PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Options

Comments

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,914 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Alas the little waitrose over the road from work closed, & I slightly doubt the coop does goats milks, but will now keep a better informed eye out! Can you freeze it before cheesemaking?

Mechanic's neighbour found a book on health around 1700s for 50 pence & is delighting in it, even though it opens at the section on venery, & I got roped as as I had the ancestry app on my phone & could estimate the original owner's parentage given the details on the flyleaf. All venery aside, there were notes in three languages (English, Latin & we think italian) as it had heavy reference to Santorius (the chap who hung out with Leonardo & likeminded Italians but made a more thorough study of medicine). I don't usually look up dead people & read Latin while waiting to get my car tyres sorted but it was a very intriguing book.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,365 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Dear Gods. I have no idea where Himself is but I got a text asking Moorlands combined cheese making kit?

I've just been reading my Tudor Monastery Farm book (3 for £1, Hospice) and it's described cheese making with ewe's milk, which was a lot more common than cow's milk for many people.

A lot of my Syrian friends make their own cheese at home.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,365 Forumite
    Options
    Celtic Interactive DVD Quiz, was £1 in Hospice shop but they had a sale on so 50p.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,934 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Got another 'hurrah du jour' to report from this afty's foray to Otley and Ilkley. :j

In the BHF shop I spotted a bright orange Laura Ashley 'sheath' dress, (I am now confident to describe a dress as such when it has a waist seam/bodice darted into said seam/darts into the fitted skirt!:p). Very plain style with a slightly scoopy neck and sleeveless which showed off the unusual textured fabric nicely. Looked as new and priced at £8.99. Talked myself out of it as I have never worn any of the orange/yellow/mustard shades thinking they look much better on a dark-haired/olive skinned person than a blonde/English rose type like moi. Couldn't stop thinking about the blooming' dress as I continued my wanderings. Eventually decided to go back and try it on as I knew I would regret it if I didn't. It was a lovely fit and with a bit of a tan remaining from a recent holiday the colour didn't look too bad on me! The clincher came when I remembered I have an invite to Thirsk races shortly and as it is a dressy dress but not too eveningy it will be perfect for that. Just had a squiz on the interweb and someone is selling the dress on FleaBay at the mo and suggests that the dress originally was priced at £95. Will add a linky if anyone wants to see it....actually it looks much better in real life than in the seller's pics!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-new-with-tags-Laura-Ashley-dress-size-14/183786374260?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D398b84937f4440299f91b66684a1662a%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D183786374260%26itm%3D183786374260&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A932d4667-6b59-11e9-b799-74dbd180b885%7Cparentrq%3A6ec8b1df16a0ad417263270effedb7bd%7Ciid%3A1
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,056 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That’s gorgeous Miro, very elegant! What a fantastic bargain.
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Miro - that dress is very nice, should look good in winter too with tights and a nice cardigan.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,769 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Miro
    Lovely dress - and looks very well made as you would expect from Laura Ashley. Interesting fabric too.

Is the colour more vivid than in the photos?
    What colour accessories will you put with it?
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,934 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks all for the positive comments...I was really unsure about the colour as I have never ever worn orange before. That's the great thing about chazza shopping - you can try new styles and colours without making expensive mistakes!
    Pollycat wrote: »

Is the colour more vivid than in the photos?
    What colour accessories will you put with it?

Yes Pollycat, it is a brighter orange than it looks in the photos.....how did you guess? Hope the buyer likes 'bright'. Am watching the sale just out of curiosity to see what it sells for...currently £25 and a fair bit of interest! As for accessories...I have some smart black suede high heels and a black suede clutch for evenings perhaps and some black suede block heeled shoes for clomping around the racecourse with a black pashmina type wrap. I like dolly84's idea of thick black tights + ankle boots and a shortie cardie for winter too. Will be looking for a dangly 'statement' necklace now.....:D
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,914 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    And your gold & diamond spindle is an insufficient 'statement'?

Well, against that orange, maybe. Something in Whitby jet suitably statement-ish?!

And for winter, with thick black tights & Docs with vivid orange laces?
  • Potternerd
    Potternerd Posts: 373 Forumite
    edited 1 May 2019 at 7:08PM
    Options
    Having severe tingles of curiosity I have now googled where this burgh of mystery & intrigue & storming finds, Nettlebed, is.

That's not terribly handy for my parents but now I know where, I can scheme to include it on a rambling drive...
    Meanwhile I remain a staunch advocate of Chorley which has a healthy and active cs community as well as a handy railway station and a Booths (Waitrose of the north - one more loyalty fob, a reusable cup, a bag for life & the free coffee is yours!) Great for refreshing parts & preparing to hunt, or tallying over the victories.

Sadly Booths is only the Waitrose of the North West - I live in the NE but remember it fondly from growing up in the NW

After a bit of a barren spell
    Next high waisted jeans and gap HWJs both £5 but in v good condition
    Per Una white linen dress £1
    Grey Addidas sweatshirt for DS £7
    Tu floral blouse with ruffle sleeves, navy long shorts and denim cropped jegging £2 for the lot
    Silver tote bag 3.50

And my best thing a large silver leather John Lewis Weekend shoulder bag which gives me joy. £10
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure