PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,113 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good evening
    BONUS CAKE!! :)

Just opened my door and sat outside it was a little bun/cake, topped with some buttercream and five jelly tots. :) Obviously from the LL.

Not sure if everybody else had cake/I missed it and one was left for me... or if I was singled out to receive cake. There are six of us lodging here; I saw one go out (could've returned/can't always tell), there was no cake by her door....

It was nice though :)
    I'll bet it was :)
    Mrs Un is vegan so this was a real treat.
    You are being spoiled - best make sure you don't let go stale ;)
    Farway wrote: »

Caron, now I'm thinking pea & ham soup. I've got dried peas somewhere, I've had them so long they maybe left over from the war by my Nan:D
    Might need another 1/2 hours cooking then :rotfl::rotfl:. Mine are mere babes by comparison though will I suspect be well past their BBE date as I never bought any last winter as I discovered I had a few packs hiding in the larder cupboard:cool:.

I can't say I fancy the cheese & cranberry crisps PN but I'd happily scoff the others. My house is accidently crisp-free just now apart from a large bag of tortilla chips LO from last weekend, I'm try to resist opening them as once they're opened I know I'll just be greedy with them.....:o

After my trip out this morning my oomph went awol this afternoon, the "wonky donkey" is definitely rumbling in the background.:( I'll watch what I'm doing for a couple of days and hopefully it will settle back down as I have a dental appointment on Wednesday that I don't want to put off as I've already had to rearrange it twice! My sis popped round for a cuppa just about 6pm and had to scrape the car before she left, she lives in a sheltered cul-de-sac which always seems to get the frost first in the area. It's supposed to not be quite as cold overnight but I'm not convinced.
    Dinner just needs assembling rather than prepping and won't take long to cook, then it's sofa, a bit of TV and an early night for me:).
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,163 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Best do as the donkey tells you Caronc :) hopefully a quiet couple of days will lock him back in the stable

Mmm cake, there's one slice of tea loaf in the freezer (I checked) but I'm trying to avoid. I hope Unrecordings that if it's to WI standards in has raspberry jam in the centre :D. My dad always made one every week usually with home made plum jam. I remember the week the cat took a bite as it was cooling, dad wasn't throwing it away:cool: so we weren't allowed to eat any by mum and he ate the lot :rotfl:

I decided I didn't need anything in town today [STRIKE](we won't mention the lack of Christmas shopping in the Brambling household [/STRIKE]) so pottered at home and in the garden to make the most of a dry mild day. I have caught up with The Team recorded last night as I deal with sub titles better when I'm not tired :)

Lunch was some quorn goujons in a pita with some raw spinach. Dinner a very nice rump steak (they always taste better reduced and this one was from the W8itrose meat counter via the freezer :D) jacket potato, onions, mushrooms and grilled tomatoes with a Chimichurri sauce
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • unrecordings
    Options
    I believe the cake has the correct jam. If memory serves these things go stale in quite a sedate fashion, unlike modern cakes. I'd have some now, but had home made curry for tea - maybe cake for breakfast again...

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,310 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    'morning folks, sunny but cold
    I was a bit cold overnight, I think it may be time to locate the extra winter duvet

Nice bowl of warming porridge for breakfast

Today is try & work out how to really use my camera, it has too many menu options for my brain, but searches reveal there is a You tube video on it, so may just settle down later & go through it.

The PDF manual is 350 pages:eek: so no way I'm going to print that off

Yesterday's HM veg soup turned out to be a real bargain for YS 20p. I've got one good portion left, so that's 3 good servings for 20p [+gas]:money:

The YS gammon turned out well using the cast iron pot in oven, cheated on washing up by wrapping in tin foil so no sticking on bits

Lunch will be some of the gammon in a sarnie, either with sliced tom or maybe chutney

Dinner will be LO beef stew + dumplings from Friday, only needs nuking

Today is no CFO but using previous HM CFO food. Ideal really
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • unrecordings
    Options
    maybe cake for breakfast again...

Sat here with a bowl of cake.
    One problem though. I still can't eat it for another 20 minutes until my meds settle :(

Mrs Un admits to coveting my cake but she's a proper old school vegan so it's safe

• unrecordings
    Options
    Still exceptional after nearly 48 hours...

• Oh Farway I know just how you feel about the cramp in the night, I get it in my toes too. I listen to LBC in the middle of the night, set TV to switch off and picture off, always talking so can drift off. Just made some small Xmas cakes (3 ingredient recipe), 2 in small baked bean cans and 1 in tall can, can cut in half, and with l/o mix put it in a black plastic pudding basin. They have all gone in slow cookers for a while and the cakes will (if they turn out OK) will be Xmas pressies. Am going to sm for a small shop maybe with 17yr old "girlie" from next door, so may have a light lunch there, then back home (turn down Xmas cakes) and later she will help me wrap Xmas gifts, have a take-away - hoping it will be the Jamaican we have been trying to get the last 2 weeks - and then Stricly results and His Dark Materials. A pretty decent Sunday actually.
  • caronc
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone,
    Glad the cake is maturing sedately unrecordings:)
    Brambling you are not alone in the lack of Christmas shopping.:cool: So far I have only bought part of one gift, I do need to get my finger out on that one as it's going to Greece and various food/drink items that have been on SO in recent weeks. As we did last year me, my kids, my sis & my nephew are doing a Secret Santa rather than individual gifts. I know who I've drawn but I'm waiting for them to lodge some ideas.

My gammon is still to be cooked Farway, I'll pop it in the SC in an hour or so. It won't take long as it's only a small piece.
    After yesterday's gloom and damp the skies must have cleared overnight and it's frosty and sunny today. The "wonky donkey" calmed down a bit overnight ,enough anyway to let me get the back windows washed though I had to let the hose defrost first. Just the inside of the patio doors to do now and that will be me finished with the bendy stuff for today as I don't want to push it. It's supposed to be properly cold tonight -4C but I've plenty of logs indoors and won't need to bring more in today thankfully.

Lunch will be oatcakes & cheese with veg sticks and tonight it's gammon, mash, cabbage and onion bread sauce. The mash is from the freezer and the gammon will look after itself in the SC so just veg & sauce to prep. I must remember to soak peas overnight to make soup tomorrow. Like you Farway I have a good crop of HM CFO stuff in the freezer just now so I'm trying to do a mix of using some of that and cooking fresh on my meal plan. I've a grocery delivery arriving tomorrow but it's just a few staples plus a stash of SO wine for Christmas as I'm not needing much bar the usual fresh bits and some veg.
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I had some vegan ham slices in a wholemeal sandwich with some wholegrain mustard for breakfast. I really fancied that type of mustard.:)

I'm about to go for a walk and feed the birds. It feels quite mild today as the sun is out.
  • caronc
    Options
    Swift change of plan here as my sis & nephew have invited themselves for dinner. There should just about be enough gammon ......
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback