Bull market, how long for?

Options
When I started work I was told 'a Bull market always climbs a wall of worry', how much further does this Bull market have to run?

Whilst Trump may not be the sort of person you would want to know personally his tax cut agenda for many of us represent a brilliant challenge to the Big Government that got us in the current mess.

What does the future hold?

Comments

• Broken_Biscuits
    Options
    Since you have mentioned trump and therefore US, The link below shows lengths of previous bull and bear markets in s+p 500.

With this information you can do nothing whatsoever to predict the future. You could conclude that some bull markets were longer than this one historically and so we could go on for a few more years or you could see that some bull runs were shorter and so everything could start to crash tomorrow, next week or next month.

Every month keep putting a little ( or a lot if you can afford it) of your wages into a balanced portfolio and over your lifetime all should be well.

https://www.ftportfolios.com/Common/ContentFileLoader.aspx?ContentGUID=4ecfa978-d0bb-4924-92c8-628ff9bfe12d
  • iro
    iro Posts: 1,237 Forumite
    Options
    I agree equity markets reflect human ingenuity, endeavour and resilience if they are held over a long period.

Tax cuts represent an opportunity to save further money that otherwise would likely be frittered away by a third party on fags, cheap vodka/cider or lottery scratch cards.

Somebody please tell Hammond!
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,668 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    iro wrote: »
    Whilst Trump may not be the sort of person you would want to know personally his tax cut agenda for many of us represent a brilliant challenge to the Big Government that got us in the current mess.

You mean like cutting spending on the NHS? USA is very different setup to here and the tax cuts look to be of benefit to big companies and Trump's mates not to the average person
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • iro
    edited 27 December 2017 at 6:56PM
    Options
    Disagree

Blue collar employment rising

US Corporations reloacting back to the US

US stock market rising etc.

I would like my money to be spent on ME not poured into an endless, bottomless pit by the Government 'who care'!

If the Government made living in poverty comfortable what possible economic incentive would there be for avoiding it?
  • Prism
    Prism Posts: 3,804 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    When I started work I was told 'a Bull market always climbs a wall of worry', how much further does this Bull market have to run?

Nobody has a clue. Its uncertain if all of the US tax cuts are already accounted for by the stock market or not. Best to stay invested and simply see what happens.
  • A_T
    A_T Posts: 959 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    About the only thing certain about Trump's tax cuts is that they will increase national debt. His business model has always been to borrow other people's money.
  • A_T
    A_T Posts: 959 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I agree equity markets reflect human ingenuity, endeavour and resilience if they are held over a long period.

Tax cuts represent an opportunity to save further money that otherwise would likely be frittered away by a third party on fags, cheap vodka/cider or lottery scratch cards.

Somebody please tell Hammond!

Nigel Lawson tried that and it was a disaster - plunged the UK into recession.
  • iro
    Options
    No joining the ERM forced the UK into recession!
  • Keep_pedalling
    Options
    A_T wrote: »
    About the only thing certain about Trump's tax cuts is that they will increase national debt. His business model has always been to borrow other people's money.

Same old failed trickle down economics first implemented by Reagan.
  • iro
    Options
    Longest US Bull market since Eisenhower under Reagan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure