PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The All New Bang on Trend Cookbook Challenge 2018

Options

Comments

• ScotinLondon
    Options
    So not technically a new recipe for me as I make risottos all the time but mainly with leeks, mushroom & courgette. So today i winged it and made a beetroot risotto. No particular recipe just winged it in a similar way that I normally make a risotto.

SIL x
  • purpleybat
    Options
    Nelski wrote: »
    Steak and kidney

I had a devil of a job getting kidney (its the black beans all over again ) the butcher in morrisons who is usually really good said no-one liked kidney anymore :eek: :)

really? maybe it's a regional thing, I never have problems getting it in north London in our morries
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Options
    purpleybat wrote: »
    really? maybe it's a regional thing, I never have problems getting it in north London in our morries

Also living in London I'd say that getting offal and even the less premium cuts is getting pretty much impossible in the multiples. Morrisons is the best of the bunch but still has variable availability.

I can still remember buying lamb hearts, rabbit and tripe in Sainsburys during my student days.... no more.

I'd recommend ethnic shops who not only sell pretty much all of it but more importantly have a good turn over so it's fresh.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Yes really :D Maybe it is regional and I can imagine choice would be much wider in London than in Cheshire but I guess its all a supply and demand issue.. no demand no point stocking.

He did say that it would only take Jamie O to bring out an offal book and it would all reappear with a higher price of course :D ironically I was making a Jamie recipe
  • olgemama
    olgemama Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm late to the party, but would love to join this thread!
    I love looking at recipes, and I am also a fan of a post it note in a recipe book!
    I have challenged myself this year to do 'Meat Free Mondays'
    I broke the kids in gently, with a homemade cheese pizza one week, and a couple of tomato & spinach pasta sauces. This week I pushed it a little more and made a sweet potato, chickpea and spinach coconut curry - it was delicious!
    We are scoring the recipes each week too so we can remember which ones we want to do again.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 30 January 2018 at 3:46PM
    Options
    olgemama wrote: »
    I love looking at recipes, and I am also a fan of a post it note in a recipe book!
    I broke the kids in gently, with a homemade cheese pizza one week, and a couple of tomato & spinach pasta sauces. This week I pushed it a little more and made a sweet potato, chickpea and spinach coconut curry - it was delicious!
    We are scoring the recipes each week too so we can remember which ones we want to do again.

Dive in Olgemama great to have you on board :wave:

I have been dipping my toe into more veggie meals this year and a have a burger and bean chilli under my belt which I have really enjoyed. (recipes all posted on here)

Would love to see your scores when you start I have a collection of recipes posted by others on here which Im looking forward to trying. For me this is all about expanding my horizons with food and also actually using the many cookbooks I own instead of just reading:)
  • Mrs_Cheshire
    Mrs_Cheshire Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Nelski wrote: »
    Yes really :D Maybe it is regional and I can imagine choice would be much wider in London than in Cheshire but I guess its all a supply and demand issue.. no demand no point stocking.

He did say that it would only take Jamie O to bring out an offal book and it would all reappear with a higher price of course :D ironically I was making a Jamie recipe
    Whereabouts in Cheshire? I'm fairly local, living in a suburb of South Manchester
    olgemama wrote: »

Curry sounds lovely, I did try Meat free Mondays a while ago. Found it quite tricky was hubby is a carnivore and the kids are a bit picky. Be interested to hear what recipes you have planned.
    Grocery Challenge 2020
    Jan £377.98/£380, Feb £417.83/£370 March /£400
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,518 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sweet potato, chickpea and spinach coconut curry sounds gorgeous - recipe please!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    New recipe for me tonight:
    liver, bacon & onions

I usually buy a big lump of lamb's liver and cut it up myself instead of the sliced they sell in supermarkets and butchers.
    My usual recipes for this are Turkish liver casserole and then liver, bacon & tomato casserole.
    But this time it was a pretty big piece so with the remaining third (that's been in the freezer), I think I'm doing a fairly standard recipe - maybe based on the Hairy Bikers recipe but with lashings of onion.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I made honey and garlic chicken last night. It was lovely, would definitely make it again. The sauce was 4 tbsp of honey, 2 tbsp of soy sauce and 4 garlic cloves. The chicken was rolled in flour first and then the sauce poured over before cooking for 30/40 minutes.

the first time I look at this thread and then I see that lovely, quick and simple recipe. Wow
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure