Returning Christmas presents to sender?

Options
We have fallen out with the couple who were previously our best friends. They visited a few weeks ago and dropped off Christmas presents for us and our daughter. We hadn't got their gift at that point.
I don't feel like we should keep the gifts in these circumstances and it would feel awkward even opening them now, but I also feel it's very petty to post them back to them.
What should we do?

Comments

• Sssssss
    Sssssss Posts: 1,094 Forumite
    Options
    Please give them to charity, good cause etc.
    Waste not want not.
  • cyantist
    cyantist Posts: 560 Forumite
    Options
    That's a nice idea. Thank you
  • fairy_lights
    Options
    Is there any chance it will all blow over and you will be friends again soon? If so I'd hold on to the presents for now as sending them back will only cause more bad feeling.
    If you're certain you will never be friends again I'd take them to the charity shop.
  • cyantist
    Options
    Is there any chance it will all blow over and you will be friends again soon? If so I'd hold on to the presents for now as sending them back will only cause more bad feeling.
    If you're certain you will never be friends again I'd take them to the charity shop.

Absolutely no chance. She has removed herself from group chat and unfriended/unfollowed us both on various social media accounts. And to be honest after this I'm not really interested in making amends
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am more interested in what caused the falling out to be honest

Only kidding

Yeah charity shop them
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • Diamandis
    Options
    Send them to me.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    cyantist wrote: »
    She has removed herself from group chat and unfriended/unfollowed us both on various social media accounts. And to be honest after this I'm not really interested in making amends

Seriously :rotfl: - this is more important to you than whatever the original disagreement was.

Having been in a similar situation I'd play the bigger man/woman, accept the presents graciously and send a thankyou note without mentioning the fall out at all
  • cyantist
    Options
    Diamandis wrote: »
    Send them to me.
    Send me money for postage and I'll send them to you. Honestly.
  • cyantist
    Options
    k3lvc wrote: »
    Seriously :rotfl: - this is more important to you than whatever the original disagreement was.

Having been in a similar situation I'd play the bigger man/woman, accept the presents graciously and send a thankyou note without mentioning the fall out at all

Haha when it say "this" I mean the falling out and the reasons for it - not the fact that she has unfriended us!
    That was just to emphasise that she definitely sees the friendship as over (plus she said these exact words)
  • fairy_lights
    Options
    Ok but at least open the presents and tell us what they gave you! :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills