We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Top Bank Accounts Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Anyone have a crystal ball to know if these accounts will be around in 12 months - or if its worth me keeping these 4 accounts as switching incentive ones!! :)

Keep them open for that reason, for the 1% - if you've exhausted all better opportunities, and/or as a place-holder for any future loyalty schemes that Nationwide might go in for.
  • desthemoaner
    Options
    Archi_Bald wrote: »
    I believe there is nothing in the T&Cs that says you cannot but better verify this is indeed the case.

Thank you, that I shall do.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    polymaff wrote: »
    Keep them open for that reason, for the 1% - if you've exhausted all better opportunities, and/or as a place-holder for any future loyalty schemes that Nationwide might go in for.
    You're going to have to have some serious cash assets (several £m!!) in order to need to scrape the bottom of the barrel for 1% (on £2.5K).

Agree with keeping at least one account there, but as I suggested earlier, best to hedge ones bets on FlexDirect still being around in 12 months and downgrade to FlexAccount* (or switch to FlexPlus if you think you'll benefit).

* And of course if you fund the FlexAccount with at least £750 a month you'll be able to obtain/retain 'main account' status (along with free annual UK & European travel insurance) and the option to benefit from their 'refer a friend' incentives.
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You're going to have to have some serious cash assets (several £m!!) in order to need to scrape the bottom of the barrel for 1% (on £2.5K).

You never know! We may be rubbing shoulders with one or two high rollers :)
  • sai5
    sai5 Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

How many halifax reward accounts can we open. I got already one and getting fiver and was reading some threads in which people were talking up to 4 reward accounts.

I got five DDs and can open tesco savings and use this to open 2 more reward accounts if I can. Any information regarding this will be helpful to me.

Thank you
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sai5 wrote: »
    How many halifax reward accounts can we open.
    Answered on the Halifax website, and in your account T&Cs.
    ...was reading some threads in which people were talking up to 4 reward accounts.
    Those with 4 (myself included) got them years ago before they limited the number.
  • Laner
    Laner Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 26 November 2014 at 1:13PM
    Options
    Just a word of warning. We tried to open one of these Nationwide current accounts recently, partly to take advantage of the free travel insurance. Fortunately we checked up on the cover before we signed up for the account. Being over 60 and relatively honest, I hope, we admitted to the sort of 'pre-existing' conditions that many people our age have - a bit of arthritis, some preventative statins etc.. and the quote came back at over £70, more than we'd been quoted on the general open market answering the same questions in the same way.

I accept we'd have to pay something, but am not convinced this offer is actually a good deal. It seems to be only 'free' to people who would be low risk anyway. Check it out before going in for this account if you're not young and fully fit.
  • dave_dph
    dave_dph Posts: 619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A great idea, so I swapped from my existing Santander account to a 123 account end of September. I noticed that I did not get a 2% repayment for my energy account. which is with a small company called Extra Energy. Contacted Santander, who inform me that the companies have to sign up to get the refund for their customers. This was not stated by anyone, including Money Saving Expert. Anyone else come across this one?

The 123 account now pays cashback on extraenergy DD payments :beer:
  • NewtoThis
    Options
    Went into my local Halifax branch to enquire about switching on 25th November 2014.
    Set-up switching to be completed on 8th December from Nationwide.
    From 28th November my Nationwide A/c showed "This account is being switched" whenever I logged-in.
    On 3rd December I received a text from Halifax saying that the switch could not be progressed.
    I phone Halifax switching to be told that Nationwide hadn't transferred my details in time and the switching process had been cancelled.
    I called Nationwide and they assured me that they had sent Halifax my details on 28th November.
    Called Halifax back and they insisted that they hadn't received the details from Nationwide and that the switching process needed to be restarted.
    I've restarted the switching process now for completion on 11th December. I just hope we don't loose out on the bonus.
    I'll keep you posted as to progress.
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    NewtoThis wrote: »
    Went into my local Halifax branch to enquire about switching on 25th November 2014.
    Set-up switching to be completed on 8th December from Nationwide.
    From 28th November my Nationwide A/c showed "This account is being switched" whenever I logged-in.
    On 3rd December I received a text from Halifax saying that the switch could not be progressed.
    I phone Halifax switching to be told that Nationwide hadn't transferred my details in time and the switching process had been cancelled.
    I called Nationwide and they assured me that they had sent Halifax my details on 28th November.
    Called Halifax back and they insisted that they hadn't received the details from Nationwide and that the switching process needed to be restarted.
    I've restarted the switching process now for completion on 11th December. I just hope we don't loose out on the bonus.
    I'll keep you posted as to progress.
    Why would you lose out on the bonus?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport