PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Is it hot where you are caronc? It is beyond hot here, has been building up all day, it is 27.5 in the shade at home and the bedroom is 23, it isn`t going to be a pleasant night for sleeping. I am putting a pedestal fan on low directed at me in bed

I had what turned out to be an hour on the allotment, was going to be shorter but I have been picking as well as watering some produce. Masses of big tasty strawberries are sitting in 2 trays as some need to fully ripen and a few are slightlyly below par. I am going to have to freeze some in a couple of days. The blackcurrants are turning and baby courgettes forming. I need to get organised for the berries, in advance, another 6 weeks yet and sooner for invicta gooseberries. Lifting shallots in a few days

It feels as though it is all producing at once. I picked a duncan cabbage, not yet fully formed and some chard, both washed and ready to cook.

I am going to have exactly the same food tomorrow, was high in veggies and very tasty
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,131 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    Is it hot where you are caronc? It is beyond hot here, has been building up all day, it is 27.5 in the shade at home and the bedroom is 23, it isn`t going to be a pleasant night for sleeping. I am putting a pedestal fan on low directed at me in bed

It has been kittie - around 30C some days last week:eek:, much cooler today though and it feels chilly tonight though still 17C on my deck. I've had to close my windows/ back door and pop a short sleeved cardi on. It was exceptionally warm, for here for a few days, too hot for this fair skinned woman to want to do much except lurk in the shade with iced water to drink by the gallon dangling my feet in a tub full of cool water. :D

I was shattered this afternoon so had a deep snooze before I headed out to fill more pots for my toms.

We are forecast rain for later in the week so I want to get the pots filled so I can then work in the greenhouse potting them. I was just finishing up with that when my sis & nephew popped by for a cuppa and to use my laptop as his is playing up and my sister only has a work one which was at her work.

Handily there was about a third of a bottle of red wine left from last night so I'm enjoying that before I put a plate of LOs together and make a salad for dinner. If I can CBA I'll pop the lamb bone (we butterflied a leg of lamb for the bbq yesterday) in the SC with some pot veg and make stock overnight.
    Yesterday was a bit of a meat fest (lamb, pork souvlaki & bbq spatchcock chicken) so once I've used or frozen the LOs I want to have a few meat free or meat-light days. Tomorrow I plan to sort out the fridge and do a meal plan. Despite getting shopping delivered on Friday I need another order tomorrow as after the kids staying & yesterday I need to restock some basics including loo roll, fruit and tea bags so I have added some bits to the order as I have a vague idea on some meals to make. I know I have a butternut squash, aubergines & courgette to use up as we had planned to make a spicy stew with chickpeas on Saturday but the day ran away with us and we ended up getting an Indian takeaway instead and very good it was as well.:) There was LOs from that which I froze yesterday but my younger son "liberated" these today to have for his dinner tonight. Another meal I want to make in coming weeks is "Pastitsio" (Greek lasagne) as my son brought me some of the pasta they use in it (it's like very long macaroni) as I've not had it in years and it portions and freezes really well so ideal for CFO.
  • caronc
    Options
    It's raining:(:(, still the garden will love it as long as it doesn't last too long;).
    Briefly found my mojo and prepped the pot veg so the makings of lamb stock are in the SC:)
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The fan and different bedding made a world of difference, a tall fan and a cotton airtex blanket on a sheet. Slept a full eight hours thankfully.

The picked trawberries are looking riper, I need to wait a day or two before I freeze some but am picking the ripest ones out to eat. Breakfast eaten, soaked oats/amaranth/strawberries/soya
    I will be having the stir fried greens and an egg in an hour or so and having a cold minty green drink later, its too difficult to eat all the stuff I have and easier juiced. Leaves galore, cucumber carrot

All in all it is an easy food day

I am going to try and do a couple of study areas today, hope I don`t run out of boxes that fit inside cupboards
  • caronc
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

Last night's rain didn't come to much so just as well I had watered the garden earlier.:)
    Definitely cooler than it's been which made sleeping more comfortable though I've got up feeling tired this morning so will have an easy morning. The forecast for today is dry so I do hope to get more done in the garden today before the weather changes. There are lots of chores needing done in the house but these can wait until the rain comes....:cool:
    Lunch today will be the last of the bbq chicken with salad. I'm not sure about dinner tonight yet probably something fishy.
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I see a bit? of rain on the horizon so decided, no more dithering, I lifted my 12 shallot plants and now have at least 120 shallots which will last almost 12 months, stored in ikea net hanging toy baskets, later. First I have to cure them for 3 weeks, out as much as possible, threaded through all my metal chairs, on the table, on the chairs. I will move them tonight. Its a bit of a potch but I won`t be using my wall greenhouse after the sun cooked some last year. My big shed is cool and ventilated, will do nicely

Greens and egg eaten with garlic added and mayo on top. Was nice, for me but I wouldn`t give it to a visitor. I would have been tempted with buttered toast and am now full and happier not to have had the toast. Big ripe sweet strawberry and coffee too :)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No rain here. Hot/stuffy. Had a bad night.

Last night I ate the 3rd/4 bread rolls, that one just with marg.

This morning I've had the 4th bread roll, filled with the last of the coronation chicken filling.

I also .... dabbed at that ice cream on a couple of occasions :)

In fact, I'd forgotten about that ... I'll have a bit of that now as it's so muggy.
  • I've had a smoothie made with frozen pineapple and mango, fresh spinach, soy milk, water, chia and flax seeds.
    Lunch will be a wholefoods bowl - cous cous, three sweet potato rounds, black beans and a head of broccoli.
    Dinner may be spaghetti.
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 June 2018 at 12:42PM
    Options
    hello geeky

My lunch is heating up, love these easy meals and am loving the frozen brown rice, so handy for me. I`ll be having a hemp/frozen blackcurrant/water drink this afternoon, no sieving necessary with linwood hemp but will be leaving out the cacao as it will keep me awake tonight, normally fine in the morning

Some time later I will be having some bits of flax/walnut crackers with some lush soft goats cheese. Afters, plum puree with pure hm ice cream and last meal a small one and will finish off the yogurt and bottled gooseberries with a bit of added crunch
  • klew356
    klew356 Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You lot eat well healthy! Im jealous of that
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts