PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The All New Bang on Trend Cookbook Challenge 2018

Options

Comments

• joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,573 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    joedenise wrote: »
    I've just ordered the Tom Kerridge book from Ama*on. Much cheaper than in the shops at £8.99 but a delay of a couple of weeks but happy with that for the much cheaper price - :money:.
    Denise

Had an e-mail to say it's being delivered today so not such a long wait after all! Looking forward to having a good look at it and adding some new recipes to next month's menu plan.

Denise
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I had a Scottish themed dinner last night... see separate thread.

Tomorrow I am making Jamie’s chicken and mushrooms from the 5 ingredient book. I’ve only got shiitake and chestnut mushrooms though.

Your meal looked gorgeous on the scottish thread :D
    caronc wrote: »
    Glad it worked well - it's fab you are "road testing" all these veggie dishes. I'm quetly stashing them for when my nephew's gf is here;):D

Yes its a nice change but I remain a hardened carnivore :D
  • Nelski
    Options

I'm trying too use my slow cooker more, any good recipes to share?
    The Tikka Masala was good, although I tried this sauce before I cooked it. It wasn't very strong so added more curry powder, was very spicy when cooked, so unless you like spicy food stick with the recommended amount.

Oh lots :) Its constantly on the go in this house. this week I have done meat chilli, bean chilli, steak and kidney and will be doing a ham in coke next week at some point.
    I also make lots of different soups, chicken casseroles of various sorts , whole joints of meat and lots more ...if you have an idea of what you would like let me know Im bound to have a recipe :)
    joedenise wrote: »
    Had an e-mail to say it's being delivered today so not such a long wait after all! Looking forward to having a good look at it and adding some new recipes to next month's menu plan.

Denise

yeah ...theres nothing quite as good as a new cook book:T Have fun
  • Nelski
    Options
    On a roll this week with new to me stuff. I really wanted to make some individual steak and kidney pies for the freezer. anyway in the end I opted for this recipe from my Jamies Great Britain book for the filling then used shop bought puff pastry to top instead of suet, too much hassle to make.

Steak and kidney

I had a devil of a job getting kidney (its the black beans all over again ) the butcher in morrisons who is usually really good said no-one liked kidney anymore :eek:

Anyhoo finally found a pack in Asda so all is well

Will report back later :)
  • Mrs_Cheshire
    Options
    Nelski wrote: »
    Oh lots :) Its constantly on the go in this house. this week I have done meat chilli, bean chilli, steak and kidney and will be doing a ham in coke next week at some point.
    I also make lots of different soups, chicken casseroles of various sorts , whole joints of meat and lots more ...if you have an idea of what you would like let me know Im bound to have a recipe :)

yeah ...theres nothing quite as good as a new cook book:T Have fun

Thanks Nelski, I've got young kids who are a little fussy. Only I would eat chilli, hubby and the boys aren't keen on beans mixed into things. Only hubby eats kidney. I keep meaning to try the ham in coke recipe, do you use a pork joint or gammon?
    Soup recipes are good as I'm doing slimm!ng world, chicken casseroles are good.
    Grocery Challenge 2020
    Jan £377.98/£380, Feb £417.83/£370 March /£400
  • downshifted
    downshifted Posts: 1,153 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you, we do like the fakeaway kebab, will add to Feb's menu plan

What else is in Jamie's chicken and mushrooms?

Chicken breast, mushrooms, red onion, cream and mustard. Really quick and easy and very tasty. Recommended.
    Downshifted

September GC £251.21/£250 October £248.82/£250 January £159.53/£200
  • Nelski
    Options
    Thanks Nelski, I've got young kids who are a little fussy. Only I would eat chilli, hubby and the boys aren't keen on beans mixed into things. Only hubby eats kidney. I keep meaning to try the ham in coke recipe, do you use a pork joint or gammon?
    Soup recipes are good as I'm doing slimm!ng world, chicken casseroles are good.

I use an unsmoked gammon joint ...its gorgeous :)
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bought another cookbook, oh dear, 'Cooking with tinned fish' by Bart Van Olphen.

Have made 2 recipes from The Savvy Shoppers Cookbook by Amy Sheppard, one was Sardine Butter Tagliatelle with Garlic Breadcrumbs, which was very tasty and cheap. The other was the scone based pizza, which was very tasty, but somehow I made one pizza from a recipe which when I looked back at it said 'Feeds 4'.
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,102 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Florence_J wrote: »
    Bought another cookbook, oh dear, 'Cooking with tinned fish' by Bart Van Olphen.

Have made 2 recipes from The Savvy Shoppers Cookbook by Amy Sheppard, one was Sardine Butter Tagliatelle with Garlic Breadcrumbs, which was very tasty and cheap. The other was the scone based pizza, which was very tasty, but somehow I made one pizza from a recipe which when I looked back at it said 'Feeds 4'.
    That sounds tasty
    If you like tinned fish (similar might be in your new book) I can recommend these https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/apr/16/jack-monroe-spaghetti-alla-puttanesca-recipe and this http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/janssons-temptation/ (which also works really well with sardines or pilchards[if you can get them without tomato sauce] or mackeral):)

Nelski - nearly the end of "bleak" January, thank you for starting the thread:A. Despite there being lots of festives LOs and "more month than money" it sparked me out my usual food rut at this time of year:D
  • Mrs_Cheshire
    Options
    Chicken breast, mushrooms, red onion, cream and mustard. Really quick and easy and very tasty. Recommended.

Sounds delicious
    Nelski wrote: »
    I use an unsmoked gammon joint ...its gorgeous :)

Will give it a go as I've got an unsmoked gammon joint in the freezer
    Florence_J wrote: »

I often make recipes and then check how many it's supposed to feed, often mine doesn't stretch as far. I think pizza base is tricky as it needs to be rolled so thinly to make the required number of portions.
    Grocery Challenge 2020
    Jan £377.98/£380, Feb £417.83/£370 March /£400
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family