On-line dating experiences?

Options

Comments

• onomatopoeia99
    Options
    AubreyMac wrote: »
    When I meet new people I reckon half of them do IT related jobs. How many IT jobs are there?
    Tons. I do most of them as I work for a tiny company so just end up doing whatever needs doing, hardware, networking, databases, telecoms, even though technically I'm employed to design and code software ('C' and assembly language, though I seem to do a lot of php these days :( ).

My employer says I can give myself any job description I like, as long as it doesn't include "director". I tend to use "Professional nerd".
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Zeni
    Zeni Posts: 424 Forumite
    Options
    AubreyMac wrote: »
    That's brave.

I once got chatting to a guy and we arranged to meet. Only on the day of meeting I found out he lived very very close to me. This scared me enough to back out. I was worried that it would get too awkward if I didn't want to see him again. I might bump into him or he might end up stalking me etc. I know that thinking might be a bit OTT but it worried me enough to not go.

Suppose never really saw it that way. To be fair, I live in a rural area so whoever I date around here going to see again anyway can't really escape that!
    Swagbuckling since Aug 2016 - Earnings so far.. £55.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,100 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    First experience (POF) that relationship was long distance and lasted 2 years. Second attempt was on another site, that only lasted about 3 months, but the last attempt(POF again) saw me meeting my now bf and we've been happily together 3 years this year, we're saving up to get a place together and i couldn;t be happier. I doubt our paths would ever have crossed offline so im lucky i replied to his message when i did as it was the start of something amazing :D
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I must say that it does amuse me how people use photos which have been heavily filtered (by Snapchat & other such apps) to improve their appearance. I downloaded Tinder last night & as I was swiping left & right, I saw someone who looked familiar & after looking at the pics it was someone I have known for 10 years but due to the heavy filtering of pics I didn't recognise her straight away.
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I did online dating when it was quite new 15 years ago. Anyway that's how I met my husband! I'd say always go for one of the better paid for sites. Some are just used by people wanting to hook up not actually looking for a relationship!
    It did feel a bit awkward browsing profiles as if shopping, but at least you know everyone there is looking for a relationship and you can quickly discount anyone who doesn't meet your essential criteria!
    After a couple of dates, my now husband and I agreed to cancel our online subscriptions and not see anyone else.
    I only met with 2 people before my husband and whilst I enjoyed chatting online we really didn't click in person. Just stay safe! I'm ashamed to say with one date I said I was going to the loo but actually went to my car and drove away. I just had a bad feeling. Trust your instincts.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I did online dating when it was quite new 15 years ago. Anyway that's how I met my husband! I'd say always go for one of the better paid for sites. Some are just used by people wanting to hook up not actually looking for a relationship!
    It did feel a bit awkward browsing profiles as if shopping, but at least you know everyone there is looking for a relationship and you can quickly discount anyone who doesn't meet your essential criteria!
    After a couple of dates, my now husband and I agreed to cancel our online subscriptions and not see anyone else.
    I only met with 2 people before my husband and whilst I enjoyed chatting online we really didn't click in person. Just stay safe! I'm ashamed to say with one date I said I was going to the loo but actually went to my car and drove away. I just had a bad feeling. Trust your instincts.

TBH, the time I've been on there, I've never met or came across anyone looking for a hook up, been on some nice dates, and many I have remained friends and in contact with for a good while afterwards.
    I too have just driven off only twice but feel no shame about it and I get the vibe from some that it has occured more often than some care to admit.
    It is usually personal circumstance that puts me off :o
  • Oakdene
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm ashamed to say with one date I said I was going to the loo but actually went to my car and drove away. I just had a bad feeling. Trust your instincts.

I am genuinely waiting for a post by someone else saying "went on a lovely date with someone I met online but they excused themselves to go to the loo & never returned." :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I did match.com and even paid- thinking if serious then others would pay too, nothing happened.

I met someone on a night out, swapped numbers and arranged a date - on on the day i kept thinking this is way too much hassle and couldn't be bothered (I did go). The date went great, the next day they wanted me to meet again but for me dating is not my thing and being single is for me and cancelled my membership.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Oakdene wrote: »
    I am genuinely waiting for a post by someone else saying "went on a lovely date with someone I met online but they excused themselves to go to the loo & never returned." :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Nearly but not quite, I once arranged a date, she turned up and looked very different to her pics, she said I wasn't as tall as she had hoped, anyways I gave her enough reasons to cut it short before we went anywhere eg have you left the iron on? have you forgotten to lock the house? We proceeded to go for a meal and drink (luckily she paid her half) walked her back to the train station and off I went to the car, she said to text when I got home which I did, but I noticed she had text to say she doesn't feel there is any chemistry.
    When I looked the time it was sent I couldn't have walked more than to the end of the road when she sent the message:rotfl:
  • Oakdene
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    DUTR wrote: »
    Nearly but not quite, I once arranged a date, she turned up and looked very different to her pics, she said I wasn't as tall as she had hoped, anyways I gave her enough reasons to cut it short before we went anywhere eg have you left the iron on? have you forgotten to lock the house? We proceeded to go for a meal and drink (luckily she paid her half) walked her back to the train station and off I went to the car, she said to text when I got home which I did, but I noticed she had text to say she doesn't feel there is any chemistry.
    When I looked the time it was sent I couldn't have walked more than to the end of the road when she sent the message:rotfl:

Aw well at least she was honest enough to say that you rather than to just ghost you.

My best-worst first date story involved meeting someone who then decided to snort some cocaine she had in a restuarant & then went missing!!
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business