PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    fish today and a lamb casserole to prepare for portion freezing. Again, I am seasonal eating but never got around to the baby leaves, which I actually have decided I don`t like, they are too soft and I like firmer lettuce, will go and pick one later today. Sometime today I will have a side salad as an intermediate snack,

I have had oats/amaranth/strawberries/soya and have soaked soya beans ready to make soya milk later. I won`t be replacing the amaranth when it is all finished, the little seeds stick in some tooth spaces and can cause me irritation, they don`t remove with my toothbrush

I will have to decide how to cook the fish later, maybe baked with lemon and herbs
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Brambling wrote: »

Edited - I've been looking at Yotams recipes and booked marked several to try, none have the black sesame seeds but they look good :D, note to self I don't need any more cookery books :rotfl:

I've been telling myself that for years :rotfl::rotfl:

Good morning everyone,

My it's wild here, once the winds have died back a bit I'll go and inspect the veg patch. I can see one of my bean wigwams has toppled.:( I'm glad I took some of the hanging baskets down last night. Apparently most of the trains & buses are off, thankfully I don't need to go anywhere but a pain for those that do.
    I've many chores needing caught up on so a domestic day I think for me. Quiche & coleslaw for lunch and either pasta & something or a flat mushroom/halloumi "burger" for dinner.
  • caronc
    Options
    With the weather being so wild there's only one thing to make in this CFO house - soup:D.
    A pot of tomato, chilli & red pepper soup is now simmering, a good use up of nearly the last of the 2017 tomato crop. A mug of that will go nicely with quiche & coleslaw for lunch.:)
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    wild down here caronc so must be battering you up there

Gosh where has the time gone? I have been busy, salmon is out and need to go and shred cabbage, luckily it will be oven and one pan. I just ate an apple, one of those with tough shiny skins, never again a whole apple like that, kept sticking in my throat, good job I had water handy
  • caronc
    Options
    It's absolutely wild kittie but thankfully due to blow itself out later today. The wind has taken out a lot of the overhead train lines just a bit further up the coast from here which has brought the local rail network to a virtual standstill! We are used to weather like this in the winter but it's a bit of a shock in June!
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,317 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Getting off very lightly with the weather here, bit blowy and windy first thing, even resorted to the waterproof when I went out. Now sun's out and back to June:j

It wasn't raining first thing, remembered to get out & pick the few raspberries for breakfast, and while there I spotted more ripe wild strawberries, so took them as well

I had both with my porridge, honey & HM yoghurt, seemed like a really homespun healthy breakfast.
    The wild strawberries were much improved stirred into hot porridge, really intense strawberry flavour, but they are sharp when eaten direct off the plant, odd that.

Went mad in W/rose, the Heck bangers are back on offer, £2.36, and some of their mature Cheddar is also on offer, and a 2.5kg YS bag of baking spuds £1.45. I've been needing to get more bakers in, job done

Lunch was the last of the PB baguettes, filled with last of the streaky, lettuce, tomato & mayo

Good job June is back. For dinner I'm going to have one of the baking spuds filled with grated Cheddar, along with salady bits
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 14 June 2018 at 3:15PM
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    I won`t be replacing the amaranth when it is all finished, the little seeds stick in some tooth spaces and can cause me irritation, they don`t remove with my toothbrush

Dental floss and toothpicks - as well as toothbrush - Kittie.

I use all 3 and a little round head type toothbrush for the gums as well. On top of the standard toothbrush.

Think I should be covering all bases with that.

The dental floss and toothpicks deal with bits between the teeth. One good look at many British sets of teeth (when someone has got their mouth open) and that's quite enough to think "Don't listen to them - and use toothbrush only. Look at many British sets of teeth and think :eek: and take more care than the average Brit. does".

(NB: I can say that - because I am British....but many of us have teeth that are :eek:). I can't think of a single British person I know with decent teeth - but I've basically trained myself out of even looking at them by now. Harsh I'm afraid - but so many of us do have awful teeth...
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I use tepee and similar money. Many of my generation went to dentists, as children, who were paid by the tooth. Me and my siblings all have battleship mouths and well remember the name of our dentist 60+ years ago. Better education today anyway many of us got jam butties and sugar sprinkled on crusty white bread, our teeth had no chance. Those that appear to have white and even teeth are probably wearing falsies

Superfood drink being drunk as I write, lots of washed leaves in the fridge, looking in top condition, whizzed fast with hemp and frozen blackcurrants. I had a few almonds and pistacheos earlier and tea will be just a snack of celery stick spread with peanut butter
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    I've still got some amalgam fillings in my teeth - from the era "before people knew any better". Newer fillings are white.

But my teeth look reasonable - if not "American". Still regret the fact I was unaware how vulnerable teeth are from "way back when" and my gums have shrunk a bit because I didn't know.

But they are pretty reasonable-looking teeth and prompt comments of teeth themselves being "Good teeth" from dentists at least.

One of my next projects is to grow the gums back again with alternative methods (even if no-one except a dentist can spot that fact). "On the list" is finding a wholistic dentist that will remove the amalgam fillings and then I'll see whether I can "grow the teeth back myself to get rid of the cavities" or need to replace the removed amalgam fillings with white ones. Not very hopeful of finding a wholistic dentist - as there are so few of them in the whole country and I've not heard of any at all in Wales to date. Nearest one I've been able to find in the country to date is in Somerset.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,166 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Rainy start today but it's been sunny since lunchtime. Did a fridge audit/ tidy earlier checking that there was nothing lurking which should be ate then a SM visit, I had a small list :cool: but was led astray by some extras, spent a little bit more than planned :eek: but at least his lordship has enough food for a month. I was determined to keep to the list as well :o

Lunch was the last of the chicken in a salad with some HM coleslaw. Dinner will be sausage (I found 3 small ones in the freezer with some HM chips and the last of the coleslaw. Then I plan to walk it off :D
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback