PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Options

Comments

• luvchocolate
    Options
    I totally agree with the above post, in my position as an ex charity shop manager with many years experience, volunteers have not necessarily worked in retail or in some cases never worked at all.
    Systems have changed drastically with computerised tills, gift aid, sales targets etc and a lot is put upon volunteers.
    As said charity shops are big business but without professional help.
    Its also a very physical and dirty job now that all donations have to be sorted into many different kinds of recycling, gone are the days when it was either rags or rubbish.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    CAFCGirl wrote: »
    Lots goes unseen though inc a lot of the abuse volunteers deal with. A close family member volunteers in one. She's almost 80 and been threatened, and assaulted by another volunteer, so I don't mean to offend by any means.
    That is very sad. What a slap in the face to community spirit! And fair enough Pollycat, volunteers aren't one homogenous bunch.

Keep donating, it's far better to do that than unwanted items ending up in landfill.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Sayschezza
    Options
    I work for a local hospice with several shops in the area. Accepting less than the marked price is a definite no no for any volunteers. Sadly it would also be open to abuse with some volunteers giving huge discounts to family and friends. Something similar happened in one of our shops some years ago with a volunteer who practically accepted any offer he was given. Must have cost the charity a lot of lost revenue over the years. One of his customers used to try it on in our shop and when she was refused she bragged how little she had to pay in the other shop and once showed us a beautiful real leather designer handbag she got knocked down to a couple of quid.It eventually came to the notice of the area manager and he was asked to leave.
    All that clutter used to be money
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,921 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »

To me, haggling in a charity shop is a big 'no-no'.
    Unless of course, there is some flaw/fault with the item but you still want it.

I wouldn't dream of haggling in a charity shop either, or any other shop for that matter....just makes me feel uncomfortable. (It's one of the reasons I wouldn't go back to certain countries where haggling is the norm!) I do appreciate that I am fortunate in never needing to do so tho.

I did once find a pair of Hobbs brand new trousers for sale at £20 and noticed that the seam had come undone at the side around the zip and there was a tiny hole where the stitching had pulled. There was no mention of any faults on the price ticket. I mentioned it to the shop manager and she offered them to me for half price which I thought was more than fair. That's the only time I have ever queried a price.

*Ahem*....talking of Hobbs...this afty I got a BNWT Hobbs dress from Barnardos reduced to half price...£4.99.

https://www.hobbs.co.uk/product/display?productid=0217-5023-1185L01&productvarid=0217-5023-1185L01-ROYAL-PURPLE-12
  • Sayschezza
    Options
    Moro that dress is fabulous. Well spotted.
    All that clutter used to be money
  • Happy_One
    Options
    Couple of nice charity shop buys this morning at YMCA, a large white wicker heart that I will make into a decoration for Easter, cost £1 and a Mason’s cereal bowl for 50p.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Sayschezza wrote: »
    Moro that dress is fabulous. Well spotted.
    It is fab, very elegant.

Well done. :T
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    An as-new Signare shopper-style bag in a tapestry material with a lovely poppy design. £3.00. Local charity shop. These retail about £15.
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=signare+tote+bags&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjy0qir-I7cAhVkBcAKHeLuDoAQsAQI9wI&biw=1366&bih=631
    I bought this ^^^^ last year and have used it a lot.

So yesterday I snapped up the same bag in a cream hummingbird and flower design from the local hospice shop. £3.50
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    Mir! wrote: »
    *Ahem*....talking of Hobbs...this afty I got a BNWT Hobbs dress from Barnardos reduced to half price...£4.99.

https://www.hobbs.co.uk/product/display?productid=0217-5023-1185L01&productvarid=0217-5023-1185L01-ROYAL-PURPLE-12

That is lovely.:)
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Miro - that dress is lovely.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories