PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,257 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Very foggy this morning, into town anyway for normal Thursday mooch

Bought the veggie sausage rolls in Ice£and, I was thinking of a trial run soon, to sample & see if worthwhile getting more in to take along to the veggie offspring at Chrimbo, not yet got my invite but be prepared;)

Plus found YS diced beef, £1, given the weather a dinner of beef casserole thingy was decided there & then.

Good job I had my peeled eyes open at the till, was rung up 50p over YS price:(, soon sorted:)

W8rose had a YS gammon, yay, it's 30% reduced offer at the moment, with loads of YS ones, found one just right size & price so no need to slice lumps off. It's BBE is Sunday so plenty of time to sort it out

Lunch of cheese & piccalilli on toast

Beef casserole made in cast iron pot & now in oven, I'll pop some dumplings & mushrooms in later
    Of course now I've decided on a warming dumpling laden dinner the sun has come out!
    Brambling wrote: »
    I have to get my own plumber in as it's indoors, and I will admit probably for the best that I can turn my water off :o. The guy told me that with everything in the house turned off it is still moving very slightly but until he can turn the stopcock off they won't now if it's inside of the house and my problem (no obviously signs) or outside and their problem.

Is your water meter a smart one? Only asking as I never knew they had them, I guess you are Southern water though?
    I hope your small leak is indoors and not something more onerous like your pipe from their meter to your house under your garden / drive etc
    Where I used to live it was lead piping, the neighbour had a leak under his garden, which become a pond once he dug down to locate the leak:eek:
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • unrecordings
    Options
    Blustery & horrible here. Nearly went back to bed after my morning joust with the NHS Mystery Caller system but decided to be brave and go to Waitrose and the delights of the deli therein. It was a couple of hours later than usual so YS was a little disappointing as was the deli - but we got what we needed and I'm now about [STRIKE]three[/STRIKE] two cups of tea away from 'all systems nominal'

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good evening everyone,

Late on parade today due to a combination of having to run an errand and two lots of unexpected (though) welcome visitors.

I had such a good time with my friends yesterday evening, I can't remember the last time I laughed as much and the food was excellent too.:D My favourite dish, though hard to chose, was a spicy keema dosa my local Indian restaurant doesn't make them so I always have one if I can and this one didn't disappoint.:) It's one of those things I keep meaning to try at home but never got round as they are a bit faffy though no individual stage is exactly onerous. The place we went to was more a cafe than a restaurant - very informal, BYO alcohol if you want (we didn't bother) and in a less than wonderful area but it was really busy for a baltic Wednesday evening so they're doing something right! I've been tired all day, not because I was out late but stupidly started watching TV when I got home and ended up getting my second wind. Consequently it was the early hours before I fell asleep but I still woke up my usual time. :(

It's been really cold for the past few days, the gritters were out in force when we were coming home yesterday and it's already freezing hard tonight. It was a lovely crisp and sunny day though and provided you were well wrapped up a pleasure to be out in. It looks as though tomorrow is to be cloudier though still as cold before we get rain on Saturday.
    Food today has been much more mundane - a ham salad wrap to use up the ham and stovies again tonight as I cba cooking and hadn't got round to freezing the spare from Tuesday. Looking at the tub there will still be some LO which I'll use up for lunch tomorrow.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,140 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    Is your water meter a smart one? Only asking as I never knew they had them, I guess you are Southern water though?
    I hope your small leak is indoors and not something more onerous like your pipe from their meter to your house under your garden / drive etc
    Where I used to live it was lead piping, the neighbour had a leak under his garden, which become a pond once he dug down to locate the leak:eek:

According to the man yesterday they have now fitted a smart one (it would have been nice to have been told) , I looked down the hole and it doesn't show a monetary amount it just means it sends a reading to them. The main road near me has had two water leaks recently so I'm hoping that doesn't mean the pipes are getting dodgy :cool:

Glad you enjoyed your Indian Caronc I prefer simple with great food as oppose to looking a million dollars and blah food

As feared my trip to the opticians meant the dreaded drops in my eyes which are still slightly blurry. It seems I have a new floater to add to my collection, this one is a large, clear donut shape one which has torn from the back near the optic nerve, luckily it hasn't torn the retina which is why she did the drops to check. I was good and bit my lip when she kept saying look at my earring as she shone a really bright light into my eyes which were blurred with the drops and no glasses and it was dark, I couldn't see her ear let alone a earring:cool: It seems it's a case of learning to live with it

I forgot I had soup in the fridge, so lunch was boiled eggs, dinner was a YS pulled duck in hoisin sauce in pita bread brought from M&S for 50p I thought I would give it ago at that price but now remember why I don't usually do ready meals but considered I'm still blurry it was a pinged in 2 minutes meal
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • caronc
    Options
    Yikes Brambling your opticians visit sounds pretty unpleasant but thankfully it's nothing to overly worry about <<hug>>
    Food wise I'd always vote for substance over style - I can think of a good few places locally that concentrate too much on the latter and think they are "high end" but are very much the proverbial "fur coat- no knickers" when it comes to the food:mad:. Yes this was pretty basic but clean & welcoming and very helpful with the "fussy eater" (there's always one in a group:cool:) who ended up really enjoying her meal.
  • unrecordings
    Options
    CFO became CFT as Mrs Un made a chilli this evening. Home grown Thai Cayenne chillis, vegan mince (brand unknown, but red/white freezer bag)

Had bacon sandwiches this morning with fried crumpets - in lieu of oatcakes - the staler/the more stale the better. These weren't quite stale enough so it was a bit greasy, but held me in reasonable stead for my morning 'what now' from the NHS. It (the crumpet) got me thinking in a very Baldrick kind of way about a potential 'vegan scallop' using a crumpet as the base then some kind of lemony something or other spread into the crumpet then fried like a scallop

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    CBA to type....
    Been out... bought crisps, sweets, kit-kats ... pukka pie, peas.
    Today: scrambled egg/flatbread; sweets, 2 packs of crisps and a kit-kat.
    Pie/chips/peas tomorrow as I was too full from sweeties and crisps to eat that today. :)
  • caronc
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

It was very cold & frosty here when I woke up and the frosty hasn't really shifted yet as it's quite overcast so it's feeling pretty cold out. Not that I've been far just to the bin and back but without a jacket it was perishing.
    The chores that didn't get done yesterday are on today's "to do" as for one reason and another I still haven't quite got the place back to rights after last weekend.
    There's a couple of spoonfuls of stovies left which on a piece of toast will do nicely for lunch. Dinner is still tbc probably a freezer rake of some description, my current meal plan finished yesterday so I need to have another look at what I've got in and if anything needs using sooner rather than later.
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I forgot to take the bird food out again so I had to give them some of my loaf of bread I just bought.

I've had wholemeal toast with marg and marmite and a leftover vegan southern fried chicken thing.

I then had some cherry and vanilla ice cream.:)

It (the crumpet) got me thinking in a very Baldrick kind of way about a potential 'vegan scallop' using a crumpet as the base then some kind of lemony something or other spread into the crumpet then fried like a scallop

I've made vegan scallops a few times with oyster mushrooms. I don't know why as I have no idea what scallops tasted like. The vegan ones were quite nice as I recall.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,257 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Dull with cold wind today, L's first thing needed spuds, on offer anyway so ideal.

Plus XCFO cheese, also on offer with a sensible BBE dates in 2020

YS bread & veg soup ready prepped mix, both 20p. I'll knock up the soup later & it'll be just right for tomorrow

Lunch was cheese & tom sarnie using some 20p loaf

Dinner, I really fancy easy peasy cheesy beans on toast tonight. I'll pop a couple of fried eggs on top to qualify as a home cooked meal:o
    I've made vegan scallops a few times with oyster mushrooms. I don't know why as I have no idea what scallops tasted like. The vegan ones were quite nice as I recall.

Another one here who has no idea what scallops taste like, or oysters come to that
    Eeeee we were so poor the nearest to shellfish we got was winkles, picked out with Nan's hat pin:)
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback