NST January: Health, Wealth and a Life Well Lived

Options

Comments

• apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Today I am grateful for dd enjoying some of her dance classes, for smooth bus journeys, for a good chat about 'stuff' with another mum at dance, for getting more owls stuffed, for dd loving setting up scenes for photos, for mum having a good morning out with big sis, for a free bus journey yesterday, for making an avengers bag for a little friend of dd's.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    NSDs for yesterday and today. Went to cinema club, mum had got her times wrong so I had paid and saved our seats (they already had reserved notices on for us) then went back outside and read my book until she arrived. Good film, 'A Taste of Honey', thought I had seen it but I had not.

Toddled along to Icyland (mum using her walker), bought food for the week and for another little tea party, then a taxi to mum's. Packed everything away, cooked and set things out (mum put the icing letters she had made onto the little cakes we bought).

Both stuffed, lots left for mum to eat with today's visitor and cake for those who drop in. I brought lots of salady bits home (and some cake).

Today has been strange. I have been having problems with my right ankle (normally strap it up as soon as I notice it - sprained it badly many years ago and it causes problems if I have been doing too much/ in hot weather). My shoulder is still loose but some pain is back - think I need to monitor it, keep the doctor informed and accept any possible treatments. So stayed close to the bed today, was not very stoical about the pain, but have continued making very slow progress (gone past snail, I am now water dripping through limestone to make stalagtites).

Found the bandages for my ankle and the serious painkillers (knew where they were but getting them caused more pain and wasn't sure I was going to be able to get up again after). A hot bath helped.

I have also been a bit tearful (telling myself firmly not to be self pitying). As I wait for the appointment for level 3 of CBT, I have been pondering and assessing my 'current' situation. I think I have learned to co-exist with my depression. I am happy every day, I have many tricks for improving average days, surviving the bad days, I know when to ask for help but I have allowed it to diminish and restrict my life. I can get myself out of crisis (with help), I have reasonably good spells but I need to move forward (not been happening) as it's very easy to get off track (other people's needs/ my own ill health/ extra problems/ being every one else's cheer leader). I need to fight for me, which is a lot harder than fighting for my children or doing battle with the Inland Revenue.

For yesterday I am grateful for film club, for party food (free food) and for quiet companionship with my mother.

For today I am grateful for my bed, hot baths, painkillers, progress (slow slow progress) and time to assess and reflect.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • apple_muncher
    Options
    Mothernerd - are you going to be ok to run Feb's challenge? I don't want you taking on all of us turtles when it might be too much for you.

apple x
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thanks apple - I will be fine, it will help. Not really down, just need to find ways of bridging the gap between what I want and where I am.

Need to get angry and take action. Existing isn't enough, it's my time to fly.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • apple_muncher
    Options
    Just wanted to check, mothernerd. Glad you are still up for it.

Just read MMM's 'eulogy to another great dad' and although my dad did not fall into the 'great' category, it was well worth a read. And a time of ponderation.
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options
    Fmess wrote: »

Any advice or thoughts on working part time? I’m considering it.

Sorry I am coming late to this but not been on all week.

I know lots of people have commented already but my one area of concern is that if you go part time will you still have to do a full time job but in part time hours and get paid less??

If you would actually lose some of your work load then that would be ok but if you didn't then you are just going to work extra hard on some days for less pay.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options
    ((Kerrywoman)) So sorry to read your sad news, I hope you have some support in real life also.

Well last week was a bit of a wash out - as you know I have whooping cough but last week I think I may have succumbed to the winter lurgy and I now have the most horrendous cough (my whooping cough had been easing off), that as well as aching/tiredness/feeling cold meant I ended up in bed not long after I got in from work each evening. I probably was not well enough for work but never mind, I feel a lot better and just have a lingering cough plus the general aches caused by too much coughing.

I don't have time to stop as we are still clearing F-I-L's flat and trying to clear as much as possible from there before the keys are handed back in a few weeks.

Since last Saturday I have managed a further 5 NSD's taking me to 16 for the month so far.
  • Nicky_Noo_Na
    Options
    I'm going to have to go back to lurker status. Been scrimping all month to try and save a bit more towards the house renovation fund but we were burgled overnight on Thursday. Laptops, purse, cash and car stolen! Insurances should pay most back but we'll lose excesses and premiums will now go through the roof. Plus we'll be getting a new alarm, locks and extra security features which will cost a fair bit too. As well as the money I just feel sick about it all and not safe in my own house. Very sad times. Hopefully be back in a month or two xx
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,446 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm going to have to go back to lurker status. Been scrimping all month to try and save a bit more towards the house renovation fund but we were burgled overnight on Thursday. Laptops, purse, cash and car stolen! Insurances should pay most back but we'll lose excesses and premiums will now go through the roof. Plus we'll be getting a new alarm, locks and extra security features which will cost a fair bit too. As well as the money I just feel sick about it all and not safe in my own house. Very sad times. Hopefully be back in a month or two xx

So sorry to hear this :(
    Hope all the insurance stuff gets sorted out quickly.
    Sad to think there are so many scumbags about :mad:
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,446 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I know lots of people have commented already but my one area of concern is that if you go part time will you still have to do a full time job but in part time hours and get paid less??

If you would actually lose some of your work load then that would be ok but if you didn't then you are just going to work extra hard on some days for less pay.

This would be my concern too - in fact I have found myself in this exact position in the past :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure