PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The All New Bang on Trend Cookbook Challenge 2018

Options

Comments

• misty6
    misty6 Posts: 98 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Nelski and co,

Well I seem to be failing miserably with this challenge! I've only cooked one, new to me, dish this year and that came from the internet, not a recipe book.

I think I really probably need a sort of cook from scratch challenge as I am very prone to just shoving a ready meal or something frozen in the oven for ease. I really need to start making my own food again! It has also made me rethink my massive cook book stash. Realistically I never use them so should probably release a fair few to the charity shop. I haven't kondoed my kitchen yet as was dreading this category. At least this has helped me clarify how I feel.

Just wanted to say good luck to you all - hopefully when I get my cooking mojo back I will be able to add to this thread from time to time :)
    Mortgage and debt free :)
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    misty6 wrote: »
    Hi Nelski and co,

Well I seem to be failing miserably with this challenge! I've only cooked one, new to me, dish this year and that came from the internet, not a recipe book.

I think I really probably need a sort of cook from scratch challenge as I am very prone to just shoving a ready meal or something frozen in the oven for ease. I really need to start making my own food again! It has also made me rethink my massive cook book stash. Realistically I never use them so should probably release a fair few to the charity shop. I haven't kondoed my kitchen yet as was dreading this category. At least this has helped me clarify how I feel.

Just wanted to say good luck to you all - hopefully when I get my cooking mojo back I will be able to add to this thread from time to time :)

Aw misty theres no pressure and I figure internet recipes can count just as well. I guess the key for me is trying different foods and new to me recipes wherever they come from. Stick with us kiddo :D
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,102 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In continuing my "use it up" mode I was noodling on-line and came upon this https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/chestnut-bacon-parsnip-soup so I think that will be next week's soup sorted!
  • Nelski
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    In continuing my "use it up" mode I was noodling on-line and came upon this https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/chestnut-bacon-parsnip-soup so I think that will be next week's soup sorted!

mmm that looks really tasty :)

I'm making a new to me 3 bean mexican chilli which actually has 4 beans in it :D brewing away in the slow cooker now

4 bean mexican chilli

My cookbook choice for the next recipe is Jamies Great Britain lots of things i want to try whilst also using up some freezer stuff. I will choose something tomorrow when the slow cooker is freed up :)
  • caronc
    Options

Well next week's soup became this week's as I made the above:)

I followed the recipe apart from the following changes which I don't think overly impacted on the end result:-
    • I used a small pack of bacon lardons instead of chopped up streaky bacon
    • I didn't fry the bacon in oil - didn't think they needed it
    • I used dried thyme instead of fresh
    • I replaced the milk with 300ml water and 100mls cream
    • My pack of chestnuts was 180g not 200g (shrinkflation I think as I'm sure they used to be 200g:mad:)
    • Following a suggestion in one of the comments I added stirred in around 1/2 tsp of cayenne as I felt it needed "something" to lift it, this worked really well
    Feedback: It's easy to make but the recipe states 6 parsnips which can be hard to judge how much that is. One of the comments suggested 500g, I had three large ones which weighed just under that so used them, Commenters also noted re needing to add more water than stated, I reckoned I needed to add around a further 500ml to get to a decent though still thick soup. It also took quite a bit longer to cook but that was probably because I left the parsnips quite chunky.

Would I make it again? Oh yes, it was lovely, the sweetness/taste of the parnips really came through and the chestnuts added a nice savoury/woody background. It tastes really rich and luxurious and I've added it to my stash of "things to make if I have guests" list. I reckon I've got 6-8 portions as a small bowl is enough to satisfy so quite economical especially if you can get the chestnuts on SO:D. I also think it could quite easily be converted to veggie suitable if you replaced the bacon and chicken stock with shredded leeks and veggie stock.

Nelsksi- that 4 bean chilli sounds really tasty:).
  • Nelski
    Options
    Nelski wrote: »

Made this yesterday and it clears a good 9/10 :cool:
    Made it mostly to the recipe ....didn't add celery or cinnamon stick as I didn't have any in so used ground cinnamon instead. Also left out the tinned tomatoes as they are clearly the food of the devil :D Also used the slow cooker not the oven
    I used 4 beans ...kidney, black, black eyed and pinto.

Had some last night with a small amount of meat chilli left over from the night before, some sour cream and grated cheese.
    I can safely say I enjoyed the bean chilli as much as if not a little bit more than the usual meat one :eek: thats a turn up for the books for me!

Will make again definitely
  • downshifted
    downshifted Posts: 1,153 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I had a Scottish themed dinner last night... see separate thread.

Tomorrow I am making Jamie’s chicken and mushrooms from the 5 ingredient book. I’ve only got shiitake and chestnut mushrooms though.
    Downshifted

September GC £251.21/£250 October £248.82/£250 January £159.53/£200
  • caronc
    Options
    Made this yesterday and it clears a good 9/10 :cool:
    Made it mostly to the recipe ....didn't add celery or cinnamon stick as I didn't have any in so used ground cinnamon instead. Also left out the tinned tomatoes as they are clearly the food of the devil :D Also used the slow cooker not the oven
    I used 4 beans ...kidney, black, black eyed and pinto.

Had some last night with a small amount of meat chilli left over from the night before, some sour cream and grated cheese.
    I can safely say I enjoyed the bean chilli as much as if not a little bit more than the usual meat one :eek: thats a turn up for the books for me!

Will make again definitely
    Glad it worked well - it's fab you are "road testing" all these veggie dishes. I'm quetly stashing them for when my nephew's gf is here;):D
  • Mrs_Cheshire
    Options
    I've made this and it's just fine - benefits (for me anyway) from some mango chutney added to the sauce mix just before serving. If you like their "fakeaways" I really like the donner kebabs though made with very lean lamb mince is better though that's much harder to find https://www.slimmingworld.co.uk/recipes/doner-kebab.aspx

Thank you, we do like the fakeaway kebab, will add to Feb's menu plan
    mmm that looks really tasty :)

I'm making a new to me 3 bean mexican chilli which actually has 4 beans in it :D brewing away in the slow cooker now

4 bean mexican chilli

My cookbook choice for the next recipe is Jamies Great Britain lots of things i want to try whilst also using up some freezer stuff. I will choose something tomorrow when the slow cooker is freed up :)

I'm trying too use my slow cooker more, any good recipes to share?
    The Tikka Masala was good, although I tried this sauce before I cooked it. It wasn't very strong so added more curry powder, was very spicy when cooked, so unless you like spicy food stick with the recommended amount.
    I had a Scottish themed dinner last night... see separate thread.

Tomorrow I am making Jamie’s chicken and mushrooms from the 5 ingredient book. I’ve only got shiitake and chestnut mushrooms though.

What else is in Jamie's chicken and mushrooms?
    Grocery Challenge 2020
    Jan £377.98/£380, Feb £417.83/£370 March /£400
  • Mrs_Cheshire
    Options
    I made honey and garlic chicken last night. It was lovely, would definitely make it again. The sauce was 4 tbsp of honey, 2 tbsp of soy sauce and 4 garlic cloves. The chicken was rolled in flour first and then the sauce poured over before cooking for 30/40 minutes.
    Grocery Challenge 2020
    Jan £377.98/£380, Feb £417.83/£370 March /£400
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family