PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A sunny start and yet again am hoping for rain, all garlic and shallots are safe undercover in airy places. Some strawberries are in the freezer, I don`t want to put too much in, this variety are lasting very well, the ken muir bred, I have had several other varieties, none as good as these

Breakfast with strawberries, oats, amaranth and soya

lunch, must use my rm, ham and turkey pasta and can add green veggies. Its hard to get through baby salad leaves so I will have to do green juice this morning, anyway I have an untouched cucumber and fresh mint in a pot

AnC arriving today with chorizo and fat pork sausages to freeze singly. The pork for scotch eggs, which I will prep fresh and coat in ground almonds and herbs, to bake. Also lamb is arriving and I will make that lamb and cauli casserole tomorrow, the cauli will be grated and will thicken the casserole, vaguely moroccan spices and to freeze. I must find some small dishes, got them somewhere
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Scorchio here!

I started the day with 3 hours of hedge and bush clipping ... producing four stuffed rubble sacks of cuttings. Off to the tip with those - and then into 4ldi for bread rolls (hurrah, they had some!). Then off to £land where 12 packs of crisps followed me home. Then it was L1dl for .... SAUSAGE ROLLS! And chocolate covered peanuts. And tomatoes.

I didn't buy tomatoes in 4ldi as I couldn't decide if I wanted tomatoes in my bread rolls or not ... by the time I was in L1dl I'd decided, so bought some. Just 6 salad tomatoes (as they're cheapest)....

Didn't buy any actual sweeties - chocolate covered peanuts were close enough. I was tempted, but twice just walked on by.... if I'd not walked by I'd have a 100g of milk chocolate and a bag of fruit pastilles :)

I've already eaten some of the chocolate/peanuts and two of the sausage rolls :)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone,
    I've been a busy bee today as I was determined to get the toms into their final pots before the weather broke, I just about made it though it was drizzling by the time I finished:). It's definitely not scorching here today and gales are due later this evening.:( Still I've done garden wise what I wanted to get done this week .
    I'm just finishing a late lunch of toast, pate and cherry toms with a cupasoup. Not terribly exciting but quick and easy. My sister and nephew are back round this evening so dinner will also be an easy option of quiche, baked spud, coleslaw and salad.

I'm looking forward to not doing anything very much for the rest of the day:).
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,317 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    It's turned out scorchio here as well

Nothing YS in town, but did sort out the blue tooth thingy, now I'll be able to hear her say "Turn around if possible":o

Went daft & bought a huge pot, ideas of having either one of my figs in it, or the new grape once I decide whether to train it along the back wall or in a pot. Like Brexit I can fudge it for a bit:D

Back to lunch, decided to use one of my near dated PB baguettes, filled with grilled bacon, lettuce, mayo & tom

Spot of gardening, I still had some Black Velvet nasturtiums and a few geraniums left over, now potted on & out the front, along with a very sorry looking Balcony Yellow tom that was still in a little pot

Tonight's dinner is the LO smoked salmon, plus salad, and maybe boiled eggs, with possibly a handful of frozen chips

For the organically inclined gardeners, I came across this one, Canadian based but probably OK for UK. Seems quite detailed from my quick non organic glance
    https://www.smilinggardener.com/organic-gardening/
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had one of my bread rolls, dabbed with margarine, for lunch.

Chocolate peanuts have nearly all disappeared.... and a packet of crisps joined them.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 13 June 2018 at 5:37PM
    Options
    Farway wrote: »

For the organically inclined gardeners, I came across this one, Canadian based but probably OK for UK. Seems quite detailed from my quick non organic glance
    https://www.smilinggardener.com/organic-gardening/

Thanks Farway.

I'll have a good looksee at that to see if there's owt new I can pick up from it.

Just struck me t'other day that maybe/just maybe a few passersby might have clicked by now that there's "summat bit different" about my garden by now - just maybe??? Betcha none of them have clicked it's moving along permaculture lines - and that's what is different about it. I've seen a couple of people go "Oooh!" type reaction/smile now on first spotting it - but I don't think anyone has realised yet exactly what is a bit different about it......:rotfl:

I'm pretty sure a permie would realise by now - but I don't think anyone else has.
  • caronc
    Options
    Good evening everyone,
    It's like winter outside, apparently we are in the path of "Storm Hector" :eek:, I do wish I'd taken my hanging baskets down but it's lashing with rain so they will just need to take their chances. Hard to believe yesterday I was in shorts & sandals and today it socks and a thick cardi! Next door have lit their woodburner! I have loads of salad veg in the fridge but I think tonight I'll braise some of the radishes with some peas and spring onions in a little butter to have with my quiche & spud instead of having coleslaw & salad with it:)
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,166 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Evening :wave:

A day for doing those little jobs which I need to be around my home town during the week to do. Had to pop the car to the garage just a 10 minute job and no charge :T then a look at the garden centre next to the garage, just picked up some thyme and sage as both mine are looking pass their best and they were on offer :D. I then spent nearly a hour queuing for a blood test now none of the dr surgeries in town do bloods any more there's no 'good time' to pop to the hospital. The blood clinic shares a waiting room with the family planning clinic so alway a mixed bunch of people :rotfl:

This afternoon saw my second visit to a garden centre this time to take advantage of the offer on cream tea for two at the one around the corner. I promised my sister one as a thank you for feeding the cat, although I never went away it still cost me :cool: scones passed the scone test better then a lot of NT places I've visited.

Lunch was a couple of slices of Tiger bread and butter as I was saving room for the cream tea. Dinner was using up LOs so tender stem broccoli stir fried with shallots, chilli and red pepper, chicken and noodles - tossed in soy sauce and toasted sesame seeds, it was really tasty, I love those open fridge and throw together type dishes.

Whilst searching for the sesame seeds (that will teach me to tidy the kitchen) I found some black sesame seeds brought YS any ideas what the difference from the 'normal ones' I'm assuming I wouldn't have to toast them?

I think we are expecting the rain tomorrow Caronc hopefully the tail end of Hector
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • caronc
    edited 13 June 2018 at 9:51PM
    Options
    Sounds like a productive and enjoyable day Brambling:)

Can't be much help re the sesame seeds but Yotam Ottolenghi recipes might worth a look.
    I decided to "rescue" some of my more exposed hanging baskets so got well and truly drenched:(, but I wasn't convinced they would hold in the wind and couldn't face the mess if they didn't. Hope the 3 I left are ok!
    Ended up adding some cos lettuce heart to the radish/pea/spring onion mix- it was lovely:)
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,166 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 13 June 2018 at 11:06PM
    Options
    Thanks Caronc I'll have a look at Yotam Ottolenghi. Your dinner reminded me I haven't had that for ages i must buy peas, haven't tried it with the radish so will give it a try as well. I think it's what they used to call petite pois a la Francaise?

Edited - I've been looking at Yotams recipes and booked marked several to try, none have the black sesame seeds but they look good :D, note to self I don't need any more cookery books :rotfl:
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback