What small moneysaving things will you be doing this week? W/C 08/01/18

Options

Comments

• mumofthetwins
    mumofthetwins Posts: 1,111 Forumite
    Options
    Hi guys .. I'm back on the DFW trail after slipping last year (still took a good chunk of the debt though ��) ... I love this board as it does really help to have like minded people around ����
    So today is the day ... I started by taking a few thing back that I had bought but would never use and I have started counting my change jar .. well jar one of many lol ... just counted up £5 which I will pay in tomorrow, I figure if I can pay in £5 each time I'm in town then that's all extra payments on the cc.
    I have started a spending diary and joined the PAD & NSD challenges as these really kept me going last time. Tonight I will put the change in my bag ready for tomorrow, will make lunch for work and pack some milk meaning I won't need to buy tea at work ��
    Tomorrow is a new day and hopefully a NSD at that lol

Lisa x
    DFW
    January £0/£11,100

NSD
    January 1/31
  • Baileys_Babe
    Baileys_Babe Posts: 5,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    1LL & CCL sorry for your losses.

Today has been cold out, as OH was wfh we lit the stove to keep us warm, lovely and toastie in the living room. The kitchen, on the other hand, was a chilling 13c

Today's small things were:
    Putting hair up to delay washing it for a day
    Lit stove
    Put kettles on top for free HW
    Set dw to run overnight
    Set wm to run overnight
    B/L/D from stores
    RMS
    Returned something by post for a refund
    Decluttered a kitchen shelf
    Applied for free book
    Check bank accounts
    NSD
    Made a batch of porridge
    Made HM bread

1smallstepWe too have been exhausted, I'm not sure if it's a virus or that we over did it in December? Yesterday when OH & DD got up to go to martial arts I turned over and slept for another 2 hours, instead of getting up an hour before they go :(
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • vickthestick
    Options
    At the top of any of the pages is a drop down with all the forum names on and subscribed threads link is there, near the top of the list.

Found it!
    Thank you PurpleFairy
  • 1SmallStep
    Options
    Got a really tickley sneezy thing going on at the moment, maybe that's why I've been out of sorts! Still, meant I was awake to receive a bnb booking for a couple of nights later this week.. January is often very very quiet so I dropped prices a little to try to bring something in, on the days I'm here. Not sure right the reduced prices it's really worth the faff (and the heating) on nights I'm not! Every little helps during this UFM though! Luckily enough of everything bar milk in I think. :)
  • vickthestick
    Options
    Morning all,
    The heating is back on - downstairs anyway - but I have had to put a fan heater into the girls' bedroom to take the chill off, which is so not MSE. Hopefully the engineer arrives today.
    Today:
    - Add the docs to the internet re-mortgage application for OH as he is not tech friendly
    - Packed lunch for work
    - School snacks from stores - No 1 Son decided to swap his crisps with a pal for a different kind of crisps yesterday. Who knew A1di crisps would be in such demand! :D
    - Read some DFW diaries for more inspiration

Have a good day everyone x
  • carrielovesfanta
    carrielovesfanta Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 9 January 2018 at 7:01PM
    Options
    Morning folks

Big hugs to everyone that needs them

Feeling a bit meh today which is unlike me. Really tired still from the flu and just a bit fed up of it. Still I probably just need a dose of MTFU :p

Didn't do much last night although did look through the slimming world mag and there's quite a nice week long meal plan that I'm going to do for next week. I'll make some of it a bit more substantial and add some snacks but it looks tasty.

Today's mission:
    • B/L/D from stores - done
    • Force OH to go to the doctors. He's asthmatic and has been coughing and snuffling for a month now but he seems a bit tired and subdued... even for him so I'm wondering if he has a chest infection. :cool: - appointment at 4.30
    • Start online shop - done
    • Going to see Star Wars at the pictures tonight. Won't be buying snacks.
    • Check out new CAL pattern for January - done
    • 1-2-1 with coach - done
    • Charge phone in work - done
    • No alcohol - done
    • Nabbed another free mag from work
    Have a good one all

clf x
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    Options
    Morning,

Bit of a biggy to begin with today. Cancelled Gym memberships. I work away from home so had an off peak membership at a gym close to home and a full membership of one where I work.

£32.99 in total per month saved. I was going to the gym 3-4 times per week so it wasn't wasted money, just not an essential spend. Dog has since been on more walks and is somewhat confused by amount of exercise as he's a big couch potato.

So I suppose walking dog instead of walking on treadmill is a good saving?

Working on a 3 day shopping plan at the moment to avoid waste. All current fresh food will be consumed by tomorrow lunchtime. Went through cupboards last night and made shopping list to use existing bits n bobs, rice, pasta, passata etc., and found an unopened jar of peanut butter which expires Jan 18 so that'll be a few cheap breakfasts spread on brown bread toast.

Big bag of porridge on shopping list too, so can alternate breakfasts for around 5p per day! I used to go to a cafe and think nothing of spending £5+ every morning for breakfast.

No wonder I got myself into a pickle.

It's a cold one up here today folks (Inverness), stay safe :)
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• carrielovesfanta
    Options
    fatrab wrote: »
    So I suppose walking dog instead of walking on treadmill is a good saving?

Good for fresh air and sunlight for vitamin D!

I can recommend Fitness Blender (search on youTube) for workouts that you can do at home with no equipment
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Morning all :)

Today is going to be a stay close to home day, but first I need to:

Go to the GP to fill in a repeat prescription form, I registered there before my new job and coincidentally nominated work as my pharmacy to pick up from which is going to be super convenient!

Go to library to print out Amazon label (mum's mouse not working) to give me time to wait for cheaper toner to come and also to save me a drive to the shops to buy some.

Small supermarket shop while I'm out.

After this the rest of my day I don't plan to leave the house and am going to sit and do my accounts as the receipts are starting to pile up. I need to submit my tax return to HMRC by the end of January and, though all this stuff won't be on this years, it's just brain clutter and once that's clear I can focus on my freelance accounts.

I need to retrieve a receipt to return some stuff to work tomorrow.

Lots of washing to be done but on top of the dishwashing.

Do another 20% water change on the fish tank.
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    Hi all :hello: :coffee:
    2 days in a row eh? Well, new me and all that. Not that I have much to report - I'm even more skint this month than I thought I was, but never mind. Forced frugality is making me have a serious rethink about my current attitude.
    Thank you all for the kind welcome back (not sure I deserve it, but I'm staying). 1LL - so sorry to read about your grandmother. There's never a good time, but Christmas always seems worse to lose a loved one. When I go to this funeral it will be almost 4 weeks since he died, which seems a ridiculously long time to have to wait.
    Naughty tortie is the most expensive cat ever HK. She's the only one of the 7 that I can't get reasonably priced insurance for and the only one of them that always needs really expensive stuff done. As you say though, they are part of the family, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm just pleased that she's still here.
    So, even though we're half way through today - here are my plans.
    Brought my coffee in from home so I didn't spend at MaccyD on my way in
    Teeny tiny PAD to my savings
    Get kids to do some jobs about the house
    Ask teaching friends for help with lesson planning so I don't spend a fortune looking for good biology stuff on TES
    Continue my new sleep plan and start winding down by half past nine.
    Plan all meals
    Use up stuff in the cupboards
    That will do - it's just small steps for the moment. Hope everyone is ok.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure