Car Park Investment - Is it a Scam?

1131415161719»

Comments

• masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,262 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 23 April 2020 at 8:37PM
    iambrad said:
    Along with a considerable number of investors we are now progressing with a group action against Aston Darby with the help of ClaimExperts.co.uk / Smooth Law. Any investor interested should visit claim experts site and sign up there. The more investors we get on this action the better for all of us.
    I hope it's no win no fee.
    Does Aston Darby actually have any assets with which to satisfy the legal claims? I see they have been using the accounting year shortening trick to avoid filing any accounts.

• iambrad
    iambrad Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post

Hi. Yes it’s a no win no fee.I’m satisfied it’s the right choice.
    That is a great spot there thank you.Ive been meaning to check them again! Aston Darby bragged Manchester sold out and limited spaces left at Glasgow! Let’s say they sold 2000 spaces at £25000 each.Where’s the £50 million income accounted to?And if they can’t pay returns. Her majesty has got zero chance of getting any tax!
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,262 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    iambrad said:
    Let’s say they sold 2000 spaces at £25000 each.Where’s the £50 million income accounted to?And if they can’t pay returns. Her majesty has got zero chance of getting any tax!
    If it's a scam, which it seems to be, then money will have been siphoned out of the company as fast as possible. No doubt some to fund the lavish lifestyles of those behind the scam, probably quite a lot was paid out in commission to those promoting the scam, and there also will have been expenses from those providing other services that allowed the scam to operate.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 24 April 2020 at 8:14AM
    iambrad said:
    Let’s say they sold 2000 spaces at £25000 each. Where’s the £50 million income accounted to?

If you paid £25k for an 'investment', it's likely that up to 50% (or more) of that was paid as commission to the salesperson you spoke to on the phone who sold you that investment.

Then the salesperson's boss would take their commission on top, and everyone else in the chain would take their commission.

Just for info, below is a link to a news story about an unregulated investment where the 'Adviser' who sold it got up to 65% commission. Others in the chain would have got their commission as well.

So perhaps that's the going rate for sales commission in this sector.

In this case, the 'Adviser' ended up in court for telling punters lies about the investment - probably because of the attraction of  the 65% commission. 

Link: https://citywire.co.uk/new-model-adviser/news/adviser-was-paid-65-commission-on-unregulated-scheme/a776792
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,838 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 July 2020 at 9:17PM
    Firms liquidated over 'unscrupulous' airport car parks

• Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 July 2020 at 4:53PM
    I often wondered through this whole fiasco what airport car parks actually sell for, and may have found an answer. It seems that some land near Glasgow Airport with planning permission for over 1000 parking spaces is on the market with an asking price of £7 million.
    I imagine to that £7 million you would have to add the cost of a bit of tarmac, a fence around the perimeter and some white paint before you could run it as a car park. But even then, looked at purely as a share of the total value, investors who paid £25K per space were paying something north of three times the land's actual worth.
    I don't think any Chinese billionares will be wanting to buy individual spaces for £30K when they can buy a whole car park full of them for a fraction of the cost per space.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback