PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Options

Comments

• C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,041 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I went to the Sue Ryder sale at Nettlebed again today, and had lots of little bargains. And then I hit gold .... something I have wanted for a very long time but have not been able to justify the price tag. I bought a fabulous Magimix electric ice cream and sorbet maker, not the ones where you have to pre-freeze the bowl, but one which churns and freezes it in less than 20 minutes. It retails at around £280, but I paid the princely sum of £5. It has the original receipt and guarantee with it, and it is still under warranty!

It is currently making some strawberry ice cream for me. I am very happy.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    CJ - am tying not to go kermit green with envy - you have the ice cream maker that has its own freezer unit? Found in a charity shop? Well, blimey Miracles DO happen - well done!
    Enjoy making all sorts of ice creams & sorbets - tell you you won't be able to wander past the yellow stickered fruit with the same cba to do anything with it... Also you can make the most amazing dishes for the really awkward eating squad (with the exception of the allergics) - huge relief!
  • yorkie_cook
    Options
    spotted in the age uk opposite the church in Huddersfield Town Centre, this jacket in various size (8 to 18 I think) on the £1 clearance rail, oh to be a few sizes smaller https://www.kaleidoscope.co.uk/products/joe-browns-mix-amp-match-fitted-summer-jacket/_/A-27X378_18?utm_source=GoogleProductList&utm_medium=PLA&utm_campaign=CoatsAndJackets&utm_content=27X378_18&ns_campaign=CoatsAndJackets&ns_mchannel=PLA&ns_source=GoogleProductList&ns_linkname=27X378_18&ns_fee=0&ordermedia=K5229&orderoffercode=RH8P&entry=3

the label in the collar had been cut but, the wash care with the make was intact
  • C_J
    Options
    I am still so insanely happy about the ice cream maker, it makes up for all those times I have trawled charity shops, boot sales (and Nettlebed) and found nothing at all. Just goes to show that there is such a thing as a CS fairy, and she was smiling on me this morning!

I cannot wait to get started on all the YS fruit, and my home grown stuff. The strawberry ice cream I made today was fantastic, and only took 15 minutes. I am thinking about maybe blackberry and gin for my next attempt ....
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Also you can make the most amazing dishes for the really awkward eating squad (with the exception of the allergics)

Loads of allergy-free iced dessert recipes out there, so even the allergics can have some too.

Stunning good deal, though.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,403 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    CJ I am envious about the ice-cream maker where you do t have to freeze the bowl. I have a machine where you do freeze the bowl. Have made the following ice-creams (all with egg, sugar, milk and cream):
    Vanilla, strawberry and cream: raspberry, black currant. Want to have a go at making rum raisin.

Visited Uxbridge yesterday and bought a small Pyrex shepherds pie dish £1 and a book that was published last year for £2.00
    I love going to new towns and hunting out the charity shops.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    C_J wrote: »
    I am thinking about maybe blackberry and gin for my next attempt ....
    Not too much gin or it will never freeze
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • C_J
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Not too much gin or it will never freeze

I thought I might cook the blackberries in the gin first, to get the flavour but lose some of the alcohol. Hopefully that will work. There is going to be lots of experimenting over the coming months (which will be fun).
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,909 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    spotted in the age uk opposite the church in Huddersfield Town Centre, this jacket in various size (8 to 18 I think) on the £1 clearance rail, oh to be a few sizes smaller https://www.kaleidoscope.co.uk/products/joe-browns-mix-amp-match-fitted-summer-jacket/_/A-27X378_18?utm_source=GoogleProductList&utm_medium=PLA&utm_campaign=CoatsAndJackets&utm_content=27X378_18&ns_campaign=CoatsAndJackets&ns_mchannel=PLA&ns_source=GoogleProductList&ns_linkname=27X378_18&ns_fee=0&ordermedia=K5229&orderoffercode=RH8P&entry=3

the label in the collar had been cut but, the wash care with the make was intact

Oh that's very interesting! One of the charity shops I frequent recently had a load of brand new Joe Brown womenswear garments. Half a dozen different styles but each in a range of sizes. (Can't for the life of me remember which one it was now!)

I have ice cream maker envy now! Dreaming about my fave.....brown bread ice cream. Sounds disgusting but totes delish:)
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I think Age UK have some sort of deal with Joe Browns and are getting a lot of brand new end of line clothing, typically of them they are asking a lot for it, more than you generally spend on the spur of the moment.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family