Frump to Fab 2018 - Fabulous Dahhhhlings

Options

Comments

• humptydumptybits
    Options
    Glad you're feeling better. I've had a lovely afternoon with some friends, carols and I thought mince pies but it was quite a spread. Everyone happy and I smiled and laughed so much I ached by the end of it, gave my face and tummy muscles a good work out.
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Glad you're feeling better. I've had a lovely afternoon with some friends, carols and I thought mince pies but it was quite a spread. Everyone happy and I smiled and laughed so much I ached by the end of it, gave my face and tummy muscles a good work out.

It's ace having a good laugh.I'm usually the class clown, but lately have been through a bad patch.Onwards n upwards in the New Year though :D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,658 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »
    My Clogau pendant was obviously rubbing against it.

Oh how lovely polly. Which one have you got?

Most of my jewellery is just plain and gold. I have a few dress rings with semi precious stones but that's about it. I just wear gold bangles every day and my grandmother's wedding ring.

My one exception is a Trollbeads (similar to Pandora) bracelet. That's silver with a number of charms and beads in natural shades. One of my favourite charms has all the symbols from a Welsh lovespoon on the faces.

silva, you mentioned sometimes wearing a keeper ring to stop a too big one falling off. I do that too with both my own and my mother's wedding rings. The main (loose) culprit is a ruby and diamond ring that I inherited from my aunt (same style as the Princess Diana engagement ring). Do you think it's worth getting it resized? Years ago people used to wear clips inside rings or wrap them round with wool.:D

I'm interested that you saw a youtube video about tights/leggings being used as a layer money. I'd love some links if you can post them. That's a trick I use in the winter. I started doing it when I was on holiday in Poland last November. It meant I could wear a short jacket which was far less tiring to wear all day than my long, heavy wool coat. Leggings are brilliant for keeping draughts out as it tends to be biting wind that makes us coldest.

When I went to London yesterday I wore my black jeans with leggings underneath and a thermal vest underneath my burgundy Red Herring jumper. Topped off with my black quilted jacket, tartan scarf and Christmas gloves I felt both smart and snug.:)

I'm pleased to hear you're going to buy another bikini. I'm a fan too. :) I find them far more comfortable because I have a long body and one piece costumes don't feel right. Plus I'm so used to them now that I feel too wrapped up in swimsuit. My preference is for those that have shoulder straps rather than a halter which, while attractive, can be uncomfortable pulling on my neck. I have one from Top Shop but most of the others are Asda. Worth a look when they bring out their summer range. Matalan can be good too.

I've done most of my fresh food shopping today. I reckoned that as I usually shop on a Friday and the fresh stuff lasts the week there shouldn't be a problem. :)
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 December 2018 at 7:56PM
    Options
    Maman - Ive mentioned this before I had my worn wedding ring, my mother's wedding ring and my grandfather's signet ring all made into one. They were all quite worn and would just have ended up as junk as not really worth much but the emotional and sentiment value is immense. I'd certainly look to getting your ruby ring resized as it probably turns sideways as it's loose.(my Tanzanite is that design too)
    I second Asda bikinis - they do them in bra sizes and very useful if your top & bottom don't match! I'm tall with a long body and find tankinis good for the extra length and you can always roll them up to get a tummy tan if you feel inclined :)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Maman - I wasn't keeping track of particular names basically. I know there was a Canadian one and a Danish one (logical - as their climates are colder than ours).

But a recent "find" on there and she does some stuff on layering is the woman with the "Busbee Style" thread on YouTube.

So you could google YouTube and put in "Outfits for the snow" or "what to wear on a rainy day and still look stylish" or "How to layer your clothes to stay warm" and they are all on the Busbee Style channel on YouTube.

I'll come back if I remember the name of the other stylist that I watched several videos by - as she had some good tips too.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 21 December 2018 at 9:12PM
    Options
    Found it - another YouTube video on this that I thought had some useful tips:

"How to look cute when it's cold" and it's on a channel by Christie Ressel.

EDIT; Also "look cute when it's freezing" by Audrey Coyne.
  • humptydumptybits
    Options
    Well it isn't raining and that is a plus, is seems to have been raining constantly for the last few days. GC fed, washing on and waiting for youngest son to arrive. Starting to feel like Christmas!

I saw on the news that the police have 2 people in custody for the drone thing at Gatwick, I hope their shenanigans haven't ruined Christmas for too many people, felt really sorry for a woman I heard being interviewed yesterday who was missing her father's funeral. So sad.

I think I have all my shopping done, just get some bread and milk tomorrow or Monday and I'm good to go.

Hope everyone is feeling fab for Christmas.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Maman, I have the Tree of Life pendant, I think. I also have some gorgeous matching earrings, which I don't wear too often in case I lose one. For last Christmas I had the matching bracelet. It has quite a lot of gold on one side and a plain band on the other - much like a ring, in fact. Trouble is, the gold side is wider and heavier, so it turns inwards.

Treated myself to a couple of new cushions from Dunelm yesterday. Need to make the living room look fabulous!

Edit: might be Origins.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    Good morning lovely ladies

Went to see Mary Poppins last night. Loved it, Emily Blunt was so funny, can thoroughly recommend.

Popped into Kiko. They have already got some reductions, bought some eyebrow gel, an eyeshadow, and a new lippy. £13 the lot.

Had some very sad news yesterday. The death of one friend, early 60s and the serious illness of my friends husband 71, and only just retired.

I won't go into too much detail about the appalling mismanagement of his case but in the end, in desperation, they paid privately for an MRI scan on Wednesday night.. He's now in hospital. If they hadn't paid he too could have been dead by now......!!!!!!. Sorry, but I'm so angry.

It's all very well but what about the people who can't afford to pay, are they going to just be left to rot......:mad:

No I don't have any answers, but it seems the NHS is on its knees. How much longer is it going to limp along, failing those who need it most.

My private medical insurance is £73 per month. Every year I think I'll cancel it and then I hear cases like this and I think no, I'll just cut back somewhere else so I can keep it going.....not sure how much longer I can keep it though.

I know none of us is immortal, we all have to die at some point but even so.......

I guess we just have to live the best we can and get the most out of every day. That's my plan for 2019.

Carpe diem and all that.
  • humptydumptybits
    Options
    The NHS desperately needs more money and resources but so does social care, I can't help but think that if they invested some money in social care it would take so much pressure off the NHS and it would be cheaper, a care home bed is much cheaper than a hospital bed and if we could move all the "bed blockers" (hate that term) there would be more space/beds/time/staff etc for other people.

Of course more money for care homes doesn't make much of a headline and that's all that matters to some politicians.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure