My 5 year plan

Options

Comments

• fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    Options
    Another step completed in the plan today, home insurance paid (£110) IN FULL, no monthly direct debit or APRs to worry about for the next year!! :)

Thanks for the comments above, I didn't think I'd decided quickly at all! I usually make decisions much quicker then that but I think that may have contributed to my financial downfall last year - by making the wrong decisions too quickly.

I'm on holiday next week, hopefully the weather stays nice and I can get on with the garden, and I've got the decorating in the hall to finish too - it's been dragging on too long, need to get my finger out!

Have a great weekend :)
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,227 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Have a good week off :)
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • LegBeforeWicket
    Options
    Enjoy the holiday, buddy. Although I don't envy you painting inside if this weather sticks around.
  • fatrab
    Options
    Well my week off didn't go to plan. Mrs fatrab was very unwell at the beginning of the week so my birthday celebrations were put on hold, but she was kind enough to share her bug with me so by the end of the week I wasn't very well either!

Absolutely zero got done around the house and we only managed one day out with the wee one who luckily seems to have managed to avoid catching this horrible bug that's going around.

Some good has come from this though. Obviously didn't spend anywhere near as much as I'd planned for the week off which is something of a bonus given the circumstances, and the "rapid unplanned weight loss" caused by the bug - 11lbs in 3 day to be precise - has got me a lot closer to being on target for where I wanted to be this month!

I've got 3lbs to lose then I'll be into the 14's! But I don't know if the weight will stay off as I'm sure a lot of it was just fluids.

So I'm setting myself a new target - lose 10 lbs in the next 10 weeks. Shouldn't be too hard to achieve but I said at the beginning of the year I wanted to lose a pound per week and I couldn't stick to it!

In other news, my mortgage balance dropped below £60k when the July payment was applied which is a nice milestone to reach.

Next few months will be quiet on the money front so I might not update my diary on a daily basis until things start to happen with the re-mortgage but I'll still be lurking around :)

• jwil
    Options
    Hope you are all feeling better now!

Good luck with the weightloss target
  • fatrab
    Options
    Just a wee update before the weekend!

Nothing much has changed financially, but I'm currently eating my way through the remaining food in the fridge and freezer. Once it's gone there will be no more unhealthy meals purchased for a while. Sunday's shopping & next week's meal plan will be difficult, but there will be no snacks, no ready meals and no over-processed junk!

I've set a challenge with a few of the lads in work to see who can lose the most weight over the next 10 weeks so that will give me some more incentive to do better. First weigh in is Monday morning.

Mrs fatrab's flat has a viewing tonight so fingers crossed!

Have a great weekend :)

• fatrab
    Options
    Morning diary,

New week - new me! Bought the whole weeks shopping yesterday which should see me eating healthily and saving money - aiming for 5 NSD's this week & to lose at least 1 pound.

There are 5 of us doing the weight loss challenge at work - £20 per person to enter and whoever loses the most weight gets the pot! £100 so that's a good incentive!

Still nobody interested in Mrs fatrab's flat which is becoming a bit of a financial headache. Had 2 more viewings at the weekend but nobody seems to be biting. We're going to do a combined budget from the end of this month so my SOA will change quite significantly. We've kept our finances separate up until now but things are going to be tight from this month onwards. I'm going to have my drop in take home pay and we've got 2 mortgages to pay, so we're going to have to combine funds, set a tight budget and stick to it.

Things don't feel like they're going to plan at the moment.

• Homegrown0
    Homegrown0 Posts: 1,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hey Rab - I like the sound of the weight loss bet. Great incentive to lose weight and get a budget boost!

I feel your pain about paying two mortgages, we have two or three months of this every time our flat changes tenants and it's pretty painful.Especially because it's tended to be every 6 months, tenants move on. Our latest lot have been in for a year but are leaving at the end of this term so we're trying to save a bit to cover potential double mortgage payments.

Fingers crossed it won't be for too long. Has your estate agent discussed ways of getting more interest? Open house, changing to fixed price, drop the price, offer other incentives?
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
    Pay off by Xmas 2019 #02 - target £10,000
  • jwil
    Options
    Good luck with the weightloss challenge.

I hope you get some interest in the flat soon.
  • fatrab
    Options
    Homegrown0 wrote: »
    Fingers crossed it won't be for too long. Has your estate agent discussed ways of getting more interest? Open house, changing to fixed price, drop the price, offer other incentives?
    Not yet, they said they've been quiet generally so they're not too concerned at present. That's easy for them to say!

We know of 2 other properties that have sold within 2 weeks of being advertised recently that are smaller and in less desirable areas so we're a bit baffled as to why it's not selling. It's priced £6k below the home report valuation so we know we're not asking too much for it.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport