PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    money, this is the stuff that can be in manure, it is used of grassland and gets in hay and silage unless the animal is from an organic farm. Nasty sruff. Could also be in horse hay but manure is best if used, as cow manure because of the two stomachs. Weed seeds just go through a horse

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=477

Yep...that's the sort of thing I was thinking of and I don't want to take the risk of landing up with any of that.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    money you could make a hot compost maker quite easily, if you want good compost quickly. It is basically just 4 sides, bottom and top of thick polystyrene. My bin is coated but does not have to be, it needs a vent at the bottom and a smaller vent by the lid. Ratchet ties or bungees would work. Just a cube shape. Maybe 2 or 3 then you wouldn`t have to mess to get the bottom compost out. just open up when ready. It gets hot very quickly, mine is in the sun
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 9 June 2018 at 9:38PM
    Options
    I was a bit too de-mob happy yesterday as today's work turned out a lot more than it should have, between someone forgetting to turn up and someone making a big mistake I finally logged off just before 9pm :mad: we usually get given a day holiday if we work on a Saturday in lieu of pay, I may suggest we get two for this month as I logged on just before 8am and I was covering for him :cool: I can't push too hard as it's the nature of the job and he has been flexible about a couple of vet trips.

Unfortunately my friend has had to cancel our few days away next week not unexpected as it's due to a family illness but still disappointing for both of us :( we are going to try and meet up for a long lunch next week as a constellation. I can walk home from the station and her husband is playing taxi driver for her so....... :beer:

Therefore I'm now sitting with a large G&T but just the one as meals have been limited today, pawn roll for lunch and I grabbed a couple of slices of toast on the run for dinner. Too much bread for me so I may regret it :cool: but I'm not regretting the gin :D. At least I'm not working next week, just need to avoid work emails :p
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ahhh brambling, you were so looking forward to it. Sounds like you need the break from work, plenty of GnT and hope the sun stays out for you

Easy food day as I have plenty of home growns and rinsed beans etc Just the soaked oats and amaranth and strawberries for breakfast with the hm soya milk, taking my time and it is filling my tum already.

I finished making my organic order for next week, costs me but I like their stuff. I have ordered diced lamb as I found a recipe for a long cook stew with a whole grated cauliflower, a paleo recipe with spices and it will freeze. I could do with a few more rm meals in the freezer for cba days. I have also ordered 3 fat pork sausages and will skin, divide and freeze as I want to made scotch eggs from time to time. These are rolled in a ground almond and herb mix, they will be satisfying

Money (cash!) has been rolling out of my cc all week, all to do with getting ready for moving but I bought things that will also be good afterwards. Moving is expensive
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 June 2018 at 6:52AM
    Options
    I got a surprise instant shout out for my tea.... somebody'd been showing their portable BBQ to somebody else and they'd lit it to see how well it lit; their visitor had then left, leaving them with a lit BBQ to use .... cue a text to see if I wanted feeding.

:)
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    yay :D pn, an unexpected meal and no washing up

I have just had another small breakfast, was cooking and chopping in the kitchen so though I might as well. Lightly stir fried chopped chard and then put an egg on top, lid on, lower heat and left the egg to steam. Lovely and no messing, just aminos and salt and pepper

I decided to make a veg stew, saw a recipe online in the mail and thought it would be good as I had most veg and all the spices and I want to get through my dried apricots faster. It`s moroccan based and I just subbed a veg for two I didn`t have. I will keep it in the fridge overnight and then freeze half in one container, the other half will do nicely for 2 days, it has beans in it so will be good with spelt pasta or even toast. Didn`t take long at all and is cooking now
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,367 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Brambling wrote: »
    ( we are going to try and meet up for a long lunch next week as a constellation.

Auto complete fail, my bold:D

I'm also on a surprise shout out today, heading off to a large arboretum & gardens, lunch will probably be in nearby market town, nice cafe there, charity run, wholesome real food, veggie / organic home cooked style, no doubt suit a few on here, not for profit, helps schools in some African country. And near Waitrose, what's not to like?:)

Weather is a bit dull and windy, but forecast is OK for the day ahead

Kittie, with your lamb order, do you know the method of slaughter or do you not go that deep into provenance? I'm thinking a lot of lamb is Halal these days but not labelled as such
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    yes farway I know the provenance, it comes from eversfield organic via AnC. I would never buy lamp that is not from my few organic suppliers and I actually spoke with them to check it is not halal. The GBP have all been blindly subjected to halal and that includes all children in school. Barbaric practice inflicted on GBP, the many who have no idea but would be horrified

I have a big, for me, amount of brown rice cooking as I write, in my rice cooker. I do need quick stuff for CBA days and will freeze it. I am using round grain rice and it will go well in soups too

A little bit CBA now, just having a coffee and feel that it is time I stopped working, apart from sitting down stuff. A bit of a change for lunch, a veg/cheese tart with salad and I have already picked and washed the leaves. The rest of the day takes care of itself

My red and chunky veg stew looks and tastes very good, lots of tomato in there, tin and paste
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    Auto complete fail, my bold:D

Farway not sure whether to blame fat fingers, auto correct or the Gin :D. Cba to go back and edit it! Although my primary school went through a stage of not correcting spelling as 'it would stunt our creativity and the spelling would come'. I've proven them wrong on both aspects of that theory :rotfl: I wouldn't repeat what my dad said to the teacher on parent evening :eek:

Lazy day planned for today I want to get the 'heavy' housework done so I don't have to worry too much the rest of the week other than quick flick around to keep the cat fur down :cool:

Lunch will be a pb baguette I need to use up, fancying bacon but none in so may be egg to use some up or tuna, will see where the mood takes me. I've taken the last of the frying steak out to the freezer that will do for dinner and I have some jersey royals to use. Will need to have some plan for food as I wasn't expecting to be here this week. There's plenty in the freezer and cupboard just need to sort fresh.

PN hoped you enjoyed the BBQ and it didn't rain:D
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I went car booting, local one here's quite good and just runs once a month in the summer months.... spent about £11.

Hungry when I got back, then remembered last Saturday's takeaway prawn crackers were still in the bread bin... so sitting here scoffing my way through those :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure