What small moneysaving things will you be doing this week? W/C 08/01/18

Options
When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
DF as at 30/12/16
Womblng 2020:
NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2

Comments

• determined_new_ms
    Options
    Morning :) So today is officially the end of the holidays with madam returning to school - :( it was so much fund while it lasted!

Today keeping it simple I think!

* currently cooking butter beans to batch make gigantis plaki. Will freeze 3 meals worth ;)
    * rice & veg for lunch made yesterday
    * going for a run this morning
    * flylady
    * freeze some pate
    * go to the allotment and do some covering. If dry enough plant garlic and onions :D
    * start tax return :(
    * must make time to sit and knit this week. I keep putting it on my list but never actually doing it!
    * 10 mins Portuguese lesson

that will do! Today's main task will be staying offline after I start getting ready!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • vickthestick
    Options
    Thanks for starting us off Determined. I need to get on and finish No 1 Son's cricket jumper as well.
    It's back to school for us.
    The heating packed in (again) last night. Minus 8 outside, Plus 8 inside. :eek:
    Need to do some heating system research at lunch time!
    Lunch made from yesterday's veg and gravy to heat at work.
    Have a good day everyone.
  • PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Morning all :hello:

Thanks for starting us off determined back to school here for us too. Today’s meeting in another town cancelled so I will wfh instead :) will hopefully allow me to do some jobs. These will include:

Blood test at doctors
    Pop to local bargain shop and get a few bits for dd party at the weekend
    Meals from stores, Thai yellow curry for tea
    Make a batch of cauliflower and brocolli bake for lunches this week
    Make some chicken soup, use chicken stock from freezer and a small portion of chicken from freezer or skim some off curry
    Do some last of washing and put away. No ironing :)
    Call tax office.
  • fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    Options
    First day back at work for me today, so no cash with me and last night's leftovers for lunch. My ambition this year is to eliminate food waste, eat what I buy in its entirety, stop snacking (this is where most of my unplanned spending was going last year) and hopefully lose a little bit of weight.

Waste in week 1 was 4 baby potatoes that sprouted before their sell by date and half of a tiger bread. Total value - around 60p. I can live with that but shows I can still do better!
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• carrielovesfanta
    carrielovesfanta Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 8 January 2018 at 6:48PM
    Options
    Morning folks!

It's a bit nippy here! -3 this morning :eek:

Not much to report. A lovely early night last night but I'm still zzzzzzz think it'll be another week or so before I'm really over this flu thing.

Today's mission:
    • B/L/D from stores. Am back on the healthy eating.
    • Work - done
    • 1-2-1 with coach at lunchtime. Am going to ask for some programming to bring me back up to speed. - coach has postponed til tomorrow. Will go for a walk instead
    • Heating off til I get home (unless OH has popped it on at some point this morning)
    • Possibly some crochet but I'm a bit tired
    • Possibly free stretching vid
    • No alcohol
    • Early night
    • Bought a bargainous Christmas garland for £6 at local florists wholesalers. Been looking for one for our bannister so am v. pleased.
    • Nabbed a freebie slimming world mag from work for recipes
    • Charge phone in work
    Not much doing here unfortunately.

Have a good one all

clf x
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Morning all, I have work d the last five days including a late night followed by an early start so I was in bed at 5pm last night and didn't get up until 9am this morning! I have agreed to do extra hours while they are short staffed but I was hoping it would be one extra day and not two! I am only doing four days next week though three of them are late nights but I don't mind that as I get to sleep in late!

I managed to get some carvery turkey at 75% off yesterday so will do a roast with that later, lunch will be fish and chips out with my mum.

I have the dishwasher running already but I need to:

Take some mugs down for the next load

Clean the fish tank, though we appear to have the preferred type of algae it is like pea soup so difficult to see the fish! Apparently the cure is to not leave the lights on 24 hours (even though one of them supposedly emulates moonlight) so that will be moneysaving as well as clear some algae.

I want to pop to Homebase to buy some glue sticks and a bigger bin for DS's room.

I need to send off more stuff to Amazon but still haven't bought printer cartridges so I will print out the labels at my mum's then drop it to the shop on the way home.

Sort out receipts for some items that need to be returned.
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,446 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 January 2018 at 8:15PM
    Options
    Morning all :)
    Up late again after not much sleep, ugh, hate that!
    Consequently not much done yet:
    Washed hair and allowed to dry naturally
    Foraged berries from freezer for breakfast instead of bought fruit
    Walked dog
    Quick tidy of kitchen, odd washing up done, DW on
    Changed handbag as the one I was using was annoying me. How is that moneysaving? I changed to one I already have instead of buying a new one :D
    Got some items ready for my sales unit
    Did paperwork for post office drop and go parcels
    Cast eye over food stocks etc and decided I can put off going to the supermarket (or indeed any shop) for another day :D

Actually when it is written down it looks like quite a lot, doesn't it :D

Still to do:
    Post office / sales unit, book I am not fussed on to CS Done, also took an itchy scarf from the coat rack to the CS. Someone less itchy than me will like it, as it is quite a smart design, and pure wool :)
    Bits from fridge for lunch Cheese and crackers for me, OH and DD had beans on toast. GD had already eaten, due to a special offer of a free kids meal at the soft play centre where they had spent the morning :)
    Walk dog again later Done
    Something with pasta and prawns for dinner, will make it up as I go along :)Cooked pasta, while that was doing I chopped a garlic clove and a red chilli, fried off for a few minutes, added a few sliced spring onions and some cut up tomato, then the prawns. Popped a few broccoli florets in with the pasta, drained when cooked, saved a couple of tablespoonsful of the cooking water, tossed it all together with a little bit of the cooking water, seasoned with salt and pepper. Could have done with some parsley, but I didn't have any in the house and it was dark by the time DD had gone home, and I wasn't up for hunting about in the garden with a torch for a few leaves! Took about 15 minutes with the chopping, tasted good, and a pack of prawns is gone from the freezer :D
    Wood stove alight later (with kettle on, for 'free' tea :D) Done
    DD is coming round, so I don't envisage chance to do much else! GD is a bit jealous as her mum likes to offload the baby onto me as soon as she gets in. GD decides she wants a cuddle, story etc when my lap is already full :rotfl: Arranged to have her on her own on Friday morning for grandma spoiling :) DD wants to go shopping, so that will suit both I think!
  • Bagpuss741
    Bagpuss741 Posts: 2,289 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Today I have/will:

1. Checked online banking
    2. NSD
    3. Sent off PIP form:eek:
    4. Physio (or as I'm now calling it torture:eek::rotfl:)
    5. Surveys, Bzzagent and consumer pulse
    6. Elevate and ice knee
    7. Phone surgery as physio wants me on higher pain killers
    Tesco: £1361.19, Vanquis: £2644.73, Very: £563.08, Next: £1636.95, M&S: £1049.92. As of 5th February 2024. Slava Ukraini
  • crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    Hi everyone :hello:
    Here I am again, sneaking in after more extended absences and promising to get back on the wagon. Those who know my diary or on FB know that I've had more busy time and more expense over the holiday. My savings are completely gone, and I need to build them back up asap so frugality will need to be the main theme of January.
    The naughty tortie who brought me out of my silence in mse land 2+ years ago has had a third, massive vet bill. She's had a cancer scare and some fairly major surgery. She's had the all clear for the moment but it was another £725 at the vets for her.
    My cousin died unexpectedly just before Christmas, and it's not his funeral until Thursday this week. It's over 200 miles away so I am thinking I might need to arrange a hotel on Wednesday night which will be more expense, plus fuel and food while me and ds are away.
    Plus the usual skint feeling that comes after Christmas...
    So, today I have meal planned to within an inch of my life, I'm back at work (didn't get a coffee on the way in) and trying to get back into a routine. One of my New Year 'things' was so find more time for things I enjoy. Well, I enjoy being on here so I'm determined to be on a bit more.
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,446 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your cousin CCL, love to you and your family.
    Glad !!!!!cat at least is ok, despite the bill :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport