We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Bull market, how long for?

Options

Comments

• iro
    iro Posts: 1,237 Forumite
    Options
    iro wrote: »
    Genuinely if you feel you want to give your money away to the less advantaged please feel free!

'They'd ring up their orders separately, buying food with food stamps, and beer, wine, and cigarettes with cash. They'd regularly go through the checkout line speaking on their cell phones. I could never understand why our lives felt like a struggle while those living off government largesse enjoyed trinkets that I only dreamed about.'

p139 Hillbilly Elegy - auth. JD Vance pub. William Collins 2016

Could this be anymore clearly a quote?
  • chrisgg
    chrisgg Posts: 68 Forumite
    Options
    iro wrote: »
    This Trump tax cut focuses on Corporations and lower earners not the high earning individuals Clinton chose so not comparable, the radical (and personally much appreciated) de-regulation of financial markets allowed a stock market rise that benefited the Public purse which led to the surplus as indeed your link confirms.

So the Reagan structural reforms DID lead to a Clinton surplus.

Do you think the large US firms, those most MSE investors would hold in large quantities as part of their US index funds and S&P 500 trackers, pay anywhere near the proposed 20% tax corporation tax rate, never mind the current 35%? The likes of Amazon and Apple are known for holding vast amounts of cash in foreign jurisdiction and have access to all sorts of clever accounting tricks.
  • iro
    Options
    chrisgg wrote: »
    Do you think the large US firms, those most MSE investors would hold in large quantities as part of their US index funds and S&P 500 trackers, pay anywhere near the proposed 20% tax corporation tax rate, never mind the current 35%? The likes of Amazon and Apple are known for holding vast amounts of cash in foreign jurisdiction and have access to all sorts of clever accounting tricks.

An interesting point thank you, perhaps a US private equity fund or a sectoral US fund might better capture the impact.
  • economic
    economic Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    edited 28 December 2017 at 7:31PM
    Options
    IanManc wrote: »
    Your parents hadn't paid for the complete infrastructure of the country that they found when they came here, had they? They used roads, hospitals, and every other public service that other people's taxes had paid for.

You are the one being naive. The roads, hospitals and other public services were built and run by people who got paid. They did not do it for free and then expect a handout for the efforts later on when my parents worked and paid their taxes.

the taxes my parents and i have paid pays for the continual running of the infrastructure/services and building new infrastructure.

The question then becomes at what point have we paid our "fair share" of taxes? I certainly do not think we should pay for anything to anyone who has not contributed to the economy.

So again, why should i subsidize someone else's life?
  • economic
    Options
    chrisgg wrote: »

No but the tax cuts will certainly help out the smaller businesses that employ by far the majority of the workforce in the US.
  • iro
    Options
    Anyone know of a US private equity fund?

I have 3i (some exposure to US) but I am at a loss to identify any others.
  • chrisgg
    chrisgg Posts: 68 Forumite
    Options
    economic wrote: »
    No but the tax cuts will certainly help out the smaller businesses that employ by far the majority of the workforce in the US.

Agreed, which is why I've bought units in Artemis US Smaller Companies,rather than adding to my holding in an S&P 500 tracker.

As IRO has mentioned above, I'm considering as US PE fund too if I can find one I like.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Buy low, sell high, simples. So how do you know when to sell then? Especially since all the experts consistently get it wrong. Incidentally some experts think we are overdue a crash.

Amazon was trading on a P\E of over 298 on December 22nd. How much further do you think that it will rise. As investors in trackers pile into the market chasing that pot of gold that lies at the end of the rainbow.

(Likewise Netflix trades at a p\e of 191).
  • economic
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Amazon was trading on a P\E of over 298 on December 22nd. How much further do you think that it will rise. As investors in trackers pile into the market chasing that pot of gold that lies at the end of the rainbow.

(Likewise Netflix trades at a p\e of 191).

Looking at PE alone to base an investment decision is very foolish.

Disclaimer: i own £10k worth of amazon shares plus however much in the various funds i own.
  • iro
    Options
    Looked at NAIT (which is in my portfolio), no evidence of Amazon as far as I can tell.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport