Top Bank Accounts Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 January 2022 at 1:24PM
    Options
    If you are not expecting to apply for a mortgage in the short term then why not just open a current account with a major bank - no need to switch anything.
    Where credit "scoring" is concerned, long term relationships with banks are more important than which bank you use. The sooner you get started, the better.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • singhji
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I am Nationwide Flexdirect customer and I tried to switch using the current offer but it would not let me as sort code starting 07 does not qualify, so why they are saying we can switch from their current account to them.
    You have to use different accounts.

I think @MSE_Martinteam has to amend this article

Thx very much
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 February 2022 at 9:02PM
    Options
    Do you mean that you are trying to switch a Nationwide current account into a new Nationwide current account?
    It is unlikely any bank will pay a switching incentive to do that sort of thing.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • dave_dph
    dave_dph Posts: 619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    singhji said:
    Hi everyone,
    I am Nationwide Flexdirect customer and I tried to switch using the current offer but it would not let me as sort code starting 07 does not qualify, so why they are saying we can switch from their current account to them.

Thx very much
    Not sure what you mean. If you're trying to switch from another bank to your existing FlexDirect  then that certainly is possible, as long as the other bank uses the current account switch service. It has nothing to do with the sort code starting with 07. I switched into my existing Flex Account and that sort code is 070116
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,697 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 18 February 2022 at 10:23PM
    Options
    singhji said:
    Hi everyone,

Thx very much
    Yes, you obviously have to use different accounts. You seem to be trying to switch a Nationwide account to another Nationwide account? That's not what the switching offer is about.  It's about switching an account that is currently with a different bank, to Nationwide. You cannot switch from a Nationwide account to another Nationwide account. 
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,461 Forumite
    Options
    singhji said:
    why they are saying we can switch from their current account to them
    They're not saying that - both MSE and Nationwide make this clear:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/compare-best-bank-accounts/#nwideswitch
    You must also be switching from a non-Nationwide account

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/current-accounts/
    Complete a full switch online to a FlexPlus, FlexDirect or FlexAccount from another building society or a bank...
  • Malchester
    Options
    I had a NW FlexDirect account already in existence and, when Tesco Bank closed their current accounts switched that account to my existing NW FlexDirect account, sort code starting 07, no problem
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,697 Forumite
    edited 19 February 2022 at 11:35AM
    Options
    I had a NW FlexDirect account already in existence and, when Tesco Bank closed their current accounts switched that account to my existing NW FlexDirect account, sort code starting 07, no problem
    There's no problem in switching into any account with sort code starting 07, unless the account being switched is from the same bank. 

The issue here would seem to be that singhji is trying to switch a Nwide account to an Nwide account.

It would be helpful if singhji could confirm this, to clarify the situation.

Edited to add:  Nwide are the only users of sort codes starting 07, according to wikipedia, which seems to confirm singhji's problem, Nwide obviously won't accept a switch in from an account with an 07 sort code, because that would already be a Nwide account.
  • singhji
    Options
    Thanks very much for your comments all. I think I misread what was said in MSE page info but understood now that I can switch from other of my account to Nationwide flex account.
    Thx again
  • visi
    visi Posts: 36 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    MSE really do need to regularly assess the customer service aspects of banks.  First Direct used to be excellent all round, but after being with them 20 years their customer service, their communication, and their knowledge have all gone out the window.

I am now considering changing my bank because they have made it almost impossible for me to use my cards.  (And I don't owe any money!)  I am now convinced that it is run by AI and not humans.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback