What small moneysaving things will you be doing this week? W/C 08/01/18

Options

Comments

• FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 9 January 2018 at 9:36PM
    Options
    CCL and Foxgloves, it's the only one mine finish the plate of!

1LL, once upon a time I would buy a hot chocolate, a slice of cake and a packet of crisps every morning at Star*ucks, a fiver before 10am!

Since we're on the subject of lunches, (welcome, onedaysometime!) my favourite at the moment is panini with salami, cheap mozzarella, olives and sun dried tomatoes. It's better grilled at home but still okay done in the microwave at work. I've bought a pack of four to make them tonight to freeze for the next four days but I'm replacing the olives and tomatoes with pesto this time :)

The shepherd's pie was lush, there is enough left of tonight's one for tomorrow for DS while I'm at work and I have another cooling before going in the freezer.

I did all my various trips today and sorted some paperwork, I couldn't start my new accounts book though as there are some invoices etc. I need to print out.

Dawn, that is a very generous donation, I usually just buy a tin of own brand chilli! I sneaked a peek in the Waitrose food bank collection bin when I was in there with my mum yesterday, it was full of sweet things, mostly biscuits and muffins!
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • little_pink_purse
    Options
    evening every one

been miss a few days managed a few extra shifts
    money saving hubby managed to reduce sky by £20 a month
    and get more channels hes well please
    pay day Thursday never been this skint in a while

better go tidy up

keep warm and well xxxlppxxxx
    debt total £71k AGE 47 TRY TO BE DEBT FREE BY 50
  • vickthestick
    vickthestick Posts: 235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 January 2018 at 10:29PM
    Options
    Has anybody used YNAB? I've just signed up to their 34 day free trial but it's no5 what you'd call intuitive!
    And Determined, how have you manage to Womble so much already? I'm new to the Wombling thing. Do tell!
  • mumofthetwins
    Options
    Goodish day for me today money wise .. however DS fell down the train station steps this morning going to school, his brother even carried him back to my dads who him to hospital then called me at work to tell me once he knew DS was ok (at least I know they will look after each other when they need to lol)
    He is now on crutches and keeping topped up with pain killers 😔

Money wise
    Made my PAD of £6 and managed to pick up a couple of YS packs of steak for 70p before weight watchers 😉
    I have taken out some mince to make some scotch eggs tomorrow for this weeks lunches and am sitting thinking will I take out some chicken to batch cook some curry or not ?? I do have a few bits to use up so might be better using that first.
    I am planning a NSD tomorrow and going to did out my workout dvds as the cold I have had for weeks seems to be on it's way out now .. whoop

Hope everyone has had a fab day ... a whole new day and whole fresh start tomorrow 😀

Lisa x
    DFW
    January £0/£11,100

NSD
    January 1/31
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,446 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    FatVonD wrote: »
    time :)

Dawn, that is a very generous donation, I usually just buy a tin of own brand chilli! I sneaked a peek in the Waitrose food bank collection bin when I was in there with my mum yesterday, it was full of sweet things, mostly biscuits and muffins!

:o Not particularly generous, as I don't do direct debits to charities, as when I did I found that they were always phoning up to ask for more. This way, I can give a little and it stays on my own terms with no hassle. It was my New Year's resolution, to put £5 worth in the trolley each month. If you think about it, it is just the price of a couple of coffees (not that I buy coffee out much, but you know what I mean). Sometimes the food bank appeal on their FB page for specific things (teabags are a particular favourite), but if not, I tend to make a bit of a game of it, to try to make the money go as far as possible :) Nobody should have to go without food :(

A tin of chilli is a great idea btw - I will have a look next month when it is time to donate again :)
  • fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    edited 10 January 2018 at 8:28AM
    Options
    A small thing sprung to mind last night which is more micro-moneysaving but hopefully still counts.

At the start of January, as you do, I made 4 little challenges to myself. These weren't financial challenges, just something to do for a bit of self improvement/fun.

1. No F'book
    2. No alcohol
    3. No take aways
    4. No shaving

I've never grown facial hair before. I usually give in after 3 or 4 days.

But that got me thinking, how bloomin' expensive are razor blades? Shave less often, use less blades, save money!

Unfortunately my darling beloved wife doesn't like the bristles! Still, managed 9 days so that's a third less wear on the razor so far this year!

Still not been on fb, consumed alcohol on the 5th, had a takeaway on the 5th (anyone spot a pattern there?), shaved last night. No take aways or alcohol since the 5th either!
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,131 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning Money Savers,
    Not much time for myself today as I have a meeting tonight & need to put as much effort as possible into finishing the research project I agreed to do for local political thing I'm involved with. This is taking a LOT of work but I think I'll be pleased with the results. On today's small list:
    *Bake bread.
    *Make tomorrow's packed lunch.
    *2 baths from 1 lot of hot water.
    *Fill in calorie tracker book - already noticing food lasting longer now we have stopped being fat nackers & have resumed weight loss campaign.
    *Enter a prize draw.
    *Do Ipsos survey.
    *Finish knitting sleeve later on if time.
    Fatrab - I agree that the 'micro' things add up over a year. My partner is always going off on one about the price of razor blades....fortunately I like stubbly blokes! I do all sorts of tiny energy saving things which I hope add up to savings over time i.e Switching off the iron & pressing final garment using just residual heat & only boiling sufficient water in the kettle for coffee instead of paying to heat half a kettle full for just 1 mug.
    Have a good day all. Must go & get that bread dough started.
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,446 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 January 2018 at 7:00PM
    Options
    Morning all :)
    OH had a good session at the osteopathy / physio clinic yesterday. They examined him, studied his MRI and xray results, and made it clear that his condition can be treated and is not permanent. My own research had told him just the same (NHS and medical school web sites, not purveyors of magic pills - I am a researcher by training!) but he didn't really take that on board. Anyway, his mood is much lighter, and he will start his treatment proper on Friday :j

Anyway, I have the dentist this morning, so a spendy day :( :eek:
    Found a nice pink fleece top in a CS, £5, but nearly new. Also bought more painkillers for OH, a new toothbrush for me and a small white cabbage - the glamour :rotfl:
    Apart from that:
    Dog walks, OH may do one :)He did both :T They only went round the block, but often that is all the lazy dog wants to do anyway - he prefers to tear around the house while we throw his toys for him while it is cold outside :rotfl:
    Not much cooking needed, as I have soup and sweet and sour pork made yesterday :)
    Will make some blue cheese and walnut scones to use last of Xmas / NY stilton though! Done, also found a very much OOD jar of Dulce de Leche (can't even remember when I bought that, or why :o) so tried some of it it in a crumble with a couple of shrivelled apples from the fruit bowl - I will report back!
    Must do some cleaning today :eek: Cleaned the kitchen - it was sunny when I got back from the dentist's and it looked awful :o
    Check banks Still to do
    Check for surveys (not doing well at this atm) A few for onepoll
    List some things on ebay if the light is good enough to take photos Not done
    I need to do a job in the garden that requires it not to be wet or windy - wonder if today will be the day? Yes, winter wash stuff put on my little fruit trees :T

Anyway, best get ready to head off to the dentist :eek:
  • onedaysomeday
    Options
    Morning Everyone!

Beans on toast for my lunch today I think as I forgot to prepare anything better in advance!
    Hauling lots of stuff home today as I've been flat sitting for 2 weeks and I did debate getting a taxi to take it all home but I have decided to be good and just split it in manageable amounts and do more than one trip!
    Having to spend £3 today (shocker! :rotfl:) as our running club pays to use an athletics track once a month but considering its the only thing we really ever pay for I don't mind paying £3 ;)

Hope everyone has a great day!
    Just trying to make up for past mistakes and work towards the future I want :hello:
  • onedaysomeday
    Options
    1LuckyLady wrote: »
    That's great, when I first met my dh, he used to get a Boots meal deal most days, saved a small fortune when I showed him that it was costing him about £700 a year or something like that! He looks on at his colleagues now and can't believe how much they're all spending as its not just the meal deals now its the costalot on the way into work and on the way home too!

Yeah we have a rice and noodle van that does really nice and actually quite healthy large tubs of rice for a fiver. I used to try and kid myself I could make two meals out of it but I'd eat about half and then throw the rest away or keep it and forget to eat it. Add on a coffee and it was costing me at least £8.00 everytime I chose that for lunch! Scary stuff :eek:
    Just trying to make up for past mistakes and work towards the future I want :hello:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure