Returning Christmas presents to sender?

Options

Comments

• Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Once again I read of another thread which makes me infinitely thankful I decided never to venture to within a thousand miles of Facebook.
    It seems to make people lose all sense of good manners and converts their behaviour to that of squabbling ten year olds !
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Primrose wrote: »
    Once again I read of another thread which makes me infinitely thankful I decided never to venture to within a thousand miles of Facebook.
    It seems to make people lose all sense of good manners and converts their behaviour to that of squabbling ten year olds!

"Some people" - we use FB to keep in touch with family around the country and elsewhere and it works brilliantly for us.

I think the people who cause trouble on FB are the same ones who cause face-to-face rows - if you're not way inclined, FB can be very useful.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My 'best friend' ditched me on my birthday night out a number of years ago for her new friends. I was heartbroken and never wanted to speak to her again. She dropped off the presents she had to my husband next day.

It took me 3 years to open them (she'd put a lot of thought in and spent A LOT), we're on sort of speaking terms now years later but a lots changed, jobs, moving 300 miles away etc but things are never the same. I never wanted presents, just her there for my birthday.

Slightly different situation I've been in, but I'd give yours to charity, keep your child's and write a thank you letter saying this and explaining the rest and to an extent how you feel.
  • cyantist
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    "Some people" - we use FB to keep in touch with family around the country and elsewhere and it works brilliantly for us.

I think the people who cause trouble on FB are the same ones who cause face-to-face rows - if you're not way inclined, FB can be very useful.

I completely agree with this. Facebook had nothing to do with the falling out, and even if we weren't on Facebook nothing would really be different as the "we don't want to be friends with you anymore" text messages were clear enough. Really I probably shouldn't have even mentioned social media.

The people with behaviour to rival squabbling 10 year olds can be just as bad mannered and childish without any sort of social media!
  • redpete
    redpete Posts: 4,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    cyantist wrote: »
    I definitely think my daughter shouldn't suffer, and can have her gifts...^
    bit over the top to consider thar your daughter would suffer by not receiving a present she doesn't know she has yet.
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
  • cyantist
    cyantist Posts: 560 Forumite
    Options
    redpete wrote: »
    bit over the top to consider thar your daughter would suffer by not receiving a present she doesn't know she has yet.

Isn't that a phrase that's used a lot when people aren't talking about actual suffering?

My daughter will have a lot of presents and a wonderful Christmas regardless and you're right that she'd never know that she didn't get these particular presents but it doesn't mean it's not fair to not give them to her
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,594 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Primrose wrote: »
    It seems to make people lose all sense of good manners and converts their behaviour to that of squabbling ten year olds !

I think that's true of social media generally whether it's a Facebook or any other medium, even texts. It happens on this forum a lot too. People say things that they wouldn't necessarily say face to face.

It's the people themselves that lack control not the medium.

My DH uses Facebook all the time as a dedicated forum for one of his hobbies and he has no problems at all.
  • redpete
    redpete Posts: 4,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    cyantist wrote: »
    Isn't that a phrase that's used a lot when people aren't talking about actual suffering?
    can't say I've seen it used a lot in trivial circumstances.
    My daughter will have a lot of presents and a wonderful Christmas regardless and you're right that she'd never know that she didn't get these particular presents but it doesn't mean it's not fair to not give them to her
    I don't understand why fairness to her comes into it either, you haven't suggested the gift will make any difference to her enjoyment of Christmas let alone anything more significant. The decision is just down to what you feel best about. If it were me I would probably give the gifts to a charity where they can make a difference.
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
  • cyantist
    cyantist Posts: 560 Forumite
    Options
    can't say I've seen it used a lot in trivial circumstances.
    Apologies - people I know, especially family, use this phrase a lot so I assumed it was common.
    I don't understand why fairness to her comes into it either, you haven't suggested the gift will make any difference to her enjoyment of Christmas let alone anything more significant. The decision is just down to what you feel best about. If it were me I would probably give the gifts to a charity where they can make a difference.
    But isn't that the case with most gifts? I know most of what I'm getting for Christmas and I can't say many of them will particularly increase my enjoyment of the festive season. But I still feel it would be unfair for someone else to decide I shouldn't have those gifts for whatever reason. The presents were bought for her and while she has books (this is what the gift is) you can never have too many different ones and I actually think she will very much enjoy them.
  • Ziggazee
    Options
    "Every Internet Fight, Ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK6_tjizu_g

Watch what happens when the gate goes back.. :D"

This is hilarious! Thank you for making me laugh
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income