Keep Moving Challenge for 2018

Options

Comments

• Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    Options
    It was bloomin hard work this week but I made it to over 2000 miles for the first half of the year :T
    After realising that I was so close, I put in the extra effort and I was so pleased this morning to see that I was only needing 9 miles for today to get there, in the end I did 10.6 miles to clear the bar.

If someone had said to me 3 years ago that I could do this I would have put money on against it, I just had no idea that I would take to walking so well.
  • Kantankrus_Mare
    Kantankrus_Mare Posts: 6,104 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Agree :T :T :T

I walk with a group on Thursdays and at 58, I'm the 'baby' of the group, most are into their 70s and 80s. It's great to see their determination to get out there every week no matter what the weather. As we always walk at the pace of the slowest member of the group, it can be a bit frustrating for those that want to stride out but all things aside, they are a great bunch of men & women and the conversation is always bright & bubbly.

I would love to belong to a group like this though work would probably get in the way.

A lady I used to work with was in her early seventies and did serious walking 2/3 times a week for years. She got pancreatic cancer a couple of years ago and has completely recovered. I'm sure that her fitness levels played a huge part in how she dealt with it and her recovery.
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Options
    I would love to belong to a group like this though work would probably get in the way.

A lady I used to work with was in her early seventies and did serious walking 2/3 times a week for years. She got pancreatic cancer a couple of years ago and has completely recovered. I'm sure that her fitness levels played a huge part in how she dealt with it and her recovery.

We are part of Ramblers Scotland which itself is part of Ramblers UK if you go to the website there is a 'find your local group' button and you might find that they have a joint programme with surrounding groups and once a member you can walk with any group anywhere in the country :)
  • Kantankrus_Mare
    Options
    Thanks for that....will have a look. :D
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    edited 1 July 2018 at 7:53AM
    Options
    I am very happy today. Yet another personal best number of steps for June.
    I started counting steps in 2015 and I am still seeing personal bests.

I am convinced that just the simple thing of counting steps would add to everyones fitness. It does not matter how many steps you make, you only have one person to measure against and thats you.

Good luck to everyone and perhaps we should try to persuade an older friend to walk more or just count steps. It can get addictive!
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    gfplux wrote: »
    I am convinced that just the simple thing of counting steps would add to everyones fitness. It does not matter how many steps you make, you only have one person to measure against and thats you.

And here is me turned off the steps tracking on my watch because it just irritated me. :rotfl::rotfl:
    But that's more of a unique situation to me where I run quite a lot, so on rest days from training I don't do much.

However on that note, I have started winding down for a 55k race next Sunday so just 29.6miles run this week. Although I did 100 miles on the bike this weekend too.

916.6 miles run for the year so far
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Options
    My numbers for June are as follows;

Total miles - 347.5
    Total ascent - 16,136ft
    Energy used - 54,100kcal
    Shortest day - 8.71miles
    Longest day - 14.73miles
    Total Active time - 155hr 17mins
  • Kantankrus_Mare
    Options
    Just managed to scrape over the 50 mile mark this week.

50.83 miles to add...........getting closer to that halfway point. :D
  • Kantankrus_Mare
    Options
    33.52 miles on a "can't be ar*ed" week (Womens troubles that you men dont understand ;) )

Hopefully do better this week.
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Just to catch up - 51 miles last week and just 15 this week (but that is so I can recover from sundays 55k race)
    Brings me up to 993.4 miles for the year to date.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport