sky high (183/107:eek: - so just below hospital admission level:)). Meds have been tweaked and I've a stay of execution on being admitted provided things don't deterioate further. I've to take it really easy for the next few days and get checked again next week. Needless to say food hasn't really featured today though I'm wanting a decent dinner tonight. Something from the freezer I can bung in the oven I think but not sure quite what yet.

ETA - To add to my tales of woe I've also got nasal shingles and what looks like a patch on my scalp too..... so got anti-viral pills to add to my collection.

Sorry to read that caron. I really hope you feel better soon. Take care x
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,114 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    karcher wrote: »
    Sorry to read that caron. I really hope you feel better soon. Take care x
    Thanks karcher, tbh it was always a case of "when" rather than "if" IFYSWIM certainly I'm in a much better place to deal with it. A case of (quite literally) baby steps until it's back under control with fingers crossed I can regain where I was:).
    Dinner ended up of a bung it in of brown rice, various veg, garlic, ginger. chilli, stock, soy, a poached egg and a splash of sesame oil. Just what I fancied for the tastebuds :)
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I've been off food, was back on food, but my tummy didn't like it... oh well.
    Farway, I think I read the Two Dogs joke in a rag mag about forty-five years ago, it made me laugh then, and it still does now.
    I wonder what happened to rag mags? When did they die out? When did Rag Week die out?
    If you are under 45, you probably won't have a clue what I am on about. I feel old.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 February 2018 at 1:08AM
    Options
    All day I wished I was the owner of sausage rolls .... but I wasn't.

Breakfast I decided to go for a belly filler ... and had toast/beans/scrambled eggs.

I had a handful of digestive biscuits spread across the day.

For tea I decided to head for a "meal in a tin" and hoped to find sausages/beans to put on toast, but there was no such tin - so I grabbed the meatballs in tomato sauce and made some plain basmati rice ... and instead of measuring out half the tin and putting the other half in the fridge for tomorrow, I emptied the whole lot into the bowl with the rice :)

Now I wish I was the owner of chocolates/sweeties ... but I am not.
    I wonder what happened to rag mags? When did they die out? When did Rag Week die out?
    If you are under 45, you probably won't have a clue what I am on about. I feel old.

I've never seen a Rag Mag.... knew they existed. Never seen the activities of Rag Week, it was always reported in the local papers and looked like a right hullabaloo and I'd rather not be squashed in crowds and run the chance of some idiot student's prank heading my way.

But I always knew such a thing existed..... just never went/looked, never was interested enough to go and look. I wasn't "in it", so it's of no interest/concern to me that it occurred.... and I had no desire to observe riotous nonsense in the streets.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I wish I could magic up a big fresh mug of tea in bed without getting up. No room for an old fashioned teasmade, anyway I don`t like the idea of fresh milk out all night

Those 3 LO sausage rolls in the fridge yesterday morning, I blooming woke up thinking about me eating them but the other half of me was wondering about me healthy eating, so I froze 2 as soon as I got up. I made a quick salad for lunch with lettuce and salad things plus beans mixed into LO quinoa. Very nice but not awesome, then I nibbled that one sausage roll, oh no wonder people love them, mouth satisfying isn`t enough of a description

I have family staying the night, tonight,1 adult and 2 children and they are all getting whatever but I have taken two lots of sausagemeat and puff pastry out the freezer and will dole sausage rolls out one at a time, no extras unless they clear the plates first :D I have LO sprouting potatoes, going to peel them and par boil then will fry to crispy and serve with peas and carrots and a sausage roll (or more than one, maybe). I know there will be sausage rolls left to cool and keep in the fridge, so next day lunchtime they will get baked beans and sausage rolls and more potato, adults salad. I will be able to use up (get rid) of a large tub of frozen stewed apple and the crumble crumbs. More freezer space! :D

My lunch today, salad. I am going to make more quinoa, its a quick very healthy basic, pads out salad stuff nicely. I need to have a cake in, think I will make a bm cake as everything in that is turning out nicely
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,518 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    FYI for anyone who thinks educational standards have dropped, nearly 40 years ago I did my bit selling rag mags, 15p a copy or 50p for 3. The 50p offer was regularly snapped up.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Caron - hope you're feeling a bit better today?

I've been wondering whether this upsurge in the illness might be down to "end of term syndrome" and will therefore right itself on its own given a bit of time?

I used to know quite a lot of teachers (prior to The Move to Wales) and that was far from uncommon with them. It was a sort of release of stress after effort - which, in your case, could be The Wait for having your pension/tax/etc sorted out and now it has been sorted out you've maybe gone from "termtime status" to "end of term - it's the holidays status"?

Could be a hopeful way of looking at it - ie just a bit of time and getting used to things being more "sorted" and maybe that'll help?

Fingers crossed...
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    FYI for anyone who thinks educational standards have dropped, nearly 40 years ago I did my bit selling rag mags, 15p a copy or 50p for 3. The 50p offer was regularly snapped up.
    :rotfl:
    Had trouble logging I this morning there was no reply to thread buttons showing!!!???

Caronc hope you are well take it easy.

Yesterday I came home and made 4 pizzas 3 for the freezer 1 for tea. Topped it with chilli,onion mushrooms, peppers,smoked salmon and cheese. Yum. I had the last of the blueberries with corner yogurt. Cuppa and 2 choc biscuits that were calling me!

I've had toast and cs, for breakfast, I made an egg sandwich for work with a lemon whipped yogurt.
    Dgson is here for tea, but we won't be having the usual curry, because it's his birthday tomorrow :T and dd2 is coming down and taking us to Eastzeast dgson favourite curry house for tea, it's the branch up near her.
    So tonight dgson is having spicy chicken wings and garlic bread, I'm not sure what I'm having I may do a jacket potato. I'm not into chicken wings I don't like chicken skin and the are fiddly for the amount on them.
    Dd1 is letting dgson sleep over even though it's his birthday in the morning. Which makes me very happy :j
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,114 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good mornig everyone,
    Thanks for the good wishes, I'm feeling a bit more chirpy this morning though still very lacking in the oomph department and a bit "doped" up from the extra meds.
    MTSTM - I think you could be right, here's hoping:)
    Kittie - I'd be very happy to relieve you of any spare sausages rolls;). Similiarly wort I wouldn't say no to a HM pizza or some chicken wings;)
    I've no plans for today apart from going through my seed box and seeing what needs ditching and what needs replenished. So that will keep me out of mischief and give me something to look forward to.
    I wasn't hungry when I got up and lunch will be a repeat of last night's rice mix with a poached egg. I'm not sure about later possibly sausage , veg & mash.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I hope you have better, sunny weather now caronc, you will need to get out and about to complete the healing process

oh and those pizzas wort :) I admit though that I cannot eat chilli, it is a biggie trigger in the heartburn stakes

I am sitting here with a healthy bowlful next to me, Salad stuff, beans, walnuts and quinoa, it doesn`t do it for me like sausage rolls but heyho. I had lost my christmas and early january weight this morning so it is going to stay off. Heck I can still eat nice things like chocolate and cake and drink fresh coffee

This morning I was busy getting ready for the family early evening. All spuds steamed, thickly sliced and layered to take off and fry whatever is needed. Chocolate cake has risen a lot and looks nice. 12 sausage rolls made and in the fridge ready to cook. Extra bed is blown up and made, other 2 are always made up. Fresh bread made last night, better than fresh today, develops a much nicer flavour. Crumble is ready in the fridge and I am whacked but happy
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback