PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Options

Comments

• Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Shearling isn't a brand, it's sheepskin.

I know, but this was "Shearlings" a brand.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,921 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pffft!!! Was supposed to be going to the monthly hospice jumble sale/bunfight this morning. Got up at 8am and took some rubbish to the bin store doing a penguin walk up the slope and a bambi back down. Went back to bed!! Now thinking of all the bargains I might have missed!!!! :o
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    hello went to my fav age uk clearance shop today to find it no longer a clearance shop....the prices have rocketed was less than impressed they never had much to work with such as primark labels and it has tripled in price .....safe to say I didn't buy anything I do think prices have gone up across the sector not sure I'm willing to pay prices I saw today....anyone else noticed ?
    onwards and upwards
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    hello went to my fav age uk clearance shop today to find it no longer a clearance shop....the prices have rocketed was less than impressed they never had much to work with such as primark labels and it has tripled in price .....safe to say I didn't buy anything I do think prices have gone up across the sector not sure I'm willing to pay prices I saw today....anyone else noticed ?
    Conversely an old haunt of mine (Wednesday2000 will know which this is) has become a victim of its own success. It's so busy it's impossible to browse, and its customers - apparently not one of them native English speakers, they certainly don't recognise "excuse me" - are just so rude, pushing and shoving. That is exactly because of its silly prices.

I am very pleased to no longer live in East London.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Conversely an old haunt of mine (Wednesday2000 will know which this is) has become a victim of its own success. It's so busy it's impossible to browse, and its customers - apparently not one of them native English speakers, they certainly don't recognise "excuse me" - are just so rude, pushing and shoving. That is exactly because of its silly prices.

I am very pleased to no longer live in East London.

I haven't been to that shop in a while.:D That sounds very annoying!
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have picked up a few things today. A Crew Clothing sweatshirt in white with broad pink stripes, 1/4 zip with a denim colour down the sides of the zip, pristine condition - £4.50, Earth Squared grey tweed bag with a red button fastening and handles which are spotted tweed and metal, £3.50. Does anyone remember when npower gave out those boxes of 4 energy bulbs? I got two boxes today so 8 bulbs for £2 and a very cute Wedgewood Made in England Beatrix Potter Mrs Rabbit bowl for 50p, these were from the tip shop. I had to rescue that little bowl, it is washed and looking very sweet on my dresser.

DD got a corduroy puffa jacket in a burnt orange colour, just primark but new and she loves it, I have to agree it is very attractive and I had spotted it as soon as I went into the shop, she paid £5 for it.

I saw a very nice Denby set, I am a Denby novice but learning from this thread, it was sold unfortunately and the price had gone but it was Blue Dawn, it was a coffee pot with 4 cups and saucers. I loved the colour and the design and if it had been for sale I may have been bringing that home.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    dolly84 wrote: »
    Pollycat - when you send your £2.95 parcels have you factored in that ebay charge you 10% on postage charges too so you really need to charge £3.45 to cover that cost.
    Thanks, Dolly.
    No, I'd not factored that in but I'm just glad to be getting rid of stuff that's been cluttering up the house for ages and making a bit of money out of it.
    I'm aware that postage costs puts people off.
    I just record what and item has sold for, how much postage I've charged, how much postage actually cost (as I can sometimes post large letter instead of small parcel) and then deduct fees at the end of each month so I'm left with a net profit.
    Yes, tessie bear, it's a subject that comes up now and again.
    My hospice shops have become very expensive.

Yesterday, I went to our nearest city (via a couple of small towns) and actually had a not-bad day.
    Hospice shop - a 100% square silk scarf in shades of ivory and grays for £1.00 (but was reduced in the sale from £3.00)
    After washing I may keep it for furoshiki.

Lighthouse shop - Next leggings, in a shiny-ish dark gray. £3.00

Age UK - TU red tartan leggings £1.00

(different) Lighthouse shop - a pair of brown, calf-length lace up flat boots (side zip), branded 'Soul of Africa' which apparently is a charity set up by Clarks shoes.
    Soul of Africa Charitable Trust is UK registered charity supporting education, training and job creation projects in Africa.
    https://soulofafrica.com/
    Great quality leather, VGC and a lovely herringbone tweed lining. £5.00.

And my favourite bargain:
    Air Ambulance - Joe Brown needle-cord sleeveless dress in teal with red, blue and yellow flowers on. Fully lined. £4.45
    WC364A.jpg
    WC364A_MODEL_FRONT.jpg
    It's short dress length on me, thick tights and boots and I'm good to go! :D
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Pollycat - I love that dress, it would be way too short on me I think though. Age UK sells BN Joe Browns that the company must donate, all tagged, the prices are high for a spur of the moment purchase though.

I forgot that I had another purchase yesterday, BNWT Cotton Traders fairisle knitted slipper boots with faux fur lining and pom poms, £3.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    dolly84 wrote: »
    Pollycat - I love that dress, it would be way too short on me I think though. Age UK sells BN Joe Browns that the company must donate, all tagged, the prices are high for a spur of the moment purchase though.

I forgot that I had another purchase yesterday, BNWT Cotton Traders fairisle knitted slipper boots with faux fur lining and pom poms, £3.
    Thanks, I'm really pleased with it.
    It's actually described as a tunic so us 'tinies' sometimes come up trumps. ;)

Pity about the Denby.
    Barnados had a chipped :eek: Denby storage jar for £9.99.

And also a Barbour winter tartan coat for £69.00. The inside lining had split and it would have been very hard to repair properly as you couldn't get to the inside of the coat.
    Pretty poor condition altogether really. :(
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    And also a Barbour winter tartan coat for £69.00.

For that price it should have been new with tags and signed by Mr Barbour himself!!!
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure