Returning Christmas presents to sender?

Options

Comments

• cyantist
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    I'd accept the presents graciously and send a thank you on her behalf. Then just leave it. If they want to take your behaviour over the present as an olive branch then you can discuss it further.

I have to say that all this social media blocking does sound very juvenile although you seem to find it fairly normal . I'd think twice about getting too friendly again with such immature people.

I really don't find it normal, and I'm quite surprised at their behaviour. I've never come across this sort of thing before and I too find it very juvenile and immature. Obviously people do sometimes fall out but to block contact like that is what I'd expect from my 10 year old niece and her friends, not fully grown adults. In fact that's an insult to my wonderful niece who I know for a fact is more mature than that!
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Keep the presents (particularly the ones for your daughter), send a brief thank-you note, and then get on with your life. Simples.
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    You could put pen to paper (assuming there is no other way to contact them) and ask whether under the circumstances they would like the gifts returned before Xmas? Put the ball in their court.

Add in that if you don't hear back by Xmas you will assume they still wish you to have the gifts as they were given before the 'unfortunate event' (enter whatever happened) In which case you accept them graciously and (only enter this is you do / want) feel it is a shame that X years of friendship has ended in such a way. Or just put that you value the friendship you had, and wish them well in the future.

Reading between the lines it sounds like there is some jealously or mis-interpretation of circumstances to do with your daughter (perhaps friends who don't quite 'get' how a little one changes things in peoples lives). Or a difference of opinion. If the friendship is of value I hope you can sort out your differences eventually, if not - its one less card to write next year.x
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Sarastro
    Options
    I'd say be as generous and as adult as you possibly can be.

I guess they bought the presents for all the right reasons and the row came later? I'd treat the presents as the gifts they were intended to be - give them to your daughter and say thank you on her behalf. You won't lose anything by doing that. And leave it at that - they might regret what they've done.
    Debt 1/1/17 - Credit Cards £17,280.23; overdrafts £3,777.24
    Debt 5/1/18 - Credit Cards £3,188; overdrafts £0
  • chesky
    chesky Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Perhaps the gifts are a kind of peace offering, or at least an initial gesture at one. Maybe they want to make up and think this might be the way to do it.
  • seashore22
    seashore22 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    chesky wrote: »
    Perhaps the gifts are a kind of peace offering, or at least an initial gesture at one. Maybe they want to make up and think this might be the way to do it.

I think the gifts came before the falling out, so I don't think you can read anything into the gift giving.
  • chesky
    chesky Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    Options
    Apologies, I misread the first post.
  • paddy's_mum
    Options
    kerri_gt wrote: »
    ask whether...they would like the gifts returned before Xmas? Put the ball in their court.

Sorry but this is the last thing I would do since it gives the former friends the opportunity to make spiteful hay, whichever way it played out. Can't you just hear it...?

Scenario 1. Do y' know what..they even tried to reject the gifts we had sent to a little baby. What sort of people are they that dare suggest we wanted them returned...!!!

Scenario 2. They even wrote and asked if we wanted the gifts returned. If we had said yes, they'd have crowed to everyone how mean spirited we are. If we said no, then they've taken our generosity in spite of knowing how upset we are and how short of money...!!!

I'm with others who say accept the gifts for the child and write a thank you on her behalf and charity shop the others.

There are no winners in this but you can, and should, be the bigger person who doesn't stoop to point scoring. Leave the histrionics to the former friends :)
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    cyantist wrote: »
    I really don't find it normal, and I'm quite surprised at their behaviour. I've never come across this sort of thing before and I too find it very juvenile and immature. Obviously people do sometimes fall out but to block contact like that is what I'd expect from my 10 year old niece and her friends, not fully grown adults. In fact that's an insult to my wonderful niece who I know for a fact is more mature than that!

Well to be honest it depends on what you've done! (Or what they think you've done.)
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    Options
    The simplest is to return them.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure