Returning Christmas presents to sender?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Weetina70
    Options
    They visited you. They may want to make amends. Also they could have easily posted them or left them for yous. Not wishing to see yous. I think returning them would be wrong. Give them the chance they may want.
  • July15moomin
    Options
    Get off Facebook, Twitter etc meet the friend for coffee thank her for the presents and move forward . Life is too short , how would you and your friend feel if you never got to see each other ever again !
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Weetina70 wrote: »
    They visited you. They may want to make amends. Also they could have easily posted them or left them for yous. Not wishing to see yous. I think returning them would be wrong. Give them the chance they may want.

No. They visited and gave the gifts BEFORE the falling out. They have since said they do not want to be friends.
  • Roger-Jolly
    Options
    I'm no saint, but I know from experience that having a rift with someone affects us as much or more than them.
    It took me two years of having this person that visited my work site daily, following a disagreement until eventually I took the 'bull by the horns' and in a private environment spoke to him and apologised, (even though he was the perpetrator) and asked if we could start afresh. He shook my hand and said, 'Life is too short to hold grudges'. Afterwards, I felt a weight lifted off my shoulders and after that, things were great between us.

Very often we find doing the right thing is the hardest.

Not telling you how to live your life, but I know that if you make some kind of peace with your former friend, you also will find you are able to move on and find peace.
    And, there is no better a time of year as someone has already said. Christmas is a time when all of us ought to have more charity, love and kindness consideration. Even if we have not initiated what caused the rift. It says more about us in how we deal with such situations than it does about them. We can only account for our own actions, not for someone-elses.
  • Annemad
    Options
    If you can't forgive and make up especially at Christmas then accept them with the grace they were given with at the time and then maybe make a donation to a worthwhile charity. If you become friends again at least something good was achieved.
  • Attila_the_Bun
    Options
    We still haven't found out what the tiff was about. I mean, did they kill your dog, or did they just say something you didn't like. Bit hard to advise the OP to forgive and forget without knowing exactly what went so badly wrong.
  • IDProtected
    Options
    Life is so short, try to make it up. Hopefully there will never come a day when you will regret falling out, but there is a chance that this could happen. At least send a thank you card from your daughter as a kind of olive branch.

I wish you the best of luck, and a Happy Christmas too.
    :xmassign:
    Owed @ LBM, including mtg: £85961.15, As of 1st August 2016: £14481.01 :j
    September 2016; out of debt and have savings for the saddest reason. RIP Aunty, I'll never forget you:(

Never begin a sentence with "And". Unless you are the Goo Goo Dolls that is.
  • cyantist
    cyantist Posts: 560 Forumite
    Options
    Get off Facebook, Twitter etc meet the friend for coffee thank her for the presents and move forward . Life is too short , how would you and your friend feel if you never got to see each other ever again !

The only problem is we live 250 miles from these friends, hence them dropping the gifts off so early. It wouldn't be easy to meet them for coffee even if we all wanted to!
    We still haven't found out what the tiff was about. I mean, did they kill your dog, or did they just say something you didn't like. Bit hard to advise the OP to forgive and forget without knowing exactly what went so badly wrong.

It's slightly more complicated but basically we said something they didn't like, and everything we have done for them (which is a lot!) is forgotten by them just like that.

Annemad: that's a lovely idea then everyone benefits.

I'll send a thank you card as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport