NatWest £125 switch incentive

Options

Comments

• telemarks
    Options
    Hi Telemarks,

Having paid the £1500 into the NatWest a/c, I withdrew the chunks back to our main account, £400 one day and perhaps £300 over the next couple of days and then £400 and so on, until all the money was back in our original account.

I also made a few spends out of the NatWest account (I needed to buy a couple of rail tickets as I was going up to London over a couple of days and used the debit card for that, as I would have used that money from our main account anyway, so it was no inconvenience).

It just makes it look more like a used account, rather than simply paying a large sum of money in and then withdrawing it.

Thanks for the info :T
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    schiff wrote: »
    Where has this business about fraud come from? I don't remember it ever being a factor in other switches. Has someone actually been contacted by someone who said they were from the fraud department?
    Some people reported paying in £1500 and attempting to withdraw it again immediately. The withdrawal was then referred for fraud checks.

I don't remember it being a problem before either, but then not many switch options require a specific pay-in to qualify for the bonus.

There is also possibly the factor of many 'new' people joining in the switching bonus hunt this time round following the MSE email encouraging people to do it (the one talking about 'mule accounts').

Some new to the game people might be unaware of the kind of anti-fraud checks banks do, and that a big payment in followed by an identical amount being withdrawn might trip the checks designed to stop dodgy activites.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Missus_Hyde
    Options
    A lot of people on here seem to be trying to make Natwest 'think' they are using the account 'properly' rather than simply to get the incentive (by making payments, several transfers etc.)

Just to confirm - this is completely unnecessary - so long as you meet the t & c - see my post #3 on this thread, you'll get the incentive, no matter what Natwest 'think' you are doing
    adindas wrote: »
    Lol, and they will stop people from doing that by changing its T&C.
    EachPenny wrote: »
    Some people reported paying in £1500 and attempting to withdraw it again immediately. The withdrawal was then referred for fraud checks.

I don't remember it being a problem before either, but then not many switch options require a specific pay-in to qualify for the bonus.

There is also possibly the factor of many 'new' people joining in the switching bonus hunt this time round following the MSE email encouraging people to do it (the one talking about 'mule accounts').

Some new to the game people might be unaware of the kind of anti-fraud checks banks do, and that a big payment in followed by an identical amount being withdrawn might trip the checks designed to stop dodgy activites.

Whereas I agree that so long as the T&C’s are met by simply paying in the £1500 and then withdrawing it again, it’s quite straightforward to use the a/c for a few transactions. In my case it’s just as easy to use the NatWest a/c for a while until we get the bonus; after that I shall decide what to do with the a/c (probably switch it for another bonus.)

As a matter of fact for the more pedantic, I believe there was a post a few pages back, whereby someone had tried to withdraw their £1500, had the a/c frozen and was unable to withdraw the money from it.
    A cunning plan, Baldrick? Whatever it was, it's got to be better than pretending to be mad; after all, who'd notice another mad person around here?.......Edmund Blackadder.
  • jennifernil
    jennifernil Posts: 5,580 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 February 2018 at 9:56PM
    Options
    My OH also fell foul of the fraud team.

He switched in a Halifax Reward account which we needed the DDs from, it went fairly smoothly with ID etc., and he got a card reader and set up our main Halifax account as a payee.

I then sent him £1 to check that we had it correct, and he sent it back, all fine.

Then, without consulting me, he decided to try the app, and sent another £1. Meantime I had sent him £1000.

He then sent back £999, but it did not arrive. Trust him to do this on a Friday afternoon!

When it had not arrived by midnight, he rang them and was told to ring back after 3am when the fraud team would be back.

Not being early risers, he checked again next morning, still no money, but he then found his Nat West internet banking blocked. Having read on here, I had him check his texts, and there was the one asking him to text yes if he had requested the payment.

5 minutes later the money arrived, and 5 minutes after that the internet access was re-instated.

Nat West do seem over sensative, we still have £500 to pay in, but will do it in smaller chunks!
  • Ogordo
    Ogordo Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I applied today. Got accepted. Gave all my details for the switch. Like with other bank accounts I expected a confirmation email. Nothing. Starting to question whether it has gone right.

Have I missed something?
  • Frank121
    Frank121 Posts: 114 Forumite
    Options
    Ogordo wrote: »
    I applied today. Got accepted. Gave all my details for the switch. Like with other bank accounts I expected a confirmation email. Nothing. Starting to question whether it has gone right.

Have I missed something?

Only your patience and the will to live! Seriously it's normal, you will get mails and text messages in a day or so...in fact you will get so many you wish you didn't ask! I actually applied for two the first time as it wasn't obvious the first application was sucessfull. Hang in there, it's worth £125 after all.:)
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    Ogordo wrote: »

Have I missed something?

No, that's normal for NatWest. Prepare for the slow drip-feed of information and the contradictory statements. Eventually you will get there.
  • beefturnmail
    Options
    My OH also fell foul of the fraud team.

He switched in a Halifax Reward account which we needed the DDs from, it went fairly smoothly with ID etc., and he got a card reader and set up our main Halifax account as a payee.

I then sent him £1 to check that we had it correct, and he sent it back, all fine.

Then, without consulting me, he decided to try the app, and sent another £1. Meantime I had sent him £1000.

He then sent back £999, but it did not arrive. Trust him to do this on a Friday afternoon!

When it had not arrived by midnight, he rang them and was told to ring back after 3am when the fraud team would be back.

Not being early risers, he checked again next morning, still no money, but he then found his Nat West internet banking blocked. Having read on here, I had him check his texts, and there was the one asking him to text yes if he had requested the payment.

5 minutes later the money arrived, and 5 minutes after that the internet access was re-instated.

Nat West do seem over sensative, we still have £500 to pay in, but will do it in smaller chunks!

Likely the multiple payments of £1 followed by a large transfer which will have triggered the fraud alert (this is similar to what real fraudsters do), so you shouldn't have a problem paying in the £500 in one go
  • Ogordo
    Ogordo Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Frank121 wrote: »
    Only your patience and the will to live! Seriously it's normal, you will get mails and text messages in a day or so...in fact you will get so many you wish you didn't ask! I actually applied for two the first time as it wasn't obvious the first application was sucessfull. Hang in there, it's worth £125 after all.:)
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    No, that's normal for NatWest. Prepare for the slow drip-feed of information and the contradictory statements. Eventually you will get there.

Thanks for the response.
    I thought it'd be easy as I already have a savings account with them.
    Never mind.
    Enjoy your rewards.
  • nookey_bear
    Options
    I opened my account with no major issues, all done online including successful use of Digi doc to submit ID.

My wife did same, then was asked to submit photo ID via Natwest Photo ID Checker. She followed the instructions, but she keeps getting the message - Generic Process Error - Read timed out - We are not currently able to process your information

I get this in both chrome and explorer after clearing cookies - anyone have any ideas how to get around this issue?
    Start Date 28/04/2007
    Original amount outstanding = 152,500 Current amount outstanding = 103,000
    Original LTV = 61.86% Current LTV = 33.22%
    Original Pay Off Date = Apr 32 New Pay Off date = July 2024
    Total OP = £15980 since Feb 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts