PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,252 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 18 November 2019 at 5:15PM
    Options
    Lunch was the last of the soup & dinner is definitely down the ham, egg, chips and mushroom route Brambling.

It's turned even colder, forecast is hard frost tonight but I doubt it'll match Caron's brrrr
    That's see of my dahlias & nasturtiums

There's a lovely sunset brewing, but b66er going out trying o photograph it:D
    I watched the end of Jack Ryan. Wow, I really liked it. Have you watched it all Farway?
    I would like to watch more shows like that.:T.
    Yes, I'm on episode 3 or maybe 4 of series 2, but now High Castle's back I'm mixing & matching at the moment

Brambling, by coincidence I was thinking of cauli cheese soon, just need to find the right price / size cauli, loads when I don't need one.
    Stollen, on my leave it until much later list or I'll need to buy another
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Breakfast: Sausages, hash browns, beans, scrambled eggs, splash of brown sauce. That's the end of those sausages.

Snacks: Final pack of crisps from the multipack, a kit-kat, quite a lot of fizzy jelly sweets.

Meal: Flatbread & 2 fishcakes (1cel4nd £1/10) with a splash of ketchup.

I'll no doubt continue to scoff jelly sweeties... might eat something in a flatbread later or might just decide CBA.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,097 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good evening everyone,

Oh Wednesday I love cauliflower tempura and also pakora after cauli cheese it's my favourite way to have it.:)
    As CFO I can struggle to get through a full cauli though do sometimes get one. I do like to keep a bag of the frozen stuff in the freezer as I find it is great for cauli cheese or soup. Though I find it less good for roasting etc. or as a plain veg.
    You should have definitely have got that YS gammon Brambling;), I split a 2.25kg piece into two joints, three largeish steaks and a bag of diced gammon yesterday giving me lots of options with it. The joints are 3 portions(ish) worth each and the diced will make 4 portions at least of casserole or pie filling. Once you untie it and spread it out a bit you can easily see what bits will work best for different things IFYSWIM. I paid £11 for it on SO and will get at least 13 meals from it plus stock from poaching the joints which I'm more than happy with.:)

It never really got much above freezing here today and in shady bits the ice didn't melt at all. My sis popped round just before lunch and announced that the bottom of my garden was like an ice rink:eek: and I wasn't to venture down there so she did the bin run for me. As soon as the sun started to sink the frost came back down so it's going to be another cold one tonight. It's supposed to get a bit milder from tomorrow before rain comes in later in the week. It's early in the season for it to have been as icy here, November tends to be more wet & windy weather with lots of gales.

I've had the quiet day I promised myself and ended up falling asleep for a goodish part of the afternoon but the "wonky donkey" feels quieter so probably what I needed. My soup is half made, it can have a "think" overnight and I'll finish it tomorrow as I cba tonight.
    Gammon, eggs, chips and mushrooms sound just the thing Farway so I think be following your lead and have similiar though will have the LO corn from last night with it and the "chips" will be waffles. A fried tomato may well sneak in.:)
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I regretted not buying the gammon almost as soon as I left the shop Caronc :cool: I love roasted cauliflower with spices but there's only so much a person can eat, and cauliflower soup is not one I want to take to work :D. It will have to stay lurking in the fridge until Thursday night whilst I have a think :think:

I ended up freezing the beef joint I'll do a roast one Sunday, therefore dinner was a slightly strange combination of LOs stir fried cabbage with bacon and onions and crumbed chicken thighs
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I just had a Gregg's vegan sausage roll for breakfast. My husband brought them home for me last night but I was in bed by half nine.
    Farway wrote: »
    Yes, I'm on episode 3 or maybe 4 of series 2, but now High Castle's back I'm mixing & matching at the moment

I read that the show Condor is meant to be similar to Jack Ryan. I might watch that at some point.:)
    caronc wrote: »
    Good evening everyone,

Oh Wednesday I love cauliflower tempura and also pakora after cauli cheese it's my favourite way to have it.:)
    As CFO I can struggle to get through a full cauli though do sometimes get one. I do like to keep a bag of the frozen stuff in the freezer as I find it is great for cauli cheese or soup. Though I find it less good for roasting etc. or as a plain veg.

Yes, I find the flavour isn't as nice as fresh but it is more convenient.
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I just went for a brisk 30 minute walk. Man, it is cold out there today!:eek:

I'm going to make spaghetti tonight with a HM tomato and black olive sauce and some wilted spinach on top.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,252 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 19 November 2019 at 3:22PM
    Options
    Frosty start as promised, warmed up now
    Into L's, loads of stuff I don't need, Xmas mainly of course
    I did buy some extra mature cheddar on special as XCFO standby.

The only things I wanted, dishwasher salt & tissues I failed to find, with the Xmas stuff. Hardly a body blow as I'm in town on Thursday anyway so task will be completed then

I just fancied fish & chips for lunch given the weather & lack of YS from L's. However another let down, parking spots full, so drove by:(

Lunch was thus ham & tom sarnie, nice enough but not what I'd fancied

Due to lack of F & C for lunch I need to think about dinner, and because the ham, egg, chips combo was so tasty last night I'll repeat it tonight.

No mushrooms though, used them up. Possibly crib Caron plan & grill a tom to go with it
    I'm going to make spaghetti tonight with a HM tomato and black olive sauce and some wilted spinach on top.
    Sounds nice, I've fancied spaghetti lately but none in the house, it was [STRIKE]chucked out[/STRIKE] tidied up by my offspring when I was in hospital & I've never replaced it due to CBA cooking it

Talking TV, I was watching the War of the Worlds on Beeb and thought I recognised the observatory area near the beginning, with telescope taking photos of Mars.

It was RHS Wisley in the greenhouse, I was in the same spot only last Monday, but filled with Halloween LO stuff then
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    ....I've fancied spaghetti lately but none in the house, it was [STRIKE]chucked out[/STRIKE] tidied up by my offspring when I was in hospital & I've never replaced it due to CBA cooking it
    Nuke.

I have a dish half the length of strands, so I snap the strands in half and lay them in the dish.... not deep, this won't work by over-stuffing loads into a tight dish.

Small splash of oil, small sprinkle of salt (both optional really).

JUST cover the strands in boiling water.

Nuke 2 mins, check/stir/splash more water so it all remains just covered.
    Repeat 3-4x until it's done. I just test a little bit to see.
    Drain, serve.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,097 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good evening everyone,
    Your pasta dish Wednesday sounds lovely just my sort of flavour combination :).
    Thanks to the "wonky donkey" who decided to have a bit of party in the early hours today's plan went a bit pear shaped.:( Meds finally locked it back up but knocked me out for a while and it was mid-morning before I surfaced still feeling dopey but the spins had gone. :) Consequently apart from basics I've not done much today and had another snooze in the afternoon - I do feel much better now though so don't mind losing most of the day if it does the trick. ;) Breakfast/lunch was a ham & tomato roll followed by some LO rice pudding and the last of the mandarin oranges. The pudding had gone a bit stodgy so the couple of spoonfuls that remain will be binned rather than frozen as I don't think they'd survive well and would defrost into sludge:eek:. It was apparently frosty first thing but it was away by the time I got up and it's been gloomy & damp though still bitterly cold. Although the temp reached 4C this afternoon the "feels like" never got higher than 1C! It's supposed to get wetter and windier overnight which may warm things up a little but possibly not enough for it to make much difference.

Pea & ham soup for dinner which I'm having "Dutch style" with sausagemeat balls and mash. I had intended to make potato dumplings but cba. Gnocchi would probably make a good sub for the dumplings but I don't have any in the freezer which is unusual, I must add some to my next food order. :cool: There is more sausagemeat than I need for the soup as annoyingly I didn't portion it properly it before freezing :o and the pieces had clamped together but I'll use the surplus in a pasta sauce tomorrow.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sorry to hear the damn donkey has been playing up again Caronc <hugs>

PN sorry but your way of cooking spaghetti looks more of a hassle than sticking it in a pan of salted boiling water for 8 or 9 minutes

Fire drill at work today which at least got us out of the office for a while, a bit nippy but at least it was dry, getting my lot out can be like herding cats :cool: I have been known to raise my voice at senior management, the yellow fire marshal jacket gives me the power :D

I'm not long back from the local theatre it was an Evening with Eric and Ernie tonight with half price tickets using my friend of the venue card :money: it brought back loads of memories from my childhood where we all sit down to watch the Morecambe and Wise Show on Saturday night :) and obviously being a audience of a certain age we all knew what was coming next :D and it finished with everyone singing along to Bring me Sunshine :). Just what was needed after today

Lunch and dinner were the same, LO mixed grains, vegetables and bacon, I was late home so pinged the last of the grains/vegetables. A bit boring but 2 minutes in the microwave was worth it, I haven't planned on making three portions (well more like two and a half) but these things often happen as you know :o
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback