Options

Comments

• Tergat
    Tergat Posts: 818 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Daliah said:
    Tergat said:
    I've a couple of questions that hopefully someone can help me with.

I've a current account with nationwide and looking to switch around to get some quick Cashback...

The account I have I opened over 20 years ago and I no longer live in the UK - moved to Ireland. I use my account to make some purchases in sterling / use when I visit home.

Do I have to provide proof of address / ID to the bank I am switching to? Or is the CASS process designed to take this pain away?

I don't have any Direct Debits setup but as advised could setup some small amounts to charity for those banks that require a DD?

If I want to return back to nationwide I presume I can make this the last switch, nothing that I might not get Cashback on this aspect given I already have an account?
    I am afraid, you need to be a UK resident to open a UK bank account. No exception for Irish residents. Banks will generally try to identify you via electronic means - credit reference files and Electoral Register but if they don't find you there, you will have to provide proof of ID (easy to do with passport) as well as proof of UK address (not so easy for you). 

CASS makes no difference because you can only use CASS once your application for the new current account has been accepted (or if you already have an account with the target bank).
    Thanks. I probably have my bank statements as proof of address which I presume would suffice and assumed there was no need to go into a bank physically but by what you are saying there might be further restrictions that would prevent me switching.
  • Daliah
    Daliah Posts: 3,792 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Tergat said:
    Daliah said:
    Tergat said:

I've a current account with nationwide and looking to switch around to get some quick Cashback...

The account I have I opened over 20 years ago and I no longer live in the UK - moved to Ireland. I use my account to make some purchases in sterling / use when I visit home.

Do I have to provide proof of address / ID to the bank I am switching to? Or is the CASS process designed to take this pain away?

I don't have any Direct Debits setup but as advised could setup some small amounts to charity for those banks that require a DD?

If I want to return back to nationwide I presume I can make this the last switch, nothing that I might not get Cashback on this aspect given I already have an account?
    I am afraid, you need to be a UK resident to open a UK bank account. No exception for Irish residents. Banks will generally try to identify you via electronic means - credit reference files and Electoral Register but if they don't find you there, you will have to provide proof of ID (easy to do with passport) as well as proof of UK address (not so easy for you). 

CASS makes no difference because you can only use CASS once your application for the new current account has been accepted (or if you already have an account with the target bank).
    Thanks. I probably have my bank statements as proof of address which I presume would suffice and assumed there was no need to go into a bank physically but by what you are saying there might be further restrictions that would prevent me switching.
    Are you saying you still have a UK address, if only for the purposes of your Nationwide account, or other bank accounts? If so, what happens with your post (debit card etc) received at that address? 

Also, you shouldn‘t assume that you would not be asked to present your ID/proof of address in person at a High Street bank. It‘s rare that they do ask, but it can happen.
  • Tergat
    Tergat Posts: 818 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Daliah said:
    Tergat said:
    Daliah said:
    Tergat said:

Are you saying you still have a UK address, if only for the purposes of your Nationwide account, or other bank accounts? If so, what happens with your post (debit card etc) received at that address? 

Also, you shouldn‘t assume that you would not be asked to present your ID/proof of address in person at a High Street bank. It‘s rare that they do ask, but it can happen.
    Again appreciate the response.

My family still live in England. I was born there and moved to ROI for study when I was 18. All my statements etc go to my family home address.

Get ya re: the potential for being called in.
  • orange-juice
    Options
    Anyone else having issues with the Virgin Money android app? Extremely slow when trying to fill out the payment details on the 'make a payment' page. Just wondering whether it's down to my phone or are others experiencing the same laggy experience?
  • PegasusPJ
    Options
    Chase linked saver account is going up to 2.1% from 24 October (got an email yesterday)
  • dave_dph
    dave_dph Posts: 618 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Anyone else having issues with the Virgin Money android app? Extremely slow when trying to fill out the payment details on the 'make a payment' page. Just wondering whether it's down to my phone or are others experiencing the same laggy experience?
    Yes, same here on Redmi Note 10 Pro. Takes ages to respond 
  • Daliah
    Options
    PegasusPJ said:
    Chase linked saver account is going up to 2.1% from 24 October (got an email yesterday)
    Still lagging significantly behind the top rates. See the Savings & Investments board.
  • Racxie
    Racxie Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 16 October 2022 at 1:07AM
    Options
    Hi all, does anyone have any recommendations for random bank accounts (outside of the ones that offer switching bonuses or new customer bonuses) that I could open and use for switching fodder?

Just finished my switch to Santander so not expecting to get the cash bonus until January so I need to leave it open, but I'm after the bonuses for Club Lloyds and TSB Spend & Save as these are currently the only ones I'd still be able to get (although I'll obviously have to move fast as I don't have long left).

I'll be closing them as soon as I've got the cash and only keeping one open, and I'm aiming to do the 'charity trick' that people have suggested (setting up multiple DDs to charities for £1 to meet the criteria), so any recommendations around that would always be appreciated as well  :)
  • Daliah
    Options
    Racxie said:
    Hi all, does anyone have any recommendations for random bank accounts (outside of the ones that offer switching bonuses or new customer bonuses) that I could open and use for switching fodder?

Just finished my switch to Santander so not expecting to get the cash bonus until January so I need to leave it open, but I'm after the bonuses for Club Lloyds and TSB Spend & Save as these are currently the only ones I'd still be able to get (although I'll obviously have to move fast as I don't have long left).

I'll be closing them as soon as I've got the cash and only keeping one open, and I'm aiming to do the 'charity trick' that people have suggested (setting up multiple DDs to charities for £1 to meet the criteria), so any recommendations around that would always be appreciated as well  :)
    Any current account apart from Chase is suitable. Monzo, Starling and Metro are normally quick to open. It might also a good idea to keep accounts once switched, ready for any future switching offers that might become available. 
  • Racxie
    Racxie Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Daliah said:
    Racxie said:

Any current account apart from Chase is suitable. Monzo, Starling and Metro are normally quick to open. It might also a good idea to keep accounts once switched, ready for any future switching offers that might become available. 
    I have Starling which I opened and want to keep for overseas spending, and it'll hopefully become my one "stable" account for the sake of my credit score. I was trying to avoid Chase anyway because the new customer cashback offer for when I need it.

Monzo did cross my mind and had never heard of Metro, but those sound like good options. I'm not really keen on the idea of having multiple accounts open at once. I'd ideally prefer to stick to just 2 bank accounts, 2 credit accounts, and 2 crypto card accounts at once (so 6 total which is where I'm currently at). Having too many accounts at once seems a bit overkill to me!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback