PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Options

Comments

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,909 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 6 May 2019 at 8:56AM
    Options
    There are people who love it - I’m not of their number. That volume & price? Buy it & sell on to an antiques dealer, in person (I hate posting china, even the tricky to break stuff that is Denby!).

Don’t let my Denbyholism distract you from the other good stuff out there (Himself a devout Pearsons enthusiast but uses the pots for storage, whereas I just [I paraphrase a son] “go Smaug” on the stuff....)

Somewhere there is someone who comes over all unnecessary about each pattern - there is no particularly meritorious pattern - Denby produces a formidable range to tempt the funds from your wallet & so if it sparks joy, snaffle it!

And if it is signed by either Colledge give thought to the logistics of acquiring & selling on.
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I made a couple of little purchases yesterday. A Next long sleeved shirt for DH, pink and blue tiny checks with button down collar, chambray inside the collar and cuffs, NWT £3.50 and a Debenhams Collection shift dress in grey for me, fully lined and fits like a glove, looks barely worn £4.50. DD got a vintage style button through floral dress for £2.50.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    loving the denby talk i saw a lovely casseroleish dish with a lid for £8 in the imperial blue i like but couldnt think of a use so left it for someone else ...also in cr fgot a gold ticket so called north face jacket for a tenner bnwt i looked on website £180 so chuffed...unfortunately its just the weather for it today...happy bank holiday xx
    onwards and upwards
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I bought a Royal Copenhagen reticulated plate which was very pretty for £2.75. Apparently sold at auction for over £100!
  • DigForVictory
    Options
    I had to google what a reticulated plate was, but wow they look stunning! Like lace but in china.

(Anguished cries of "Mission Creep!" as someone peers over my shoulder...)
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,719 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I had to google what a reticulated plate was, but wow they look stunning! Like lace but in china.

(Anguished cries of "Mission Creep!" as someone peers over my shoulder...)
    Me too.
    I've seen loads but didn't know they were called that.

I obviously had a different idea of what 'reticulated' meant. :o
  • DigForVictory
    Options
    Nearly fell off the chair when I saw the reticulated python.
    That cannot be a common cs find...
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,719 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Me too.
    I've seen loads but didn't know they were called that.

I obviously had a different idea of what 'reticulated' meant. :o
    I was getting 'reticulated' mixed up with 'articulated'...:rotfl:
    I was imagining a plate that was hinged...:eek:
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,910 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I was getting 'reticulated' mixed up with 'articulated'...:rotfl:
    I was imagining a plate that was hinged...:eek:

Same here...I wondered why anyone would want a folding plate!!!! :rotfl:
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,910 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Had a nice surprise this afty....a friend has just returned from a trip to America and brought me back a 'Goodwill Jewelry Jar'. Never heard of them before but I understand that 'Goodwill' shops are similar to our charity shops and it is a thing for them to gather up surplus stock of costume-type jewellery...(sorry jewelry:o), stuff it into various sizes of glass jars, seal the tops and sell them at prices ranging from $5 to $100 depending if there is any silver or, heaven forbid, gold!. You get a tantalising glimpse of the contents through the glass but have no idea what might be lurking deep in the depths. Anyhoo, my friend bought one for herself as well so we have just had a fascinating time going through the two jars. My jar cost $10 and contained 6 items that I will keep and wear, (including an art deco stylee brooch, a silver & turquoise Indian style necklace, an abalone shell necklace, a chunky perspex bracelet, a gold coloured celtic knot type brooch and a multicoloured glass ring. Also put aside 4 items that I might use as gifts, some more will be returning to a charity shop and a few things that were damaged will be thrown away. I wish our charity shops would do something similar as it is great fun sorting through the goodies.

Well I never....just Googled to find out more about these jars and it seems that it is the thing to video yourself opening these jars and posting the video on Youtube! Who knew??!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure