Cooking for one (Mark Three)

edited 13 January 2018 at 9:51AM in Old Style MoneySaving
12.7K replies 787.4K views

Replies

• BramblingBrambling Forumite
    2.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is it a early fruiting variety Farway or just early this year?

I hope the weather stayed dry for your BBQ Caronc  :)

i needed to pick up my tablets today so walked to the chemist this morning and decided to come back the long way via the town it made it a nice four mile plus walk in the sun shine.  The farmers market was almost back to normal with all kinds of stalls and food trucks and very busy, I only brought some local black currants and cherries before walking home.  Gone were most of the barriers to keep you two meters away from the stalls and people were not social distancing.  I got caught by a neighbour coming in and we ended up gossiping for a very long time, her husband kept popping out to check on us  :* although they have been very noisy revamping the house I've been lucky as they are a lovely family and their everyday living isn't noisy, I also discussed unicorns and fairies with their four year old  :)  her birthday is in a couple off months so she's planning already 🦄 

i worked for a couple of hours this afternoon and it all went very smoothly and we finished earlier than planned 🙂 it had been known to go on until midnight if we get IT issues but we had finished before 6pm 😁 and I'll still get a extra day holiday for it (no overtime at the moment)

lunch was late due to neighbourly chatting so I had a cold beef wrap with HG rocket, spring onions and land cress.  Dinner was LO roast beef dinner minus the roast parsnips which I pigged out on yesterday

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • caronccaronc Forumite
    6.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good afternoon everyone, 
    Glad you got finished work at a decent time Brambling.
    It stayed dry so we managed to bbq but ate in the kitchen as it was booming cold. After dinner we headed back out with blankets and fleeces, built a fire and sat out until it was dark before heading inside, lighting the stove and nattering/drinking Baileys until the early hours. Suffice to say I'm feeling a tad fragile today but it was a great night so worth it.
    My sis popped over late morning to collect her car and my son made the three of us a very tasty bacon, egg and tattie scone wrap which we ate outdoors as it's dry and warm today. He's now headed to Screwfix to buy paint brushes and some other bits so we can get some outdoor painting done this week.
    Steak dinner for us tonight if we cba to cook if not it will probably be a quick pizza from the freezer with salad. 

• FarwayFarway Forumite
    8.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bit of an unexpected lie in this morning, only woke up at 0830. In my defence I was awake in the middle of the night
    The planned lawn cutting has been kicked into the long grass :D CBA now
    Lunch was cheese & piccalilli sarnie
    Dinner, no idea but seeing Caron's pizza posing gives me an idea,
    I think I've a pizza lurking but could be mistaken since the freezer spread sheet fell into disrepute earlier in the year :(
    If not It''l be something nuked from freezer anyway. And add pizza to the C & C list

Brambling, the blackberry is not an early one, just the two in my garden, different varieties, seem to have zoomed along this year
    BTW I picked it and it was mouth puckering sharp, from memory this "Thorn Free" one is a bit tart,
    I suppose breeding out thorns & leaving sweetness was a tad too much to ask for?
  • gt568gt568 Forumite
    2.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are we sure PN isn't dead?
    :silenced: Down with the signature fascists!!:naughty:
    2.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gt568 hopefully she's de stressing after a stressful 6 months and a move.

It was flying ant day here, my sister popped round for a couple hours and we gave up sitting in the garden, it looks like my large bay tree pot had a nest as it was covered in them.  I did get told off as I caught the sun whilst gossiping with my neighbour yesterday, the V from a tee shirt and my face, unfortunately I was partially shaded by the porch so parts of me are redder than other 🙄 just as well I'm working from home 😁

lunch was the last of the beef in a wrap with salad.  Dinner was prawn and avocado salad with new potatoes 

now I'm having thoughts of pizza but I've courgettes to use first 😳
  • candygirlcandygirl Forumite
    29.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had jacket spuds, with stir fry veg for tea.Was strangely good :)
    The weather has been gorg today, so me n Mum sat out all afternoon in it :) 
    Hope you're all ok xx
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    8.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yesterday I found my memory of pizza in the freezer was a false memory, thus it was an Ice£and YS Vegan No Bull chilli jobby, nuked OK, did the job, and for 25p I'm not complaining

Completed my @sda C & C list, took a lot longer now I have to think ahead without ND getting fresh dairy etc for me
    I was using Morries this time but changed horses mid order because I found they do not have a facility to specify No Subs, which is of no use to me, they've now lost my long term C & C custom, shame 'cos being nearer to me they would be slightly more convenient, plus a few points on the card :(
    Regarding parking, social distancing etc Morries here is on par with @sda, very easy

Sunny again, out watering the plant pots at the back early on, very dry despite the recent rain
    I need to check on the French beans, do I have enough for dinner today or tomorrow?
    Snails have scoffed one lot I noticed, despite being in a wall trough 4 feet off the ground, must parachute in, or abseil from the cherry tree

Lunch, looking like cheese & salady sarnie
    Dinner, depending on FBs it may be on offer Pukka veggie pie with fresh veg and mash, or with chips
  • caronccaronc Forumite
    6.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good afternoon everyone, 
    I've found snails and slugs surprisingly good climbers, especially if there is a juicy seedling to be had!
    We did resort to pizza last night with the bits and bobs of salads LO from Saturday. Steak dinner tonight to look forward to😁. It's raining here today so my son is sorting out the glory hole that is the garage with view that it becomes a space I can actually get into. Lots of junk is going to the dump, my ex has had 14 years to claim it and time is not up! My son has just gone to B&Q to buy panels for shelving so hopefully in the not too distant future it will be a useful space again. While he was busy out there I gutted the fridge with a view of organising the multitude of bottles and jars that have gathered as a result of combining two kitchens, it was getting to the point where it was hard to get actual food in there. It's all clean and tidy now and he's been warned not to jumble it back up🤣.
    Lunch was a ham and Brie salad wrap with plums and grapes for pud. 

2.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've found snails are good at climbing walls especially if there is an incentive  :)

My neighbour swapped SM deliveries this week and ended up with two identical SM shops the same day as she forgot to cancel one :) I found it more amusing than she did but luckily they had room in their freezer but there will be a lot of fruit salad eaten in their house this week   :D

Lunch was a fish finger sandwich with tartar sauce and rocket for the first time in years I had a bone in my fish fingers  :'( otherwise the M&S cod ones have been on par with the Captains.  Not sure about dinner as I didn't take anything out of the freezer this morning, I do have ingredients to make something with my courgette glut but it will probably be jacket potato with tuna mayo and maybe some HG french beans and salad stuff I'll see where the mood takes me later.  I snacked on fresh pineapple this afternoon and finished the cherries so I'm not that hungry at the moment

There is a new cat in the Close not sure where he has come from but there was a standoff earlier, it's an adult cat and looks very similar to his lordship maybe just a little chunkier with a few spots as well as stripes.    I shooed him away and his lordship is now patrolling the front garden and probably peeing in corners to mark it as his  :D
  • jelliejellie Forumite
    866 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Farway said:
    I was using Morries this time but changed horses mid order because I found they do not have a facility to specify No Subs, which is of no use to me, they've now lost my long term C & C custom, shame 'cos being nearer to me they would be slightly more convenient, plus a few points on the card :(
    Morries drivers usually take unwanted subs back but aren't currently allowed to.  Not used a Morries C&C but I've used the online form to request a home delivery sub refund & the money was returned very quickly.  Might be the same process with C&C, if they're not allowing you to reject subs when you collect.