PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 June 2018 at 7:29PM
    Options
    I can't think of a single British person I know with decent teeth .

I think that's due to cost more than a lack of caring ... it's cheaper to rip one out than get it "fixed" properly... I've 3 back ones missing ... and one false one on some peg or something.

I swear blind that cleaning/polishing has made my teeth worse to look at - I went over 40 years without needing it doing, or knowing anybody who did it - and suddenly it's "a thing you do at the dentist" and now it's every 6 months and they look bad again after that time.... should've left well alone, I doubt they'd have got worse than they currently are 6 months after a polish etc.
    ... grow the gums back again with alternative methods .... "grow the teeth back myself to get rid of the cavities"...

!!!!!!? Is that a thing? Can we do that? Why aren't we all doing it?
    Or is it unsubstantiated hippy mumbo jumbo??
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Today I've managed to scoff:

Half a bread roll, toasted, topped with beans and scrambled eggs.
    Two hot sausage rolls.
    A bread roll with margarine and a tomato.
    The last of the tub of ice cream I bought 2-3 days ago.

:)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,100 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good evening everyone,
    Another one here with horrible memories of childhood dentists leaving me a lifetime fear of them. I do go though and look after my teeth working on the principle that prevention is easier than treatment. Unfortunately dental exams etc. these days are hardgoing (I'm sure the dentist thinks so to) due to my heath issues I can get an exam and basic treatment done locally but if I need anything else done it will probably need to be done at the dental hospital. Thankfully so far so good so fingers crossed.

"Hector" has departed and it was actually quite sunny for a bit, toppled beans have been righted and I had a potter in the greenhouse tying up my cucumbers to stakes and netting. I've not rehung the baskets as it's to get quite wet & windy again later and I don't fancy another dash round the garden in the rain to rescue them.

I managed to get the place hoovered and mopped, going by the colour of the water it was well overdue :o:o.

The soup was tasty and nicely spicy, some will be used as a sauce with added mushrooms, spinach, cream cheese and parmesan with spaghetti to have for dinner. The rest I'll portion & freeze as my Dad is coming for lunch tomorrow so it won't get used. I asked him what he fancied having and he's chosen corned beef, buttered savoy cabbage, jersey royals & pickled beetroot. Of all the things he could have chosen he's picked an old favourite of his, due to his tummy problems his appetite isn't great these days (he's lost over 4 stone in the past 16 months - much needed I hasten to add as he is still a big guy) so it will be small portions which I prefer at lunchtime and I'd rather make him something I know he will enjoy. :)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 14 June 2018 at 8:57PM
    Options
    I think that's due to cost more than a lack of caring ... it's cheaper to rip one out than get it "fixed" properly... I've 3 back ones missing ... and one false one on some peg or something.

I swear blind that cleaning/polishing has made my teeth worse to look at - I went over 40 years without needing it doing, or knowing anybody who did it - and suddenly it's "a thing you do at the dentist" and now it's every 6 months and they look bad again after that time.... should've left well alone, I doubt they'd have got worse than they currently are 6 months after a polish etc.

!!!!!!? Is that a thing? Can we do that? Why aren't we all doing it?
    Or is it unsubstantiated hippy mumbo jumbo??

Alternative medicine - and "on the list" to try. After all - what have I got to lose?:)

Right at this moment - working on acupressure points that are said to improve one's hair (a form of yoga I'd never heard of involving buffing both sets of fingernails against each other for 10-15 minutes daily and said to show results in 2 months). Might as well give it a go - fits in with if I'm sitting there watching tv anyway. So yeah - buff/buff/buff whilst watching say a current favourite - The Handmaids Tale, Humans or the like. Doing something constructive whilst I watch those all-too-possible tales with horror at the thought of if anything like that ever came to pass in our society.

Me - I've got rid of a couple of things doctors said I'd "have to live with" or needed drastic action before - so I'm always willing to try out alternative methods now and take what doctors say with a pinch of salt.
  • caronc
    Options
    ......whilst watching say a current favourite - The Handmaids Tale, Humans or the like. Doing something constructive whilst I watch those all-too-possible tales with horror at the thought of if anything like that ever came to pass in our society.
    "The Handmaids Tale" is on my "to watch" list, I'm loving this series of "Humans" though lagging on the episodes, much better than the previous series I think. :)
    Soup, veg, spaghetti concoction was lovely and I've a portion of sauce to freeze:). For a "storecupboard/freezer/use up" pot of soup this has done well, a mug of soup at lunch time today, two portions for the freezer and the basis of two portions of pasta sauce cost me very little as well which is a real bonus at the moment as June so far has been a very spendy (though very enjoyable :D) month!
    Forecasted rain has yet to appear, I probably should have watered the garden/veg plot but I'm not doing it now;)
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,142 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Lovely walk across the fields tonight not too far only about 5km but we sat and watched a barn owl hunting in front of us. We looked for the white stag that lives there with his hareem as my sister saw him on Monday, I've only seen the top of his head and antlers previously so I'm jealous of her :)

Timed it well as my nephew made chocolate chip cookies and they were coming out of the oven when we got back. He knows me so well I didn't have to ask for one to bring home with me :D in fact I got two :rotfl: I've been blamed for his growing collection of cookery books it seems it's not something he could have inherited from my sister, I did try and sneak out with his latest tonight but he held the cookies hostage until I handed it over, I reminded him I have a key :rotfl:
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    I've got ... a cheeky bag of crisps on the go :) Part of the 12-pack I bought. I nearly bought another 6-pack of a different flavour (my favourite), but the green supermarket wanted £1.65 for 6 bags! They can keep those I thought... and I'd already got enough crisps...

I had to have the crisps as I've made a tomato/egg roll and popped it in the fridge ... leaving me with just one half a bread roll, which I need to save for tomorrow morning's breakfast, which will be a toasted half bread roll topped with beans and scrambled eggs ... and the shop doesn't open until 8am to get more and I'll probably be eating breakfast before 7am.... so I had to save the bread roll, so the crisps got remembered/grabbed.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 15 June 2018 at 7:31AM
    Options
    protein for hair and the older we get, the more we need. Takes months and months to see the difference but it does happen, hair goes from sparce and finer to lush and shiny. I am making sure to have more protein than I used to have, it is working wonders. Got to work on hair from the inside. I can testify to that
    http://www.glamourmagazine.co.uk/gallery/top-30-foods-for-healthy-hair-thicker-shiny

so, the same breakfast, nice enough and not hard to eat. An egg later and a few assorted nuts around lunchtime. I have a portion of my lamb casserole in the fridge, for lunch, got 6 portions out of 600g of lamb, an unusual (for me) paleo casserole and I will need to add the greens, probably cooked cabbage and a side or starter salad as I picked and washed a mazur lettuce (reliable to grow) and have 4 tiny courgettes and 4 baby beets. I still have a cuc to juice or whizz but I know that juiced cuc keeps my tum happy, better do that early before I lose my juicing mojo

edit: so an hour later and I have made my juice and washed the equipment, 6 a day so far. Glad I tackled the cucumber it would not have lasted any longer, I had to peel it thick as it was, it was just getting soft around the edges. An egg later mid morn, I am full
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Will be able to "get on with it" with more focus now Kittie. Got the house finished, just finished getting the garden to "sorted for now" status (it needs a LOT more money before I can move onto "sort it out good and proper" type work on it). So - time to focus the spotlight properly on my body now.

Must go and check out what's missing from the list of ingredients for recipes I want to try this coming week now - supermarket visit in a minute.

Then back to the research you put me onto (in a quite different direction);).
  • caronc
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

Dull, chilly & breezy here this morning with rain due this afternoon. Some of my trailing plants are looking wind battered so my job for the next dry day will be to give these some trimming & attention.

I've not much prep to do for lunch just spuds and cabbage so I'm enjoying a leisurely cuppa before I sort these out and also pop a washing on.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback