PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,310 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Woken middle of the night with raging cramp in my leg, then failed to drop off again:( Found myself half listening to something about oil on the beeb in the early hours:(:(

So after bit of a lie in, porridge etc breakfast
    Not sure what to do about the YS gammon, cook or freeze?

Erring on cook it side, I can always freeze the sliced finished prodcut
    Brambling wrote: »
    I'm really cba food wise today so lunch was vegetable soup and for dinner I blitzed the remaining soup (so it was a different texture :p) and added some falafels from the freezer for protein. A lonely pack of c&o crisps finish my random dinner, at least it was a healthy soup :D

Snap, sort of, the HM veg soup I made last night from L's YS [20p] ready prepped veg has been maturing overnight so it's today's lunch & dinner
    Nice & chunky at the moment but like you I may blitz the remainder just for a change

I have my mini pillow of meaty flavour crisps if needed;)
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I don't know what I fancy for breakfast, maybe baked beans and grilled toms on toast.
  • unrecordings
    Options
    Yesterday was fishandchipsnomatterwhat, which meant today: CAKE FOR BREAKFAST !!!

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 November 2019 at 1:46PM
    Options
    Last night: Pukka Chicken/Mushroom, what can I say.....

They have always been my pie of choice. The lovely flakey pastry top would be sliced off and eaten... then I'd dip chips into the pie case until all the filling had gone. That finally left just the whole/outer/empty pie base case which was a nice stodgy/soft pastry, almost part-suet-like.

They have changed!!

Pastry: different, "harder", not flakey
    Insides: Chicken was a bit "funny". First piece was almost gristle-like.
    Sauce: Still tastes the same, it is a lovely flavour.
    Base pastry: different, no longer moist/stodgy.

Used to be 10/10
    Now 4/10.

:( Bye bye Pukka.....

Breakfast this morning: hash browns, sausages, beans, scrambled eggs, splash of brown saude.

More sweeties have been scoffed: A few mint matchmakers, an orange kit-kat and some fizzy jellies.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Got a couple of ready cooked sausages out of freezer and will have sausage sarnies for lunch, also got a pack of Asda chicken fahita ( ) out so will cook that maybe for dinner, mainly because its a large box and I need some room in freezer.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,113 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone,
    Cake for lunch too unrecordings or are you being good and letting Mrs Un have a slice?;)
    PN - I had a pukka chicken pie not so long ago and completely agree they've changed them.:mad:
    It was frosty here first thing but it's grey, damp & bitterly cold here now. I had to go into town and I think I must have picked the most exposed spot in the area to wait for my taxi home. Although I didn't have to wait long my face was numb by the time it arrived my face was numb. While I was near it I popped into the fishmongers, after our discussions yesterday I was sorely tempted to buy some scallops but resisted (though now I'm home wish I hadn't) and settled for some cod and salmon. I'll use a piece of the cod tonight and freeze the rest. I had hoped to get some clams but they didn't have any apparently Friday is a good day for them which I'll need to remember. Must be "gammon weekend" Farway as I've a joint lurking in the fridge that I must portion and freeze before it goes OOD. I already have a small joint in the freezer from a large one I split up so I'll get it out so I can cook it tomorrow, if I remember correctly it was a particularly salty piece I'll soak it overnight to get rid of some it. HM pea and ham soup will be getting made this week.:)
    Tonight I'm just going to steam some of the cod in a parcel with butter, parsley and lemon, there's mash in the freezer (I think) and I'll nuke some green & broad beans. Lunch is a BLT wrap as there's one lonely wrap left and an open pack of bacon in fridge needing used up.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    BONUS CAKE!! :)

Just opened my door and sat outside it was a little bun/cake, topped with some buttercream and five jelly tots. :) Obviously from the LL.

Not sure if everybody else had cake/I missed it and one was left for me... or if I was singled out to receive cake. There are six of us lodging here; I saw one go out (could've returned/can't always tell), there was no cake by her door....

It was nice though :)
  • unrecordings
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Cake for lunch too unrecordings or are you being good and letting Mrs Un have a slice?;)

Mrs Un is vegan so this was a real treat.

Cheese & ham toasties for lunch - not quite figured out the correct mustard yet. Polish is too fruity, English (Colman's) maybe a little too strong, might have to go back to some form of Dijon

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,310 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    The HM veg soup turned out "just right", rest blitzed for dinner
    I followed lunch with a crisp sarnie:)

YS gammon in oven, I'm trying it in L's cast iron red pot.

Normally I SC but thought the oven would make the kitchen toasty at same time, it's cold & dull outside

Oh, shame about the Pukka chick pie PN, I loved the veggie L & P one but I do not normally buy Pukka meat pies, always wary of chewy knobbly bits in most meat pies:eek:

However a free cake is a silver ling at least, plus "More sweeties have been scoffed: A few mint matchmakers, an orange kit-kat" sounds like XCFO has arrived early

Caron, now I'm thinking pea & ham soup. I've got dried peas somewhere, I've had them so long they maybe left over from the war by my Nan:D
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Just opened a pack of crisps and realised I'd forgotten to tell you ...

I walked into Home Bargains the other day and, for no good reason, picked up a multipack of W's crisps, "Brussels Haters" my grabbed pack said.
    https://www.ocado.com/products/walkers-crispmas-sprout-haters-25g-x-435197011

I only bought them as they were six packs for 99p.

It turns out they are worth buying. Would recommend them; certainly better than, say, the Cheese/Onion.

Glazed Ham tasted like smokey bacon; cheese/cranberry taste cheesy and nice; turkey/stuffing tasted nice (can't recall what they tasted of, probably chicken). The flavours are subtle, not overpowering.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback